• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Curios....how many people would love a hard top convertible?

Lakersfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang GT
I don't think the Mustang has ever had a hard top convertible model, but I hate the soft top. I would love a hard top convertible like the Camaros or Corvettes.
Sponsored

YamenGT650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2024 PP
Me too, i owned a soft top, and i hate it… they age quite badly… but also the hard top usually breaks down after a couple of years due to complex mechanical movements.

keithwalton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue Ember Dark Horse on order, Mercedes SLC
There used to be a lot of hard top convertibles in Europe but they've pretty much all gone.
Merc SLK/C is gone, the SL is back to a soft top. Audi TT is gone, all the major 'CC' (ford, vw, pug) have all gone.

I have a 7 year old Mercedes SLC that has a mostly glass / metal hard top.
Until a year ago i had a 2001 SLK which had an all metal roof. I had it for 6 years and put 60k miles on it (160k in total) never had an issue with the roof on either.

I'd love a newer version of it, but impossible to find this side of the pond

Last edited:

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos
I love the IDEA of a hard top convertible, but there's a reason they all went back to soft. They added a ton of weight and were prone to breaking. I'm totally good with a soft top. I park in a garage so I don't worry too much about it aging too quickly from the sun. Some of the hard top convertibles looked goofy too. A classic American convertible should have a classic American soft top IMO.

YamenGT650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2024 PP
You'd trust Ford to design, engineer and repair this??? I wouldn't.
20240405_165308.jpg
True, too complex to nail right, and would probably leak like a mesh.

24grabbergt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 mustang gt premium
I would love them if they were like the coupe corvette, take the two roof panels off and boom

The Ghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium Fastback
Honestly what I would love is a glass roof option like they used to do in 2009. I understand they weren't popular at the time, but so many more cars have them as options now. Even the Mach-E.

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
Soft top 100% over a hard top. Keep the trunk space and have a convertible. This was one of the selling points for us as the top didn’t stow in the trunk. I don’t know if the hard top would be able to do the same.

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I would be more opened to a targa top versus a convertible hard top. My father has a C8 convertible hard top and hasn't had any issues with it and that's GM. As long as Ford could guarantee adequate R&D and not too much additional weight, a targa top would be awesome.

Oh yea, do that while somehow retaining the shark fin. Don't give me the rear antenna like on the convertible Mustangs (no offense to those that own them. Just not a fan).

YamenGT650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2024 PP

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos
You'd trust Ford to design, engineer and repair this??? I wouldn't.
20240405_165308.jpg
So true!

I think this is a BMW? I had a 4-series convertible as a rental (soft top) recently. One of the things I didn't like about it was when the top was down you lost a ton of trunk space. I'm impressed with how much cargo room there is in the Mustang and love that they maintain it even with the top down.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
So true!

I think this is a BMW? I had a 4-series convertible as a rental (soft top) recently. One of the things I didn't like about it was when the top was down you lost a ton of trunk space. I'm impressed with how much cargo room there is in the Mustang and love that they maintain it even with the top down.
Mine is a previous generation 4 series. It has a fold down rear setback and pass through panel. Even with the top down I can get two full size golf bags in. The roof panels stack themselves and it basically takes up the top half of the cargo area. It can also be raised up to access the cargo space.
S650 Mustang Curios....how many people would love a hard top convertible? 1000001519

S650 Mustang Curios....how many people would love a hard top convertible? 1000002610
Sponsored