• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Are you happy they switched to a steel oil pan?

Steel Oil Pan VS Plastic

• Total voters
OP
OP
Cory1337

Cory1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HD Fatboy, JK Wrangler, 85' Square Body
How often do you think of your trans/oil pan material? The composite pan on my coyote feels MUCH harder and robust than the metal pan on my 4.6 or 5.3… the only related gripe I have is that stupid yellow oil plug.
I think the stupid yellow oil plug is what makes me most excited about the steel oil pan. I haven't personally experienced it, but I've seen YouTube and talked to people and I feel your pain.
Sponsored

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
I guess I'm just too old school. I like a steel pan. I don't have some fancy educated reason. It just gives me a warm fuzzy. Mmmmmm.....steel!

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RaceRed>GT PP2 >RXCAIL2
Thinking the 5.0 block is the same, next time you have the engine out, change the pan to steel if it matters.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I prefer metal over plastic. I think plastic is great if you trade your car every few years, but plastic and heat don't like each other. Over time my assumption is that the plastic won't hold up that well.

But I would also prefer aluminum over steel, since steel will rust.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
i like the composite oil pan for one main reason, nobody has to worry about that guy at the quick lube shop putting your drain bolt back with an impact and stripping out the threads
other than that, i really don't care either way

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I am of the "steel pan" camp, obviously, as most people probably would be.
Unfortunately, my Bullitt has composite one.

We also have a 2017 F150 we bought used and that stupid composite pan is there on the 3.5 Ecoboost (I think all have them). I know this isn't an F150 forum, but def was a dumb switch to composite, F150 forums are littered with leaking pans, warped pans and bad gaskets/sealants.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
I am of the "steel pan" camp, obviously, as most people probably would be.
Unfortunately, my Bullitt has composite one.

We also have a 2017 F150 we bought used and that stupid composite pan is there on the 3.5 Ecoboost (I think all have them). I know this isn't an F150 forum, but def was a dumb switch to composite, F150 forums are littered with leaking pans, warped pans and bad gaskets/sealants.
Several companies have a steel pan conversion kit for your Mustang if you're interested.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Is this where the "history repeats itself" comes in - or the "I told ya so" when everyone was having problems with the composite pan drain plugs and the gaskets not staying sealed?

A metal pan will always be best for the following reasons:
- Torquing of fasteners
- gasket sealing
- metal drain plug that can be used over and over and over
- no cracking if hitting a minor debris filed - sure, dents will occur, but a metal pan will stay intact from a major impact over any composite
- no distortion
- IT JUST WORKS BETTER

----

Stay tuned folks - EV's will be found to be useless, a major drain on infrastructure and a major blow to the environment from the mining of materials... AND interior digital screen displays will revert back to the common buttons and knobs - why? Because it just works....

The only reason Ford went to composite pans was money savings - not just weight... someone proposed the idea, a vendor produced the part and it cost less for that bid/contract than the common "metal" part.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
Well Camaro Fan boy. You won't be buying a Camaro because that crap box is being dumped. You can wait a few years for the 4 door Camaro EV.
who the shit are you talking to, boy? put the crack pipe down and learn to read.