• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
With Challenger/Charger going full electric, and Camaro potentially just going, I'm just glad there IS a next gen Mustang.

Does it deserve to be called an all new generation? Probably not. For me it's more like the change from 2009-2010/11. Upgrades to engine and chassis, all new panels albeit instantly recognisable as the car that went before.

I suspect marketing wanted to call it a new generation. At least it's not quite as hard to swallow as calling an EV SUV a Mustang........

Previous new generations have had completely different project names, too. Fox, SN95, S197, S550......I think it's telling it only jumped one digit to S650.

But, as I stated at the start, I'm just glad we've got another ICE generation to enjoy, Dodge and GM pony fans aren't quite as lucky as us.
Exactly, not to mention with how beloved the s550 was, if Ford did make a massive change, we all know the same people who are mad ford didn't change it enough would be complaining that ford changed it too much.
Sponsored

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
So the value proposition is traditional early-stage new-Mustang: you get a new body on a modified existing chassis (see SN95 and S197 for precedent) with new tech to bring it online with the current market trends.
ahh, so Ford has chosen to apply Intel's tick-tock strategy. :)

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Exactly, not to mention with how beloved the s550 was, if Ford did make a massive change, we all know the same people who are mad ford didn't change it enough would be complaining that ford changed it too much.
Nailed it

Murfstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2021 VW GTI
I also went to the LA auto show this past weekend and have to agree; seeing the car in person didn't change my opinion at all. I don't hate the car or even dislike it and I do think the strange rear end is slowly growing on me but I still think the car is a let down.

I'll try to be as objective as I can.....The S550 came out with a brand new chassis, multi-link IRS, and bigger/better brakes to name a few changes. The IRS was the real game changer in this new platform; easily outperforming the performance models of the S197.

8 years later, Ford announces a "new" generation though it was widely known it would not get a new chassis. Little bummer but the S550 chassis was great so not the end of the world. However, being a "new" generation, I was expecting some other large change to warrant a new generation and drive consumer demand. I was really hoping for double wishbone suspension in the front or substantial weight loss, or something.

Looks aside, we didn't get much. The way you interact with the infotainment is new but the electronic features are unchanged. We get 20+ hp which is nice but not substantial. Suspension is unchanged, brakes are mostly unchanged, weight is unchanged, transmission is unchanged. There just isn't really anything substantially new about this car over the S550 models.

My opinion: this car will seem old very quickly. I hope I'm wrong with future special models but comparing base GT to base GT, it seems all Ford did was put new clothes on the S550 and call it a new car but it's basically the same thing underneath.
Ford used the same platform for the Mustang from 1979-2004. Each generation between them was never questioned as to whether or not it was really a "New generation". So it amazes me that people would expect an entirely new platform after a single generation and I just don't understand why people would not consider it a new generation based on the chassis. Yes the overall shape of the car has not changed, but every body panel is new. The transmission is the same yes, but the engine is just as much of a change from S550 as it was from the last iteration of the S197 to the S550.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer ST, 2001 Avalon
Ford used the same platform for the Mustang from 1979-2004. Each generation between them was never questioned as to whether or not it was really a "New generation". So it amazes me that people would expect an entirely new platform after a single generation and I just don't understand why people would not consider it a new generation based on the chassis. Yes the overall shape of the car has not changed, but every body panel is new. The transmission is the same yes, but the engine is just as much of a change from S550 as it was from the last iteration of the S197 to the S550.
That's all well and fair but at least for me, a new generational car that only looks different is not enough incentive to warrant upgrading. Again, the S650 is fine but there isn't enough new to make me want to sell my S550.
I suppose I'm asking too much of the Mustang anyhow. The S650 still nailed its intended purpose and intended audience. Perhaps my current wishlist no longer fits the Mustang platform.

I'm very curious what special models they'll come out with though. The GT350R was nearly perfect but the GT500 was a let down (again, my opinion). A 4200 lb sports car is no sports car at all.

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
Why don't you just pick up a mach 1 HP? There's one local to me over $1500 off msrp. Those deals will just get better.

Edit: I'm too lazy to look at your build thread. You could've upped your PP1 to be beyond a mach 1 HP.

That's all well and fair but at least for me, a new generational car that only looks different is not enough incentive to warrant upgrading. Again, the S650 is fine but there isn't enough new to make me want to sell my S550.
I suppose I'm asking too much of the Mustang anyhow. The S650 still nailed its intended purpose and intended audience. Perhaps my current wishlist no longer fits the Mustang platform.

I'm very curious what special models they'll come out with though. The GT350R was nearly perfect but the GT500 was a let down (again, my opinion). A 4200 lb sports car is no sports car at all.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer ST, 2001 Avalon
Why don't you just pick up a mach 1 HP? There's one local to me over $1500 off msrp. Those deals will just get better.

Edit: I'm too lazy to look at your build thread. You could've upped your PP1 to be beyond a mach 1 HP.
That would be moving backwards for me. Too many mods in the car now.

Whatever and whenever the next car for me is, it will be under 3400 lbs. That's criteria #1

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
That would be moving backwards for me. Too many mods in the car now.

Whatever and whenever the next car for me is, it will be under 3400 lbs. That's criteria #1
I highly recommend my POS, a 2009 Kia Rio. Weighs about 2,400 lbs, yes, really. My entire door is thinner than the armrest on the my parents 2017 explorer.

Evo1986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT - 55 years edition Kona Blue AT
I’m subscribed to this dude. He gets dummy obsessed with tiny details. Either way, EXCELLENT footage showing off how sexy the S650 looks.

Aaaaa look hiaaaa at the rear lamps...... you got to love us zerrrmaaansss :D

I know this dude but haven't watched a video for 3 years, because he annoyed me with his strong accent :D

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Aaaaa look hiaaaa at the rear lamps...... you got to love us zerrrmaaansss :D

I know this dude but haven't watched a video for 3 years, because he annoyed me with his strong accent :D
I’m honestly tempted to unsubscribe from him every time I watch his videos. Dude’s a walking German stereotype and the way he fondles cars is unsettling

But dammit his channel provides an autistic level of detailed info about things I like, like button clickiness and whatnot

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Ford Fusion
I'm not so sure. With the S550 I think there was one crowd that loved the more "modern" look and features from the get go, while the second crowd initially complained it was "too European" and "not a muscle car," etc.

With the S650 I think the first crowd is disappointed the Mustang didn't evolve further (sleeker styling, hybrid and AWD options, HUD, etc.) The second crowd is the one that says "looks like a Camaro" and hates the new dash. :)

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
I'm not so sure. With the S550 I think there was one crowd that loved the more "modern" look and features from the get go, while the second crowd initially complained it was "too European" and "not a muscle car," etc.

With the S650 I think the first crowd is disappointed the Mustang didn't evolve further (sleeker styling, hybrid and AWD options, HUD, etc.) The second crowd is the one that says "looks like a Camaro" and hates the new dash. :)
There's also the third crowd which is rapidly becoming the majority who were a little unsure at first, but who are starting to love it. I fit firmly in that group.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Ford Fusion
There's also the third crowd which is rapidly becoming the majority who were a little unsure at first, but who are starting to love it. I fit firmly in that group.
Obviously there are people in that camp, too, but I was only talking about the detractors. I don't think the change resistant and "not enough change" people are the same. It's interesting and different from S550 release because nearly all the S550 critics were change resistant.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Obviously there are people in that camp, too, but I was only talking about the detractors. I don't think the change resistant and "not enough change" people are the same. It's interesting and different from S550 release because nearly all the S550 critics were change resistant.
Idk, I remember quite a few people wishing the s550 was a more drastic departure when released.
Sponsored