• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2024 Mustang TypeWriter Tick Question

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
It's funny, not funny ha ha funny, but there is a similar post on the Charger Forums for the "Hemi Tick". Different motors but same complaint. It's annoying for sure but the dealers service departments says its a non issue. My son's Charger has been doing it for some time and its worse on some days and makes no noise on others.

My 2020 ScatPack never ticked but my 2023 ScatPack started ticking after the 1st oil change at 5k miles
Sometimes I hear these ā€˜ticsā€™ and think, ā€˜you call that a typewriter tick? Hah, pull the valve covers off of an old mechanical lifter v8, fire that baby up. Now thereā€™s a typewriter sound.ā€™

super sensitive mics pick up all sorts of sounds.

but yeah, if I got a noise I feel ainā€™t normal it becomes a gauge. Does it change, what causes it to change, etc so on and so forth.
Sponsored

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
Maybe if the Mustang starts to tick I can put them side by side and see if they can tick in synch with each other. :cwl: I'll buy a conductors wand and direct the symphony

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
Several have proposed ideas as to what the tick is, none of which have been confirmed. FWIW, out of all these threads, I've never read of anyone correlating the tick to an engine problem or failure.

Ford has stated the BBQ tick is a normal part of the engine's operation. Ford's advice is to do nothing. I suspect Engineers within Ford know what the tick is, but will not comment publicly; there'd be a class action suit for selling "defective" engines.

Countless people are driving vehicles with the tick, most unaware of the topic. I don't have the tick, but if it develops, my current plan is to do nothing. Using Ceratec (or any additive) might remove the sound, but what is it actually "fixing"? Unless I can quantifiably determine the tick is being detrimental, I'll leave as-is.

These engines and drivetrains: they have hundreds of mechanical parts moving around, all at different stress loads and operating temperatures. Depending on the mode I'm in, temperature of the day and the temperature of the car, I hear all kinds of stuff, none of which has been shown to be a problem.

I have read up on and learned from others on these topics. Other than raise my awareness, I've left everything on the car as-is.
Excellent !
Thanks for the information.

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
Oh yes it does ..They would have to prove that ceratec was the cause of the tick . But the tick happened before any additive .. and motorcraft oil does have additives in it too .. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
What you are now at risk for is the following scenario:
-You have an infantile powertrain issue and it is NOT caused by the additive (bearing failure from say a defective bearing)
-Ford drains your oil, its completely obvious you've put that product in
-Ford now tries to use that as the claim your bearing failed because it was no longer being lubricated by the proper oil composition denoted by Ford
-You have a VERY hard time winning that, or a similar case, even after spending money on litigation

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
My concern is twofold :

1. Why do only some cars have the tick and others don't ?
2. Why does it seem to show up after the first oil change?

# 1 can possibly be explained by the supposition that maybe some people hear it and others do not.

But what about #2 ?

Seems odd to me.
#1. Your supposition is almost correct. All Coyotes have the tick, every single one of them. The difference is the loudness. On some it is very obvious, others only slightly, and on the majority virtually nothing at all. It just depends. There is not rhyme of reason.

#2. This has never been explained. Like I said the tick was always there so some oils hide it better than others. There is really no other option.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
What you are now at risk for is the following scenario:
-You have an infantile powertrain issue and it is NOT caused by the additive (bearing failure from say a defective bearing)
-Ford drains your oil, its completely obvious you've put that product in
-Ford now tries to use that as the claim your bearing failed because it was no longer being lubricated by the proper oil composition denoted by Ford
-You have a VERY hard time winning that, or a similar case, even after spending money on litigation
I've been here since 2015. There has not been a single reported case of a warranty refusal due to an engine with Ceratec in it. As a matter of fact many have reported that their service departments actually recommended Ceratec because there was nothing they could do about the tick.

But there is a final solution coming. The eventual demise of the Coyote. Until then there will always be a tick and Ceratec to hide it.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I've been here since 2015. There has not been a single reported case of a warranty refusal due to an engine with Ceratec in it. As a matter of fact many have reported that their service departments actually recommended Ceratec because there was nothing they could do about the tick.

But there is a final solution coming. The eventual demise of the Coyote. Until then there will always be a tick and Ceratec to hide it.
Open headers covers a multitude of tics.

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350

That may be. But
S650 Mustang 2024 Mustang TypeWriter Tick Question 1698161716426

I, and many others here, would rather not risk that for a tick. I also know many, many people have used it with no issue, and to your point, have had warranty work approved while using it.

DevilDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT on order
Hey all,
I know this is the dreaded post and I have not seen any other forum thread on this but my 2024 mustang GT with active exhaust officially has the typewriter tick. Of course, this is known to not cause any harm or anything like that, but is quite annoying. It began after my thousand mile oil change with 5W ā€“ 30.
Funny you mention this. I had the oil changed on my car this morning at the dealership where I bought it and put it into storage right afterwards. The first thing I noticed when I left the dealership was a ticking noise. Hadn't heard it prior to the oil change. They used Motorcraft 5W-30 and my car only has 662 miles on the odometer.

OP
OP
Cars And Shenanigans

Cars And Shenanigans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Update for yall! Liqui moly ceratac works! 3 days and the tick is gone! Hopefully ainā€™t jinxing myself and it comes back but itā€™s definitely gone now!

OP
OP
Cars And Shenanigans

Cars And Shenanigans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Funny you mention this. I had the oil changed on my car this morning at the dealership where I bought it and put it into storage right afterwards. The first thing I noticed when I left the dealership was a ticking noise. Hadn't heard it prior to the oil change. They used Motorcraft 5W-30 and my car only has 662 miles on the odometer.
Liqui Moly Ceratac. Fixed mine!

DevilDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT on order
OP
OP
Cars And Shenanigans

Cars And Shenanigans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Forgive my ignorance, but what does it do? I'm guessing it thickens the viscosity of the oil slightly.
To my knowledge itā€™s an oil additive that coats the engine and makes it run smoother, cooler, and quieter. Exhaust still loud as heck but the engine bay is quieter for sure. Just put it in the oil input while engine was cold and itā€™s all good now!
Sponsored