• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

BoostRabbitGT Test Drives Cars! (compared to the S650 Mustang)

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EcoBoost (101A)
In lieu of what used to be here, have a (hopefully) quicknotes version below!

First, the Mustang GTs. Universally I think they have more than adequate throttle response for my style of driving, both in Normal and Sport+, and steering weight all around (I tested with Sport steering) feels more communicative between road and driver, but with noticeably lighter steering weight compared to the S550's Sport steering mode.

Base Performance Pack: best at handling, worst at road noise, uncertain about ride quality

Premium w/optional 20" wheels: I felt less confident taking turns spiritedly with this setup, rides notably harsher than 18"/19" wheels

Base w/standard 18" wheels: most comfortable, nice handling, 3.55 gear ratio was smooth

Premium w/standard 19" wheels: maybe slightly less comfortable than the 18" wheels, but nice ride almost as, if not comparable to, the 18"s, 3.15 gears were smooth in Normal and Sport+ modes

California Special Convertible: less rear visibility than coupe, better handling than 20" wheels, 3.15 gearing was slightly choppy when changing gears at low/city speeds.

Premium Performance Pack with Magneride: better than base PP, stiff but planted ride even with MR (still better than 20" wheels), slightly more steering weight than non-PP?, standard exhaust is quieter than '18-23 standard

And now for the competition!

'23 Charger R/T: quieter V8 and more practical, but significantly less confident in the turns
'19 Porsche Panamera: a full-size sedan that turns more like a compact sedan, nice V6 sound
'23 Mustang Mach 1 (stickshift): Hey, I remember how to transition from idle to motion!
'23 Hyundai Sonata N-Line: sounds better than my EcoBoost, but loses grunt quickly at mid/high range
'24 Sonata Hybrid Limited: The '19 Sonata Hybrid had a much smoother transmission and better brakes/feel.
'16 Shelby GT350: Hey, I can smoothly transition from idle to motion! And it sounds nicer than I thought it would!
'24 Subaru WRX (manual): ...and then with this one I stalled so many times and the shifter felt a lot more clunky than the Tremec.

'23 Toyota Prius Limited (FWD): nowhere near as fast as a 'Stang, but possibly just as fun around the corners...?
'18 Camaro ZL1 (modded): I didn't feel like I was in a bathtub (the outside visibility was decent enough for me minus potential blind spots, definitely not as assuring as the Mustang), but the modded exhaust sound/noise kept me from wanting to try this vehicle at the roundabouts where it probably would've shined.

'23 Genesis G70 (3.3T V6 RWD): luxury or performance compact sedan? not to my tastes either way...
'23 Mercedes-Benz E450: Build Quality - the vehicle...does everything well, but too quiet for my liking except at high RPMs

'24 Subaru WRX (CVT): rough ride, light steering, quiet at low RPMs, nice sound at mid/high RPMs, drone was just loud enough to be annoying/distressing, overall DISAPPOINTED!

'23 Challenger R/T Scat Pack: handled better than the Charger, sounded great, feels spacious inside (good practicality and front view, but felt like I was in a massive battle station room with conflicted side visibility), disliked the infotainment layout/response time.

'19 Camaro 1SS: excellent handling and performance at the cost of really bad blind spots at the B/C pillars...and that it's the Camaro SS refresh before it actually looked refreshed and not just hit with the ugly stick and left to question life alone.
Sponsored

Last edited:

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Regardless of what you do, you should learn how to drive a stick. You never know -- you might be out with someone (who is driving a stick) who gets injured and can't drive back. ;)

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
(The short version: I test drove a GT350 today, which turned out to be a surprisingly enjoyable experience. I liked the transmission and loved the sound of the Voodoo from the inside of the vehicle! But I probably wouldn't buy it as a daily driver though, unless...?)

Today I got the opportunity to test drive a used GT350. After the salesperson drove it to a relatively secluded area, he trained me on how to smoothly transition from idle to motion. And I was able to do so! I even got to fourth gear this time! That Tremec is truly something else, I'm not sure if I could do what I did today on a Getrag-equipped GT after that. It's a lot smoother than the transmission from the '24 WRX I test drove later today, that's for sure (I never stalled with the Tremec, not even once---the WRX however...many times ☹). Afterwards, the salesperson drove the car back to the dealership and really let that Voodoo engine sing! I have to say, the first time I heard it in person years ago, I was not impressed at all (I thought it sounded too shrill and treble-y for my liking). But inside and outside the GT350 now...absolute music to my ears!

Overall, I'd definitely consider getting a used GT350 if I had the opportunity to. However, seeing as my next car would replace my daily driver, I'd be highly concerned with the vehicle's reliability, especially with the stories I've heard about the Voodoo's durability alongside oil consumption. My other concern would be if I really want to daily drive a stick-shift for the next 5-6 years, and personally, as great as the Voodoo was, I'm still not honestly convinced I'd want to do so. Lastly, I'd probably want to go with the '18-20 GT350s if I wanted to pull the trigger on a used one (the one I test drove was a '16), ideally under 10K miles, maybe under 20K miles.

For now though, my target remains a '24+ GT...with or without the Performance Pack AND Magneride. A little less than a year and a half to go until I've fully paid off my EcoBoost...and only then will I likely know if a GT is doable as my next daily driver.

As a 350 owner- I wouldnt daily drive my car .....

The issue with the VooDoo is really a few things

1. If you want them to be reliable, you have to leave them 100% COMPLETELY stock
2. They are more temperamental then the Coyote- there are rules you need to follow (limit RPMs until oil temperature reaches certain level, checking oil constantly exc
3. If 90-100% of your driving is at the track at close to redline.....the VooDoo wont last as long as the Coyote

Lots of YouTube videos with people trying to get clicks- only to find out later the car was tuned on E85 or something .....

Im at 15K miles on mine- driven aggressively on the street- no oil burning....so far no issues- has been 100% reliable- over the last year at least on the forums, its rare to see anyone have an engine failure ....

Lots of people love to trash talk- I mean we see the same thing here on the S650 with people calling it a sales failure, slower, 500 pounds heavier then the S650, low dyno numbers, exc.

OP
OP
BoostRabbitGT

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EcoBoost (101A)
I've updated the test drive list to be a lot more concise than it was originally. The next question to address is...should I put my S650 GT impressions in that first post as well (I've test driven one with the Performance Pack and three without it but with different square tire/wheel sizes)?

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I've updated the test drive list to be a lot more concise than it was originally. The next question to address is...should I put my S650 GT impressions in that first post as well (I've test driven one with the Performance Pack and three without it but with different square tire/wheel sizes)?
Imo, yes, all in one place makes it easier to find. Or add a link to the latest ‘information’. As in first post mentions it and the mention becomes a link and the link goes to the post with the details.

OP
OP
BoostRabbitGT

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EcoBoost (101A)
Now for contrast, here are my quick impressions for various S650 GTs I've test driven. (A summary of these is available in the original post.)

(All test drives so far were done with the 10-speed automatic.)

Base Performance Pack: First hands-on experience with the S650. The main things that stuck out to me were the lighter steering weight and the sound of dirt and asphalt underneath the car. The latter was notably louder than what I thought it would be...I didn't remember the S550 Performance Pack having that much outside sound pick up inside, with or without Magneride. However, I did find that despite the lighter steering weight, the S650 had better communication between the road and my steering inputs. I think between all the GTs I've tested, the Performance Pack handles the best, but for me the extra sound underneath me would be enough not to get it.

Premium w/optional 20" wheels: Immediately I found that noise underneath the car was more quiet than the Performance Pack. As for the ride, it felt more unsettled whenever hitting bumps or uneven surfaces on the road. In the end, I wouldn't have picked this option since I don't like the wheel design in the first place, but it was a worthwhile experience to get a baseline for how the non-Performance Pack cars feel.

Base w/standard 18" wheels: Okay, this is where I started getting impressed with what the GT had to offer me personally. Smooth ride, smooth throttle response in both Normal and Sport+ mode. The base brakes are interesting as the fronts are Brembos, and they seem a pinch more grabby than the non Performance Pack S550s. Not a dealbreaker, but something to be mindful of if someone likes doing "chauffeur stops", or stopping so smoothly it's practically imperceivable.

Premium w/standard 19" wheels: Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference between this model and the base model's ride quality or throttle response. I know they changed the all-seasons from Pirelli to Continental, but I also think there's been some additional damping done in the suspension. The ride is notably less stiff than my base EcoBoost (S550), that's for sure. I think after this particular test drive, I'd be going with either the base model with or without the optional 19" polished aluminum rims, or the Premium model with those optional 19" rims or a California Special.

California Special Vert: There's slightly/moderately less rear visibility than the coupe and it handled slightly better than the coupe I test drove with 20" wheels. Probably the most noteworthy thing from this test drive was that the 3.15 gearing felt slightly choppy when changing gears at low/city speeds. But this might simply be a combination of being a new vehicle and me not regularly accelerating to 2000 RPM from standstill (a habit carried over from my EcoBoost, I'll admit). Interesting experience, but personally I'll stick with the fastback. (As a sidenote, I just want to say that I absolutely love the California Special's front grille. I know it has nothing to do with the test drive, but I wonder if they'd sell this grille (not necessarily California Special branded, but identical otherwise) as a standalone item. Add an optional mountable pony badge in the center and it'd make an instantly unique look in my opinion.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
BoostRabbitGT

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EcoBoost (101A)
I finally got to test drive a Camaro, of which impressions are updated in the first post.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BoostRabbitGT

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EcoBoost (101A)
Today I test drove a GT Premium Performance Pack with Magneride. The driving experience was good, a bit stiffer on bumps than non-PP GTs (yes, even with MR, but admittedly some of the roads here are in quite rough condition), yet more than acceptable for what the Perfomance Pack is designed to do. It's still better in my mind than the 20" wheel setup, and somehow less noisy than the base Performance Pack (as far as road and wind noise is concerned). This model lacked the active exhaust, but here it's less noisy than the '18-23 non-active exhaust GTs.

However, the real reason I test drove this particular GT was to test the B&O sound system on the highway (along with some city driving too). It REALLY isn't worth it. Playing with the car's system equalizer made it sound inconsistent between my playlist (bass/mid/treble and volume were all off, and I don't want to have to readjust the b/m/t for each track all the time), something that my EcoBoost's factory 9-speaker system didn't and doesn't have a problem with. And as I've mentioned elsewhere, the sound setup is still largely front-based so it doesn't remotely come across as a quality surround sound experience in the car. I'm not a hardcore audiophile by any means, but I'm sure they would likely do a better job than what this B&O system brings to the table.

TLDR: Stick with the 6- or 9-speaker setup if given a choice between those and the B&O.

And with that I believe I've test driven all the wheel/tire setups possible on a GT, give or take. I also have an idea of what I want from a GT. Surprisingly though, I find myself cooling off on it after today. Not because the GT's bad or anything like that. If anything, I think I have full confidence now with waiting for the right time to get one. It may happen next year, it may not, but now I can say I'm absolutely not in a rush at all. If I don't get a GT, I still have my trusty EcoBoost for the long haul. (...or I can just get a fully loaded Prius and drive it the way it was never intended to be.)

(Still waiting on the '25-26 colors...)

Rocket Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 2024 GT (soon)
I think you should get the Prius. If the Mustang just doesn't speak to you, get something that does. For me, I don't care if it has a sound system or not, I'm not buying a car like this for the stereo. The music I care about comes out the rear of the car.

10basscat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I agree with Rocket Man- just get the Prius! I don’t think you’ll find one GT owner on these forums who was torn between a Mustang GT and a Prius except you! Clearly you like /want a GT but it just doesn’t work for you for a variety of reasons so all you do is try to find reasons why the GT isn’t for you. For those of us that bought it it’s perfect-it’s just not for you and that’s ok!

edit: if there’s one thing I’ve learned it’s don’t buy a car to make it the car you want when you could’ve just bought the car you wanted to begin with…

Last edited:

Radiant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Ecoboost Convertible (ordered), '18 Ecoboost
Today I test drove a GT Premium Performance Pack with Magneride. The driving experience was good, a bit stiffer on bumps than non-PP GTs (yes, even with MR, but admittedly some of the roads here are in quite rough condition), yet more than acceptable for what the Perfomance Pack is designed to do.
I'm glad you got to try it out! Yes, it basically "mellows" the Performance Pack. You've now driven the most refined version of what is otherwise an aggressive machine.

Surprisingly though, I find myself cooling off on it after today.
Not surprised, you're starting to think about the car in real-world terms versus a spec sheet. A lot of the things you've mentioned interest in like suspension tuning or trying out enthusiast driving are things you can do in your current car.

OP
OP
BoostRabbitGT

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EcoBoost (101A)
I think you should get the Prius. If the Mustang just doesn't speak to you, get something that does. For me, I don't care if it has a sound system or not, I'm not buying a car like this for the stereo. The music I care about comes out the rear of the car.
The GT still speaks (sings, even) to me, moreso with the active exhaust than the standard one. "Cooled off" was probably the wrong term to use. I most likely meant "calmed down" in the sense that I now know exactly how I'd spec it (again, barring any new/returning colors in the future). As I've said before the GT is my goal, but I'm also open to more practical vehicles like the Prius (which I also know exactly how I'd spec it).

I agree with Rocket Man- just get the Prius! I don’t think you’ll find one GT owner on these forums who was torn between a Mustang GT and a Prius except you! Clearly you like /want a GT but it just doesn’t work for you for a variety of reasons so all you do is try to find reasons why the GT isn’t for you. For those of us that bought it it’s perfect-it’s just not for you and that’s ok!

edit: if there’s one thing I’ve learned it’s don’t buy a car to make it the car you want when you could’ve just bought the car you wanted to begin with…
Hey, there's a first for everything! :rockon: I don't know, am I the only one who tries to test drive vehicles with a completely blank/neutral mindset prior to doing it (doing my research and due diligence beforehand)? I test drove multiple GTs to get a feel for the different options available. As examples, ride quality could've changed noticeably between the 18"/19"/20"/PP tires/wheels, and acceleration/braking might have felt different between the gear ratios and brake packages available. It's very likely I'm being overanalytical, but I need hands-on experience with cars to understand what I'm getting, even if the differences are ultimately subtle.

I'm glad you got to try it out! Yes, it basically "mellows" the Performance Pack. You've now driven the most refined version of what is otherwise an aggressive machine.

Not surprised, you're starting to think about the car in real-world terms versus a spec sheet. A lot of the things you've mentioned interest in like suspension tuning or trying out enthusiast driving are things you can do in your current car.
Yeah, the Performance Pack GT simply isn't for me, not as a potential daily driver. A standard GT or GT Premium with the Active Exhaust would be more than enough in my book.

As for modding the GT, I've decided that I'll stick to strictly cosmetic/visual exterior stuff. And so far that's only if I get the California Special in Oxford White (and I'm still undecided if I'd even do that).

Can you spot the differences?
S650 Mustang BoostRabbitGT Test Drives Cars! (compared to the S650 Mustang) gtcs01

S650 Mustang BoostRabbitGT Test Drives Cars! (compared to the S650 Mustang) gtcs01-edit

Last edited:

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
Today I test drove a GT Premium Performance Pack with Magneride. The driving experience was good, a bit stiffer on bumps than non-PP GTs (yes, even with MR, but admittedly some of the roads here are in quite rough condition), yet more than acceptable for what the Perfomance Pack is designed to do. It's still better in my mind than the 20" wheel setup, and somehow less noisy than the base Performance Pack (as far as road and wind noise is concerned). This model lacked the active exhaust, but here it's less noisy than the '18-23 non-active exhaust GTs.

However, the real reason I test drove this particular GT was to test the B&O sound system on the highway (along with some city driving too). It REALLY isn't worth it. Playing with the car's system equalizer made it sound inconsistent between my playlist (bass/mid/treble and volume were all off, and I don't want to have to readjust the b/m/t for each track all the time), something that my EcoBoost's factory 9-speaker system didn't and doesn't have a problem with. And as I've mentioned elsewhere, the sound setup is still largely front-based so it doesn't remotely come across as a quality surround sound experience in the car. I'm not a hardcore audiophile by any means, but I'm sure they would likely do a better job than what this B&O system brings to the table.

TLDR: Stick with the 6- or 9-speaker setup if given a choice between those and the B&O.

And with that I believe I've test driven all the wheel/tire setups possible on a GT, give or take. I also have an idea of what I want from a GT. Surprisingly though, I find myself cooling off on it after today. Not because the GT's bad or anything like that. If anything, I think I have full confidence now with waiting for the right time to get one. It may happen next year, it may not, but now I can say I'm absolutely not in a rush at all. If I don't get a GT, I still have my trusty EcoBoost for the long haul. (...or I can just get a fully loaded Prius and drive it the way it was never intended to be.)

(Still waiting on the '25-26 colors...)
You crack me up…Obviously you are not a V8 guy otherwise you would not worry about the sound system , consider a Prius that comes auto only or would drive a Mustang with a 4 cylinder that as fake as a Camaro V6 or Challenger with a Pentastar…🤣 Its funny to me how some people would even cross shop cars like a Prius or a 5.0 GT…But obviously the GT did not yank your chain ! Good luck 🍀 on finding what makes you happy as we are all in search 🔍 of the perfect vehicle 🚗👍
Sponsored