• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2021 MUSTANG (S650) - 7th Generation Mustang Confirmed

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
From CD6 we know there are the following;
Ford sedan,
Plus the same from Lincoln (not confirmed),
Maybe Mach1 is on this platform,
Maybe Lincoln version of Mach1,
Explorer,
Aviator,
And, if Mustang was ever going to stand a fighting chance to remain profitable, and to make CD6 even more profitable, one would expect it to borrow from this platform. Like Alpha Camaro does.

Logic says its CD6. I'm trying to think of reasons why they'd keep it on the same platform besides what Twin Turbo mentioned re proportions and there simply aren't any. I don't believe CD6 is an evolution of S550's platform otherwise Farruko's brother wouldn't be so upset.

That's potentially 7 or 8 vehicles from the one platform, or, split those vehicles into 2 groups where the sedans and SUVs are on CD6 and anything coupe-like goes on the Mustang platform.

Platform-sharing is important, with much more emphasis being placed on it from Ford, so if it stays on the existing platform I would expect the followiing:
Mustang,
Ford 4-door coupe,
Lincoln coupe,
And Lincoln 4-door coupe,
Mach1

Problem with that is they never mentioned any 4-door coupe in the recent press release. Perhaps they didn't need to.
Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
I personally have high hopes but low expectations for a Lincoln Coupe to sell alongside the Mustang

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
Whatever Ford does, I hope they made careful note of the Camaro window opening height and square inches of glass. People care about seeing out of the car and being able to rest their arm on an open sill.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
I personally have high hopes but low expectations for a Lincoln Coupe to sell alongside the Mustang
I miss my Mark VIII, it would be awesome if they came out with a new one. :thumbsup:

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016
I think you guys didn’t get what I meant by “smaller Mustang”. I didn’t mean “M4-like”, The plan was to have a “Toyota Supra Fighter” (yes, that small).

What do you mean by "not updated"? The current mustang is a global vehicle and the next gen model will be no different. Also thus far Ford themselves have said that they want to sell a hybrid mustang by CY 2020 which would make it MY '21....
Yes, that was the original plan (that’s why I said that the information is not up to date); it won’t be by CY 2020, it will be a 22MY by CY 2021.

Whatever Ford does, I hope they made careful note of the Camaro window opening height and square inches of glass. People care about seeing out of the car and being able to rest their arm on an open sill.
LoL

Don’t worry about that. They had the plan to decrease the car’s greenhouse but not anymore.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
I think you guys didn’t get what I meant by “smaller Mustang”. I didn’t mean “M4-like”, The plan was to have a “Toyota Supra Fighter” (yes, that small).
The supra isn't necessarily that small... it's also a grand tourer style car like the Mustang is. Even the upcoming one, being based on a Z4 platform, isn't really significantly smaller than an M4. Being that American cars are always bigger (as it's sort of the appeal of american cars), I'd guess that their target of a "Supra Fighter" means advanced weight balancing and suspension geometry, but more M4-esque size.

You know a lot more than I do, though. Don't mean to try and discredit you at all, just sharing my interpretation :cheers:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
The yet to be launched, Supra? Based off a 2 seat BMW roadster? :tsk:

One of the key requirements for me is the Mustang is a genuine, usable 2+2 with a decent trunk.

14 years ago, I was the driver of a 300zx (hence my Twin Turbo name).....and I was very tempted with the (then) new 350z.....however, the birth of my daughter meant I needed back seats. I nearly went for a Monaro (your Pontiac GTO) but I saw the light and bought an S197.

Now, with a my daughter 13 years old and my son 9 years old, I can still look forward to weekend trips away with the family in the Mustang.

So, in my opinion, if they're sticking with a modified S550, we've just averted a (small) disaster :thumbsup:

Eagle-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Agreed, but I wouldn't mind maybe seeing like 3 inches of overhang taken off the front and pushing the engine further back into the firewall (a la M4)... If they could keep the wheelbase and track similar while reducing overhangs (maybe sacrifice a bit of the INSANE amount of trunk space for a bit more back seat space as to not make the back seats unusable), then it would do a good job of keeping the perceived proportions similar (maybe more similar to Camaro proportions) while making the car smaller, more balanced, and more agile
That's exactly what i was thinking. 3 inches of overhang shaved off the length and perhaps tone down on the wheel wells a bit (i feel they are a bit too damn large) for a tighter body, and basically keep everything else the same. Honestly the current mustang has a lot of wasted space in both the front and rear for the namesake of form over function, something that hopefully will be eliminated in the next stang!

Eagle-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
From CD6 we know there are the following;
Ford sedan,
Plus the same from Lincoln (not confirmed),
Maybe Mach1 is on this platform,
Maybe Lincoln version of Mach1,
Explorer,
Aviator,
And, if Mustang was ever going to stand a fighting chance to remain profitable, and to make CD6 even more profitable, one would expect it to borrow from this platform. Like Alpha Camaro does.

Logic says its CD6. I'm trying to think of reasons why they'd keep it on the same platform besides what Twin Turbo mentioned re proportions and there simply aren't any. I don't believe CD6 is an evolution of S550's platform otherwise Farruko's brother wouldn't be so upset.

That's potentially 7 or 8 vehicles from the one platform, or, split those vehicles into 2 groups where the sedans and SUVs are on CD6 and anything coupe-like goes on the Mustang platform.

Platform-sharing is important, with much more emphasis being placed on it from Ford, so if it stays on the existing platform I would expect the followiing:
Mustang,
Ford 4-door coupe,
Lincoln coupe,
And Lincoln 4-door coupe,
Mach1

Problem with that is they never mentioned any 4-door coupe in the recent press release. Perhaps they didn't need to.
Yes common sense does exist--thank you Falc'man lol!! Like i said earlier Ford wants to consolidate platforms to reduce cost, complexity, and increase quality of their vehicle line up. Imagine mustang still being built on its sole S550 platform at Flat Rock while the other vehicles being built off the new CD6 architecture along side it....exactly doesn't make sense whatsoever. Everything and everyone within Ford is simply pointing towards the mustang being CD6.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT

One of the key requirements for me is the Mustang is a genuine, usable 2+2 with a decent trunk.

14 years ago, I was the driver of a 300zx (hence my Twin Turbo name).....and I was very tempted with the (then) new 350z.....however, the birth of my daughter meant I needed back seats. I nearly went for a Monaro (your Pontiac GTO) but I saw the light and bought an S197.

Now, with a my daughter 13 years old and my son 9 years old, I can still look forward to weekend trips away with the family in the Mustang.

So, in my opinion, if they're sticking with a modified S550, we've just averted a (small) disaster :thumbsup:
I doubt they would abandon the 2+2 design, that's a key criteria for a mustang. I think the Supra is going to be a 2+2 as well

That's exactly what i was thinking. 3 inches of overhang shaved off the length and perhaps tone down on the wheel wells a bit (i feel they are a bit too damn large) for a tighter body, and basically keep everything else the same. Honestly the current mustang has a lot of wasted space in both the front and rear for the namesake of form over function, something that hopefully will be eliminated in the next stang!
Agreed, but I wouldn't change the wheel wells... the size of them works well with the look of the car (I hate the look of small wheel well/tall belt line), and the width gives the car aggression. But the front and rear overhangs are a good bit more prominent than they should be

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
I doubt they would abandon the 2+2 design, that's a key criteria for a mustang. I think the Supra is going to be a 2+2 as well

Agreed, but I wouldn't change the wheel wells... the size of them works well with the look of the car (I hate the look of small wheel well/tall belt line), and the width gives the car aggression. But the front and rear overhangs are a good bit more prominent than they should be
Agreed, plus imagine the insurance rates on a 2 seat Mustang making this kind of power.

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016
The supra isn't necessarily that small... it's also a grand tourer style car like the Mustang is. Even the upcoming one, being based on a Z4 platform, isn't really significantly smaller than an M4. Being that American cars are always bigger (as it's sort of the appeal of american cars), I'd guess that their target of a "Supra Fighter" means advanced weight balancing and suspension geometry, but more M4-esque size.

You know a lot more than I do, though. Don't mean to try and discredit you at all, just sharing my interpretation :cheers:
Once the car is out I guess more people will be able to speak about this and give us a more detailed information and yes, I meant the upcoming Z4 based Supra. The purpose of all of this was to reduce weight (by offering a significantly smaller Mustang). The plan was to reduce the size and move to the next segment below the mustang (proportions-wise). Let’s say keeping the proportions of a Foxbody Mustang or a 2+2 300ZX.

Yes, the “yet to be launched” Supra. The Mustang was going to continue being a 2+2 Car.... but having a (just guessing, however in the same ballpark) 100-102 in wheelbase and a length of around 180 in.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Why was your brother disappointed?

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
Could it be something similar to the SN95 in size?

The SN95 was:
101.3in wheelbase
181.4in length
183.2in length (New Edge)

Let’s imagine a 2022MY Mustang GT (Base) with the SN95 size and curb weight (3,300lb) plus the Mustang Bullitt HP rating (I hope that’s the base engine rating by 2022). It would be SICK. So sad it’s not gonna happen.

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Could it be something similar to the SN95 in size?

The SN95 was:
101.3in wheelbase
181.4in length
183.2in length (New Edge)

Let’s imagine a 2022MY Mustang GT (Base) with the SN95 size and curb weight (3,300lb) plus the Mustang Bullitt HP rating (I hope that’s the base engine rating by 2022). It would be SICK. So sad it’s not gonna happen.
I'm sure the base GT will be rated at 500hp by then. As far as weight goes, 3400lbs wouldn't be crazy.
Sponsored