• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

300A GT 6MT test drive

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
To be frank, I'm a S550 fan ('17 v6, '19 gt, '19 eb, '21 eb, '22 eb coastal, shopping for yellow/orange Mach 1) and Gen6 Camaro. But when the dealer has almost 200 cars on the lot, and says go pick one to drive for an hour or so and let me know what you think, I swallowed hard and said, Why TF not...

So I picked the only (of 2) manuals that were not boxed in 3 cars deep and were on the immediate lot as opposed to a couple blocks away. My choice was the Mag Gray 300A 6MT - Zero options whatsoever.

First BIG problem is price. $44k MSRP vs my '19 GT/PP1 300A which was 40.4K MSRP. Or for apples to apples - 44K vs 36K. That's a 22% upcharge!
Yeah yeah, I know 3% annual inflation compounded, yada yada. It's still ridiculous. Whatever happened to Mustangs being CHEAP? Moving on.

I am excited to report that the 300A got the Recaro seat-pan upgrade! I had the joy of reaching between my legs for the ratchet bar, pulling myself up on the steering wheel and then priming the fire extinguisher, er seat tilt lever so my ass was no longer sitting on the floor. Do mind my '19 300A has 8-way power from the factory and not even the 100A eco of yore had manual seat-pans if my memory serves. This is progress I suppose.

Alright ergos sorted, let's consider the entire reason this Gen7 exists - tablet dash. In another thread I asked if anyone had experienced washout in pathological lighting situations. I was lucky enough to get the car positioned with heavy sunset backlighting and also some vicious glare off another vehicle, and the display was still VERY readable. Can't say that about the 6G gauge cluster.

But the placement of the ipods is no great shakes and since the steering wheel shrouds the corners and top, Ford should have just bit the bullet and lopped off 1.5" from the height and wrapped the resulting rectangle with the 'Mustang hump' generations of owners have grown accustomed to and cried out in terror when the 7G was revealed without that essential design element.

2 screens vs the single "continuous" you might ask? No question, 2 screens. The single looks like complete ass with its ACRES of non-functioning black "screen". In case you're wondering, I contrasted the "premium" config in the showroom after the fact.

So let's look at the gauges themselves.

IMG_20231118_161457130.jpg

IMG_20231118_162035899_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231118_175301396.jpg

clearly I need to work on my phone camera skills. I had the phone pressed against my nose and trying to exactly represent what my eyes were seeing.
I missed, but hopefully the point holds. The top 1/5 or so of the screen provides nothing anyway, and the corners sticking out past the wheel is just gouache.

I sit tall in the seat and it seems to me it's bloody obvious that the driver screen should at minimum be able to slide up or down, and also provide a degree of tilt to compensate for the placement of the steering wheel vis a vis seatback and eye placement. But hey.

I found the panel legible but the markings to be WAY too small and 'cute' instead of sized dynamically for context. Take the RPM graph for 'Sport' mode. Why are the hocky sticks pushed so far to the outside when there is whole inches to the inside? Why are the digits (esp speedo) so freaking small? Did no one think that maybe the RPM digit should 'grow' to say 2x or 3x when transitioning into the next band? ie. 2800-3200 the '3' would be much larger than the digits 2 and 4? Or the speedo should maybe scale from 0-70 as the max as then 'compress' the section below say 30 and add up to 100, and keep shrinking the lower band the higher you go? And reversing it on decel? Pilot displays have done this for AGES even in desktop simulators. Dodge has the same bone-headed speedo guage which renders it all but useless.

This is first principles, Ford, in human factors.
Oh, and the track mode sideways graph was just cringe.

The base trim had the capacity for 8 My-Modes. Ignoring the artificial limitations imposed by selecting eg. 'Sport' which locks you out of most other settings, it was nice of Ford to gift the base-trim buyers the ability to choose colors, and tailor a few things. I didn't play with it for long at all so there may be plenty of good stuff to discover. Or not...

The 'infotainment' screen needs to be shrunk at least 3 inches in width and shortened another inch or more. The giant realestate is completely wasted - very low information content per in^2. I'll bet the UI was designed on a 9" panel and then some useless wanker said Tesla has 12" tablets we gotta do 12" too and left the UI team out in the cold.

Enough about the "tech" everyone loves to hate. How does it drive?

QUIET! I don't know how many pounds of sound-deadening Ford put in but wow, hello Lexus-wannabe. But do Mustang buyers want a car this quiet? Isn't that counter to the whole POINT? I didn't mess around with the radio except to tune to 94.7 but the radio sounded pretty good. Better than my EB Premium and it's 9 speakers. Here too the distinct lack of road noise probably plays a big factor.

Ford still can't do suspension to save their life. Guys, you SUCK at your jobs, why don't you just sign an OEM agreement with Bilstein and make the world a better place? Or at least buy the FP Track dampers from the S550 and use that as your base suspension? It's embarrassing to be in Detroit's "last standing" sports sedan that isn't a corvette and you deliver such laughable garbage. Or have your UK team do suspension from now on. They know what bendy 2-lane roads look like and how a car should behave.

The shifter seemed to be buttoned down much more so than what shipped before 2020 which reqiured the Steeda locator bracket to fix. Clutch was a little higher than I like and the engagement zone a bit narrow but I didnt once stall or have problems using it.

The steering wheel is clearly thicker and it seemed also higher ratio. I'd have to spend more time with it to see if I really prefer it over the hard-surface and smaller grip dia of the S550. The steering effort in Sport mode was ENTIRELY too weak. I didn't even bother with the others. And as other professional reviewers have noted, you might as well be twisting a x-box/logitec gaming wheel. How do you get something this vital, this central to the experience, so wrong?

The engine was a welcome and willing partner to rev. It didn't have quite the lethargic and agricultural thrashing that is more obvious in the S550 generation - which a tune is needed to remedy. Sport mode was annoying as was expected.

That said, the rear differential ratios (3.55) is a CRIME against man and nature! EVERY, yes EVERY 6MT car is blessed with a $1000 fine from the EPA in the guise of gas-guzzler penalty. There was never a need to reach for 4th gear at less than 55mph. And if you let the revs go all the way down to 2000 in 3rd gear, you'd quickly reach for 2nd as it couldn't get out of it's own way. I realize my GT has 3.73 gears, my SCAT has 3.73. But the Eco I jumped out of has 3.31 but this GT was grossly too tall. If you're goanna whack 6MT buyers with a fine, at least have the decency for a reach-around - aka put 3.73 gears in there across the board!

In the interests of wrapping this up, (my laptop is about out of batt and the charger is at the office), I flogged the car for an hour down tiwsty 2-lane (Clifton VA) for 35 miles bombing thru curves with ADVANTRAC off, of course. There were a few moments of concern but generally speaking the car did well enough considering the perennial STUPID that is Ford on wheel and tire choices.

I think the motor has promise, the trans is good enough. The suspension is a zero and the Diff absolutely must be replaced with 3.73.
Ford just needs to take a good, hard look at pricing 'cause the MSRP when combined with the interest rates (and no, they are never going back down) will kill this thing in the cradle.

Would I buy one? Unlikely. The cosmetics and the "tech" are a big fat zero. Maybe if I put a life-size card-board cutout of an S550 next to it every time I parked it. You know like those spring-loaded panels used for tents and windshield shades. Just car-body sized. :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
What price point makes it irresistible?

40K…..37k??

what price would’ve made you say… I’m cutting the check and taking this bish home?

cstraley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang GT , 24 Tundra, 2023 M240i, 23 QX80
To be frank, I'm a S550 fan ('17 v6, '19 gt, '19 eb, '21 eb, '22 eb coastal, shopping for yellow/orange Mach 1) and Gen6 Camaro. But when the dealer has almost 200 cars on the lot, and says go pick one to drive for an hour or so and let me know what you think, I swallowed hard and said, Why TF not...

So I picked the only (of 2) manuals that were not boxed in 3 cars deep and were on the immediate lot as opposed to a couple blocks away. My choice was the Mag Gray 300A 6MT - Zero options whatsoever.

First BIG problem is price. $44k MSRP vs my '19 GT/PP1 which was 40.4K MSRP. Or for apples to apples - 44K vs 36K. That's a 22% upcharge!
Yeah yeah, I know 3% annual inflation compounded, yada yada. It's still ridiculous. Whatever happened to Mustangs being CHEAP? Moving on.

I am excited to report that the 300A got the Recaro seat-pan upgrade! I had the joy of reaching between my legs for the ratchet bar, pulling myself up on the steering wheel and then priming the fire extinguisher, er seat tilt lever so my ass was no longer sitting on the floor. Do mind my '19 has 8-way power from the factory and not even the 100A eco of yore had manual seat-pans if my memory serves. This is progress I suppose.

Alright ergos sorted, let's consider the entire reason this Gen7 exists - tablet dash. In another thread I asked if anyone had experienced washout in pathological lighting situations. I was lucky enough to get the car positioned with heavy sunset backlighting and also some vicious glare off another vehicle, and the display was still VERY readable. Can't say that about the 6G gauge cluster.

But the placement of the ipods is no great shakes and since the steering wheel shrouds the corners and top Ford, should have just bit the bullet and lopped off 1.5" from the height and wrapped the resulting rectangle with the 'Mustang hump' generations of owners have grown accustomed to and cried out in terror when the 7G was revealed without that essential design element.

2 screens vs the single "continuous" you might ask? No question, 2 screens. The single looks like complete ass with its ACRES of non-functioning black "screen". In case you're wondering, I contrasted the "premium" config in the showroom after the fact.

So let's look at the gauges themselves.

IMG_20231118_161457130.jpg

IMG_20231118_162035899_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231118_175301396.jpg

clearly I need to work on my phone camera skills. I had the phone pressed against my nose and trying to exactly represent what my eyes were seeing.
I missed but hopefully the point holds. The top 1/5 or so of the screen provides nothing anyway, and the corners sticking out past the wheel is just gouache.

I sit tall in the seat and it seems to me it's bloody obvious that the driver screen should at minimum be able to slide up or down, and also provide a degree of tilt to compensate for the placement of the steering wheel vis a vis seatback and eye placement. But hey.

I found the panel legible but the markings to be WAY too small and 'cute' instead of sized dynamically for context. Take the RPM graph for 'Sport' mode. Why are the hocky sticks pushed so far to the outside when there is whole inches to the inside? Why are the digits (esp speedo) so freaking small? Did no one think that maybe the RPM digit should 'grow' to say 2x or 3x when transitioning into the next band? ie. 2800-3200 the '3' would be much larger than the digits 2 and 4? Or the speedo should maybe scale from 0-70 as the max as then 'compress' the section below say 30 and add up to 100, and keep shrinking the lower band the higher you go? And reversing it on decel? Pilot displays have done this for AGES even in desktop simulators. Dodge has the same bone-headed speedo guage which renders it all but useless.

This is first principles, Ford, in human factors.
Oh, and the track mode sideways graph was just cringe.

The 'infotainment' screen needs to be shrunk at least 3 inches in width and shortened another inch or more. The giant realestate is completely wasted - very low information content per in^2. I'll bet the UI was designed on a 9" panel and then some useless wanker said Tesla has 12" tablets we gotta do 12" too and left the UI team out in the cold.

Enough about the "tech" everyone loves to hate. How does it drive?

QUIET! I don't know how many pounds of sound-deadening Ford put in but wow, hello Lexus-wannabe. But do Mustang buyers want a car this quiet? Isn't that counter to the whole POINT? I didn't mess around with the radio except to tune to 94.7 but the radio sounded pretty good. Better than my EB Premium and it's 9 speakers. Here too the distinct lack of road noise probably plays a big factor.

Ford still can't do suspension to save their life. Guys, you SUCK at your jobs, why don't you just sign an OEM agreement with Bilstein and make the world a better place? Or at least buy the FP Track dampers from the S550 and use that as your base suspension? It's embarrassing to be in Detroit's "last standing" sports sedan that isn't a corvette and you deliver such laughable garbage. Or have your UK team do suspension from now on. They know what bendy 2-lane roads look like and how a car should behave.

The shifter seemed to be buttoned down much more so than what shipped before 2020 which reqiured the Steeda locator bracket to fix. Clutch was a little higher than I like and the engagement zone a bit narrow but I didnt once stall or have problems using it.

The steering wheel is clearly thicker and it seemed also higher ratio. I'd have to spend more time with it to see if I really prefer it over the hard-surface and smaller grip dia of the S550. The steering effort in Sport mode was ENTIRELY too weak. I didn't even bother with the others. And as other professional reviewers have noted, you might as well be twisting a x-box/logitec gaming wheel. How do you get something this vital, this central to the experience, so wrong?

The engine was a welcome and willing partner to rev. It didn't have quite the lethargic and agricultural thrashing that is more obvious in the S550 generation - which a tune is needed to remedy. Sport mode was annoying as was expected.

That said, the rear differential ratios (3.55) is a CRIME against man and nature! EVERY, yes EVERY 6MT car is blessed with a $1000 fine from the EPA in the guise of gas-guzzler penalty. There was never a need to reach for 4th gear at less than 55mph. And if you let the revs go all the way down to 2000 in 3rd gear, you'd quickly reach for 2nd as it couldn't get out of it's own way. I realize my GT has 3.73 gears, my SCAT has 3.73. But the Eco I jumped out of has 3.31 but this GT was grossly too tall. If you're goanna whack 6MT buyers with a fine, at least have the decency for a reach-around - aka put 3.73 gears in there across the board!

In the interests of wrapping this up, (my laptop is about out of batt and the charger is at the office), I flogged the car for an hour down tiwsty 2-lane (Clifton VA) for 35 miles bombing thru curves with ADVANTRAC off, of course. There were a few moments of concern but generally speaking the car did well enough considering the perennial STUPID that is Ford on wheel and tire choices.

I think the motor has promise, the trans is good enough. The suspension is a zero and the Diff absolutely must be replaced with 3.73.
Ford just needs to take a good, hard look at pricing 'cause the MSRP when combined with the interest rates (and no, they are never going back down) will kill this thing in the cradle.

Would I buy one? Unlikely. The cosmetics and the "tech" are a big fat zero. Maybe if I put a life-size card-board cutout of an S550 next to it every time I parked it. You know like those spring-loaded panels used for tents and windshield shades. Just car-body sized. :)
Interesting you drove the cheapest Mustang available and judged the S650 overall...? You think the motor has promise and that's pretty much it. At least that is my perception of your biased review. You do realize that readers of these posts are already owners or are contemplating purchasing a new Mustang.

cstraley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang GT , 24 Tundra, 2023 M240i, 23 QX80

40K…..37k??

what price would’ve made you say… I’m cutting the check and taking this bish home?
Make sure we tell Ford to cut everyone's salary so we can get these cheaper. Either that or we have a third world country build them. Send them all to Mexico!

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
Make sure we tell Ford to cut everyone's salary so we can get these cheaper. Either that or we have a third world country build them. Send them all to Mexico!
labor is only 3-5%, need to rollback Trump tariffs, that alone is 25% of cost increases

OP
OP

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
<$300/mo lease and $5000 gas card.

But they would have to replace the diff first. I'm not putting up with that transmission ratio without a fight even if the car was free. Did Ford screw with the trans ratios? I didn't turn anything up in a quick search.

If you're gonna "sin", sin BIG, or why bother? They should have brought the D5 ratios back if they were going to saddle the car with the 3.55 and a hefty sin tax. THAT would have been a compelling factor in raising the status of S650 in the 'want' category.

If I had to *buy* the car, it would have to come with the EB hood - the GT vents are useless and an eyesore to boot. Or replace with the big-ass TrackLouvers or GT500 style and get some actual cooling. Typical Ford, all show and no go. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing RIGHT! Your momma should have taught you that when you were eight.

And I would also look good and hard at replacing the entire front bumper with one from the S550. Or at least heavily influenced by that design ethos instead of the obscene amount of pointless openings festooned with black plastic as an afterthought. At the bare minimum I would repaint the upper grill's lower band in body color or in some kind of contrast (eg. white on yellow car?) to make it palatable.

That tuner bumper while ghastly in its own right, has the right idea.

Interesting you drove the cheapest Mustang available and judged the S650 overall...?
How is fake leather seating going to fix the suspension, the rear diff ratio, or the badly conceived instrument panel and its displayed content? Opensource it, let me design a UI that doesn't suck, I'll happily tackle it.

The other car was a vert. I don't like verts and I have no frame of reference. So it would be pointless to spend time in one.

I already have a car with Ford "premium" interior. It's a joke. For the up-charge the least they could have done is contract it out to Katzkin and use some of the better materials.

I'm a specialist in base trim cars. 300A, 100A, 101A, except for the latest 200A which I had to get since I wanted the Brittany color. I'll happily sit on a seat covered in grandma's old couch cloth if the seat is contoured correctly, the bolsters effective, and it doesn't also smell of long-hair cats (to which I'm allergic).

Make sure we tell Ford to cut everyone's salary
They absolutely should. Why are executives rewarding failure? It's been one disastrous product rollout after another. The software team or at least the art department needs their clocks cleaned. And we are all familiar with the ahem quality of the assembly floor and of the suppliers.

Last edited:

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
I waited to comment on this and honestly wasn't going to, but for anyone on the fence for a S650 this review is not telling at all of the actual car. This is the OP's opinion, but I would contest very little is grounded in actual fact. Just go actually drive one. Row through the gears, play with the infotainment system, go through some twisty curves. It'll make you smile. Full disclosure I have the Magneride, but the suspension is perfect to me. Not too hard or soft. A total Goldilocks suspension....just right! Sport mode is excellent. From the instrument cluster to the suspension to the steering, etc. Felt great to me. Love the engine note and honestly have barely explored the B&O sound system at volume because the engine sounds that good. Everyone has their own preference and opinion. If you're looking to buy I would press you to drive one first in the package you're looking for. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

OP
OP

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
need to rollback Trump tariffs, that alone is 25% of cost increases
tarrifs on? Chinese imports? Ok. Then the gov't needs to hike the bejeepers on the tarrifs and force Ford et. al. to bring manufacturing (eg. transmission) back to CONUS. offshoring was a financial scam. It needs to be reversed. As long as you aren't so stupid as to build a plant in Union Cartel states, there should be no problem building large assemblies in the States.

OP
OP

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
This is the OP's opinion
uh, duh? And what of all the other professional reviews that were not exactly kind about the car? Are they also to be dismissed with a hand-wave?

Full disclosure I have the Magneride
that's a HUGE game changer all on it's own. Maybe Ford managed to improve over the S550 incarnation that came with the PP1/EBPP. The dealer didn't have one of those for me to try - at least not readily at hand.

Of course you should go drive the car. All cars under consideration. You may LOVE the s650. you may not, and instead go buy an IS350 F-sport for same money and be much happier.

Last edited:

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm a specialist in base trim cars. 300A, 100A, 101A, except for the latest 200A which I had to get since I wanted the Brittany color. I'll happily sit on a seat covered in grandma's old couch cloth if the seat is contoured correctly, the bolsters effective, and it doesn't also smell of long-hair cats (to which I'm allergic).
I'll bite... What makes you a specialist in base trim cars? A degree? Experience as an automotive designer? Just curious of your credentials.

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
uh, duh? And what of all the other professional reviews that were not exactly kind about the car? Are they also to be dismissed with a hand-wave?

Of course you should go drive the car. All cars under consideration. You may LOVE the s650. you may not, and instead go buy an IS350 F-sport for same money and be much happier.
Personally, I'll never buy another Toyota product again (I've owned 4), but I'm also not on the Lexus forum trashing their cars.

The other reviews weren't on a Mustang 7G forum. They were on YouTube.

OP
OP

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
I'll bite... What makes you a specialist in base trim cars? A degree? Experience as an automotive designer? Just curious of your credentials.
because I owned a bunch of them? How many people do you know who've owned 5 different S550 in as many years?

OP
OP

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
The other reviews weren't on a Mustang 7G forum. They were on YouTube.
I don't do YT, and your point is void. There are SCADS of links on this site to reviews, print, video, etc. regardless of good, bad, or indifferent. Hell, just yesterday we were discussing the latest Motortrend one. I scarce call it a review, it was vacuous to put it mildly. But they are free to publish it, and we are free to comment upon it, and ignore it, or whatever.

You like your car. Obviously. By all means post your own writeup. Delve into the sweet sweet exstacy of the screens, how this or that is a compelling experience. I won't be stopping by to trash your opinion because it differs from mine.

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
because I owned a bunch of them? How many people do you know who've owned 5 different S550 in as many years?
This comment reminds me of something my ex-wife would say. I wouldn't say that makes you a specialist on base level interiors. It may make you experienced in owning base trim level cars, but not a specialist. A specialist normally has some sort of formal education.
Sponsored