• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

clunking/small knocking when light braking

5.DREW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse Premium
Good Morning Everyone, I've been hearing this sort of clunking noise coming from my dark horse handling package for about the last week or so, it only seems to do it on light braking. I had a ford tech look over it and they couldn't find anything but when I put it on a lift my lower control arms seem to have a lot of play which i'm not sure if that's normal because this is my first mustang, i also noticed scrape marks going around the entire inner wheel so something has to be wrong, any advice or feedback would be appreciated!
Sponsored

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
LOL no that is not normal. WELL maybe it is now considered normal with Ford's junk quality they keep rolling out of the factory but for any new car it is not normal at all.

As a general rule, if there is a 12 o'clock / 6 o'clock wiggle it is probably a ball joint. If there is a 9 o'clock / 3 o'clock wiggle it is probably a tie rod. If it is wiggling all over, it is probably the wheel bearing.

Get another opinion from a different tech/dealer. Tell them that you jacked the car up in the air and are noticing the wheel wiggling. Take a short video of it too and show them if needed. Sometimes it can be a lot of work to get a dealer to fix things that should not have already broke. They are especially not motivated to help you since it would be a warranty fix... let me translate: no money for them to make.

Without fixing this, the clunking will continue and eventually get worse as it gets more worn out.

SSuperDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Grabber Blue, 2007 Mustang
I am in service at a Ford dealer, and I assure you that we get paid for warranty work, and pretty well. I don't know where the myth started that we have to do it for free, I have never worked for a manufacturer where that was the case.
You said you had a Ford tech look at it, was it at the dealership, or someone you knew looking at it as a favor? I'd agree that it does not sound normal, but what we often end up doing, especially with a new model, is comparing it to another car to see if there are any differences.
Yeah, out product quality needs work, but hasn't stopped me from ordering a new '24 GT :)

OP
OP
5.DREW

5.DREW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am in service at a Ford dealer, and I assure you that we get paid for warranty work, and pretty well. I don't know where the myth started that we have to do it for free, I have never worked for a manufacturer where that was the case.
You said you had a Ford tech look at it, was it at the dealership, or someone you knew looking at it as a favor? I'd agree that it does not sound normal, but what we often end up doing, especially with a new model, is comparing it to another car to see if there are any differences.
Yeah, out product quality needs work, but hasn't stopped me from ordering a new '24 GT :)
Took it to a dealer, he test drove it and didn’t hear it, so I took him for a ride and got it to make the noise, he said he looked and “everything looked good”

OP
OP
5.DREW

5.DREW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S650 Mustang clunking/small knocking when light braking IMG_0041

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Warranty work is not free, I never said that. Dealers still get paid for warranty work but the money is coming from Ford... someone that a dealer can't exactly rip off and charge huge amounts of money or have fat margins. Plenty of dealers would rather service cars out of warranty to rip off the unsuspecting and uninformed consumer. đź› 

SSuperDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You said "no money for them to make". I'll take warranty work all day long, just fix it and move on, no one to argue with or have to sell something to.
Regardless, that does not look right to me. I don't know how someone can ignore witness marks though. You should not have to, but you might take it to another dealer. In our area, we are the "second opinion" dealer because some of the others don't seem to care and will broom something that looks like it might be a problem.

SSuperDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My position as well, and we receive our $ from Ford within a few days of submission. Each job has a set flat rate labor hour time, warranty or customer pay, and that is the limit, not the sky, and there is no OT. 40 years of this and my experiences are different than your friend's are, unless he works for a giant dealer group like Sonic or Autonation. Lots of misconceptions about this. If someone is a dealer hater, nothing I say will change their minds.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Good Morning Everyone, I've been hearing this sort of clunking noise coming from my dark horse handling package for about the last week or so, it only seems to do it on light braking. I had a ford tech look over it and they couldn't find anything but when I put it on a lift my lower control arms seem to have a lot of play which i'm not sure if that's normal because this is my first mustang, i also noticed scrape marks going around the entire inner wheel so something has to be wrong, any advice or feedback would be appreciated!
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Mustang concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.
Sponsored