• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
You know, looking more closely at this EB above and the new Aussie Supercar, I see a lot more "shark nose" (or slant, however you want to call it) on S650 than on S550. It's very reminiscent of Gen1 - especially the Shelby models.

Tonystark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang 4-Turbo w/Pony package
Looks good in those photos. I like the 'plain' hood as opposed to the center heat extractor on the GT, even thought I prefer the dual heat extractors on my '19, via '67, '68. I think, IMO, a lot of GT buyers will one day opt to replace their hood with the 4T hood.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GT
2015, 2018, 2024, EB grille beats GT grille every time.

Reactions: JWS

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Been meaning to talk about this particular detail of the S650's design as I think it's one of its strongest elements. The S550 and S650 both have an awesome canvas to work with in terms of proportions, starting with a fast roofline coupled to a long hood and short rear decklid; classic RWD sporting proportions.

The way the MY15 S550, MY18+ S550, and S650 all handle the surfacing of the hood is similar but with key distinctions. What they all share in common is a bone line that originates from the edge of the cowl running into the nose that frames the grille, and another that runs along and defines the fender's shoulder.

The original S550 kicked things off with a big emphasis on central elevation of the hood, with the primary character lines creating a raised surface that remains level and constant without any bordering valleys. This was further emphasized with a second set of lines that formed a power dome in the middle. The outer line delineating the fender's edge can be seen but is not emphasized with any negative space, like an immediate valley or crease. Instead, you have a single accompanying surface change that runs parallel to the main line emphasizing said elevation change (in yellow).

The result created a "powerful" look with a raised hood and emphasis on the center elements. Less visual emphasis on the fenders and overall width of the car.

S650 Mustang Couple of new EcoBoost S650 Mustang photos [from Texas State Fair] 2015-ford-mustang-revealed-in-ingot-silver-photo-gallery_1

The MY18+ refresh changed quite more than people would expect at a glance and actually places much more emphasis on the illusion of width and sharp lines. The differences start with the origin point at the cowl, where the base swells upward and recalls late 60s-early 70s Mustangs that had similar cues (also seen on GT350 and GT500). Instead of a straight line from the A-pillar quarter window, it curves before continuing in familiar fashion to the end point marking the grille frame's edges.

Two things are significantly different here; first is the emphasis on both the fender line and hood line, with both of said lines bordered by two sharp and defined valleys. For starters, this makes these creases pop and creates the illusion of added width, partly because the most outboard feature of the car--the fenders--is being highlighted, and partly because the valley between both primary lines is now widened. Further, because of the cowl treatment and removal of the hood bulge, the entire nose looks flatter and wider. More sport, less muscle-pony.

S650 Mustang Couple of new EcoBoost S650 Mustang photos [from Texas State Fair] 2022-Ford-Mustang-California-Special-Header-1

Which brings us back to the S650. Part of why I've grown to love this design is that you can tell that the designers have really refined the existing styling elements by cleaning everything up. You have the same primary lines, but the treatment is a bit of a hybrid of the MY15/MY18+ with a healthy dose of its own identity.

They reverted to the MY15 S550's emphasis on central features and length. The primary line shoots out from the base of the A-pillar and remains fairly straight to the grille's edge. This, coupled with the forward leaning nose, creates a ton of visual length which is always attractive. They retained the best part of the MY18+ S550, which is the fender definition with its accompanying creased valley.

What I really like is how they created a taught surface from central lines to the fender's valley, and they created an uninterrupted surface elevation in the middle from hood line to hood line. It might look a little flat in photos, but I promise you that this will look long, low, and wide in person. The reintroduction of a subtle hood bulge adds just enough visual interest down the middle without being too exaggerated. It's worth noting that they created recessed valleys around the lines that create this bulge, so it retains the same visual impact as the original S550, but it's not actually protruding to the same degree. Why's that neat? You get the visual of a dome without interrupting the illusion of width (or even length when viewed in profile).

S650 Mustang Couple of new EcoBoost S650 Mustang photos [from Texas State Fair] S650 EB 1

I'm seriously excited to see these in person and have a feeling that the basic design itself will hold up better than the S550. I say this as someone who was initially hyper-critical, FWIW.

Last edited: