• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

BoostRabbitGT Test Drives Various Vehicles (4-18 TESTDRIVE HIATUS + MUSTANG MUSINGS)

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
FOR THE MODS: Would this thread be better suited for the Off Topic Lounge?

The past few days, I've had the opportunity to test drive three vehicles as well as finally getting hands-on a '24 Mustang GT (I would've test drove one more, but my local dealership won't have new Prius' in stock until April/May). Let's get the non-'24 vehicles out of the way first.

First was a Last Call Charger R/T. It's definitely more practical than a Mustang just from having four doors, but I didn't like the "boatlike" handling...it did not inspire confidence at all attempting to take turns "spiritedly" (it was fine at regular daily-driving speeds). That was enough for me to cross it off my list. I will say it sounded nice, even though it was surprisingly quieter inside than a Mustang GT (or is it the Scat Pack and beyond that are supposed to be loud inside and out?). I can't imagine how the V6 GT would handle in comparison (hopefully better?).

Second was a base model Panamera, which was very surprising to see as where I'm at there are precisely zero Porsche dealerships locally. Unlike the Charger it had very precise handling, and the V6 had a surprisingly pleasing sound as well as non-laggy turbo performance. Price ultimately prevents me from acquiring it, as well as my personal preference of having AWD in such a sedan. (Sidenote: The Panamera did not look at all like a large sedan, nor did it feel like one either.)

Third was a '23 Mach 1 in Eruption Green, fully optioned with everything. This would've been the perfect vehicle for me...if it wasn't a manual. Now, this time I was able to test-drive it briefly, and by briefly I mean I was able to consistently go from clutch to gas without stalling the vehicle in a medium sized empty parking lot. It was a very jerky, yet satisfactory experience. Honestly though I can't see myself taking time off from work just to learn stick-shift, nor do I really have the desire to daily-drive a manual. Whoever ends up getting this Mach 1 though, I'll definitely be happy for them. (Of note: I could actually feel the vented seats doing their thing, and the sound even on Quiet Mode was glorious!)

And finally, my experience with the '24 Mustang GT. This one had the Performance Pack without MagneRide. The TLDR is that the Mustang GT will be my next car someday, hopefully next year at the earliest. It may not be without its gripes---road noise was fine on regular roads, but very loud on roads with loose dirt/gravel (I don't know if this is PP-specific or not), and although I ended up pleasantly surprised with the separate screen setup (301A as opposed to a Premium model), I still don't know how I'll feel if I need to adjust the A/C while driving. But I LOVED how it handled...despite the lighter steering feel even on Sport Mode, I thought it communicated better to me than my current '19 EcoBoost. I really hope the handling experience I had isn't exclusive to the Performance Pack GTs. And of course the sound...for context, when I first test drove an '18 GT I thought the sound was obnoxious at the low RPMs. Turns out six years later that I just wasn't used to the low rumble of V8s because I test drove this GT with the Active Exhaust on Sport the entire time! Beautiful from the lows to the highs! Brakes were very smooth as well.

That's all for now. Please, let me know how the non-Performance Pack GTs handle in comparison to the PP GTs if you have experienced both! Thank you everyone!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
BoostRabbitGT

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
I guess for anyone who doesn't want to read the short novel above...

1. Charger R/T: Nice sound, lots of room, but handles like a large car when taking turns spiritedly.

2. Panamera: If the GT wasn't my goal, I would gladly get a mildly used one. Handles and sounds great.

3. Mach 1: Excellent overall, but further solidified that I'm not getting a manual for daily driving.

4. Mustang GT: The goal for 2025. Most likely without the performance pack, I just hope it handles well for days where I want to take turns at speed, even without the PP.

More test drives coming soon hopefully in the near future...🙃

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Regardless of what you do, you should learn how to drive a stick. You never know -- you might be out with someone (who is driving a stick) who gets injured and can't drive back. ;)

OP
OP
BoostRabbitGT

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
(The short version: I test drove a GT350 today, which turned out to be a surprisingly enjoyable experience. I liked the transmission and loved the sound of the Voodoo from the inside of the vehicle! But I probably wouldn't buy it as a daily driver though, unless...?)

Today I got the opportunity to test drive a used GT350. After the salesperson drove it to a relatively secluded area, he trained me on how to smoothly transition from idle to motion. And I was able to do so! I even got to fourth gear this time! That Tremec is truly something else, I'm not sure if I could do what I did today on a Getrag-equipped GT after that. It's a lot smoother than the transmission from the '24 WRX I test drove later today, that's for sure (I never stalled with the Tremec, not even once---the WRX however...many times ☹). Afterwards, the salesperson drove the car back to the dealership and really let that Voodoo engine sing! I have to say, the first time I heard it in person years ago, I was not impressed at all (I thought it sounded too shrill and treble-y for my liking). But inside and outside the GT350 now...absolute music to my ears!

Overall, I'd definitely consider getting a used GT350 if I had the opportunity to. However, seeing as my next car would replace my daily driver, I'd be highly concerned with the vehicle's reliability, especially with the stories I've heard about the Voodoo's durability alongside oil consumption. My other concern would be if I really want to daily drive a stick-shift for the next 5-6 years, and personally, as great as the Voodoo was, I'm still not honestly convinced I'd want to do so. Lastly, I'd probably want to go with the '18-20 GT350s if I wanted to pull the trigger on a used one (the one I test drove was a '16), ideally under 10K miles, maybe under 20K miles.

For now though, my target remains a '24+ GT...with or without the Performance Pack AND Magneride. A little less than a year and a half to go until I've fully paid off my EcoBoost...and only then will I likely know if a GT is doable as my next daily driver.

EDIT: Upon further research, I think my best bet if I end up going the GT350 route is to get a '19-20 model below 10K miles (<5K if possible, but I can't imagine someone getting one of these cars just to garage queen them) and make sure they were serviced regularly/often and kept stock. (This is very much assuming my understanding is correct on the problems experienced throughout the years from GT350 owners over on the M6G forums.)

Last edited:

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
(The short version: I test drove a GT350 today, which turned out to be a surprisingly enjoyable experience. I liked the transmission and loved the sound of the Voodoo from the inside of the vehicle! But I probably wouldn't buy it as a daily driver though, unless...?)

Today I got the opportunity to test drive a used GT350. After the salesperson drove it to a relatively secluded area, he trained me on how to smoothly transition from idle to motion. And I was able to do so! I even got to fourth gear this time! That Tremec is truly something else, I'm not sure if I could do what I did today on a Getrag-equipped GT after that. It's a lot smoother than the transmission from the '24 WRX I test drove later today, that's for sure (I never stalled with the Tremec, not even once---the WRX however...many times ☹). Afterwards, the salesperson drove the car back to the dealership and really let that Voodoo engine sing! I have to say, the first time I heard it in person years ago, I was not impressed at all (I thought it sounded too shrill and treble-y for my liking). But inside and outside the GT350 now...absolute music to my ears!

Overall, I'd definitely consider getting a used GT350 if I had the opportunity to. However, seeing as my next car would replace my daily driver, I'd be highly concerned with the vehicle's reliability, especially with the stories I've heard about the Voodoo's durability alongside oil consumption. My other concern would be if I really want to daily drive a stick-shift for the next 5-6 years, and personally, as great as the Voodoo was, I'm still not honestly convinced I'd want to do so. Lastly, I'd probably want to go with the '18-20 GT350s if I wanted to pull the trigger on a used one (the one I test drove was a '16), ideally under 10K miles, maybe under 20K miles.

For now though, my target remains a '24+ GT...with or without the Performance Pack AND Magneride. A little less than a year and a half to go until I've fully paid off my EcoBoost...and only then will I likely know if a GT is doable as my next daily driver.

As a 350 owner- I wouldnt daily drive my car .....

The issue with the VooDoo is really a few things

1. If you want them to be reliable, you have to leave them 100% COMPLETELY stock
2. They are more temperamental then the Coyote- there are rules you need to follow (limit RPMs until oil temperature reaches certain level, checking oil constantly exc
3. If 90-100% of your driving is at the track at close to redline.....the VooDoo wont last as long as the Coyote

Lots of YouTube videos with people trying to get clicks- only to find out later the car was tuned on E85 or something .....

Im at 15K miles on mine- driven aggressively on the street- no oil burning....so far no issues- has been 100% reliable- over the last year at least on the forums, its rare to see anyone have an engine failure ....

Lots of people love to trash talk- I mean we see the same thing here on the S650 with people calling it a sales failure, slower, 500 pounds heavier then the S650, low dyno numbers, exc.

OP
OP
BoostRabbitGT

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
As a 350 owner- I wouldnt daily drive my car...

The issue with the VooDoo is really a few things

1. If you want them to be reliable, you have to leave them 100% COMPLETELY stock
2. They are more temperamental then the Coyote- there are rules you need to follow (limit RPMs until oil temperature reaches certain level, checking oil constantly exc
3. If 90-100% of your driving is at the track at close to redline.....the VooDoo wont last as long as the Coyote

Lots of YouTube videos with people trying to get clicks- only to find out later the car was tuned on E85 or something...

Im at 15K miles on mine- driven aggressively on the street- no oil burning....so far no issues- has been 100% reliable- over the last year at least on the forums, its rare to see anyone have an engine failure...

Lots of people love to trash talk- I mean we see the same thing here on the S650 with people calling it a sales failure, slower, 500 pounds heavier then the S650, low dyno numbers, exc.
Thanks so much for your insight! I'll keep these points in mind should I end up pulling the trigger on a GT350 or a Mach 1 with a stick-shift instead of getting a new GT (a new Dark Horse is solidly out of my budget unfortunately) in a year and a half or so.

(This question is for anyone!) For strictly daily-driving and occasional "spirited" driving, how does the Tremec compare to the MT-82 in the GT versus the GT350/Mach 1? (And has anyone swapped out the MT-82 for a Tremec in a regular GT for that matter?)

OP
OP
BoostRabbitGT

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
...and almost 24 hours later I realize the '19-20 GT350s under 10K/20K miles are clearly outside my budget as well. On the upside, I can configure a base Dark Horse for barely above $60K and finally learn how to drive stick on a daily basis---however, what are the chances that a dealership won't ADM it beyond my reach? (That, and I'm still not sold on that front end.)

Truth is though, all I really need from a V8 Mustang is reasonably consistent reliability. I won't be tracking it since it would be my daily driver. That said, the active exhaust and spare tire are must-haves in my book, while having vented seats and the sound system would be ideal. From there two questions remain:

1. I'm more familiar with the 10R80 since it's in my EcoBoost. But is the MT82 a good transmission to learn stick on the GT, or would I be better off learning stick on the Dark Horse with the Tremec? (And of course as I type this, I realize I already asked this...:headbang:)

2. Where I live, it'll get to below 40 for 2-4 months (I honestly can't keep track of time with my seasons here). However, it almost never snows here. How well will the Performance Pack tires hold up in the unlikely event I do go with the Performance Pack or Dark Horse without the Handling Pack?

Thanks again for being patient with my frequent posting and inquiring. I apologize in advance if I'm being too chatty as of recent.

OP
OP
BoostRabbitGT

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
So today I got to test a top-trim '24 Prius with the default FWD setup (I'd like to get this with AWD should my GT plans fall through). And I never thought I'd actually say this, but it was fun to drive! Yeah, it noticeably drones when passing cars on the highway with gusto, and the steering feel is definitely on the light side. But I enjoyed it thoroughly. It is immediately the #2 go-to pick out of all the cars I've test driven so far.

After that, I test drove a fairly modded '18 Camaro ZL1, which should've been even more amazing than the Prius. But sadly it wasn't. One major positive note I had was that somehow I didn't feel like I was in a bathtub---I felt I had good visibility up front and to the immediate sides. And the rear mirror, while small, I also felt showed sufficiently enough for me to gauge distance of cars behind. The mods made to the ZL1 unfortunately were extensive enough for me to not even consider getting it, and that's without mentioning the car had 80K+ miles on it. Between this, the Charger, and the Mustang, it would most likely be #1 Mustang, #2 Camaro, and #3 Charger/Challenger.

Well, that's it for today. Thank you again.

OP
OP
BoostRabbitGT

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
If I do this right, this will be the last post I make in this thread for a while.

Today I test drove a Genesis G70 with the V6 and a Mercedes Benz E450. The former felt like it had an identity crisis between trying to be luxurious and sporty and failing to really deliver on either, while the latter was sheer excellence embodied through luxury and technology...the only thing going against it was that the driving experience was too quiet and sedate for me. And with those two vehicles no longer on my list, that wraps up the test drive candidates in my immediate area. I don't plan on going back to dealerships to try the final two prospects until they release sometime in the summer. Those two prospects? The 2025 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid N-Line, and whatever trim catches my attention the most in the 2025 Hyundai Santa Cruz.

In Mustang related news, I tried out the B&O sound system inside a new EcoBoost at my local dealership. The bass tones were great, definitely reverberated better than my 9-speaker setup in my EcoBoost. But the overall sound in the cabin still felt very front-focused even after attempting to set the Balance/Fade somewhere between the front and rear seats.

In that same vehicle, I got to see the Space Grey ActiveX seats. Not gonna lie, I was disappointed by the color. I don't know if it was the lighting (I was there in the early afternoon), but it didn't look like what I was expecting. More of a warm tone light grey as opposed to a cool tone.

It's looking very likely in a years time (once I finish paying off my EcoBoost) I'll either get a 301A Mustang with the Space Grey Vinyl/Cloth seats (or just the regular seats if Space Grey disappoints me again), or just wait until the refresh. I think the only way I'd consider getting a 400A/401A at this point is if the California Special absolutely wows me in person, or they somehow manage to release an S650 version of the '23 Ice White Appearance Package (hopefully with a nicer set of wheels [ideally like the '24 CS ones, but painted white]) for 2025-onward.

All right, I'm done yapping here specifically, hopefully for the foreseeable future. Thanks everyone!
Sponsored