• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2021 MUSTANG (S650) - 7th Generation Mustang Confirmed

Conedodger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350-R
Low hanging fruit for weight savings.

Suspension: Control arms, brake rotors, calipers, wheels, subframes
Body: Doors, glass, bumper bars. Aluminum doors, thinner glass
Engine: Flywheel and clutch assembly.
Drivetrain: Third member

The Mustang could be 3" narrower and have a 3" shorter wheel base easily. By going to a smaller front spring coils you can create the width you need in the engine bay for the wide heads on the coyote.

Put the battery in the trunk like all BMW's
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

The Mustang could be 3" narrower and have a 3" shorter wheel base easily. By going to a smaller front spring coils you can create the width you need in the engine bay for the wide heads on the coyote.

Dude... But everything is bigger in Texas, I mean Michigan. :D

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP

Would we want the wheelbase to be that much shorter? Or have the track that much narrower? How much stability would be lost?

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Improvements must be made... Now that Ford has a fleet vehicle that uses lightweight materials, economies of scale may bring the cost within reach of the Mustang. If there aren't improvements, the Mustang will die.
Why would the mustang die? It's sales are linked far more to it's styling and nameplate than it is it's weight and performance.

And again, they are already using quite a bit more aluminum than in the past...and are only ~75lbs heavier than the camaro.

Again, packaging and federal crash standards prohibit this. The size of the mustang isn't arbitrary. :headbonk:

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Let's put something into perspective in regards to making the S550 narrower and shorter.

Here is the old windsor that was packaged into the foxbody compared to a 4.6L modular.

S650 Mustang 2021 MUSTANG (S650) - 7th Generation Mustang Confirmed 78274

If you have seen a coyote shoehorned into a foxbody, you would understand the negative impact it would have on crash performance.

Conedodger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350-R
Would we want the wheelbase to be that much shorter? Or have the track that much narrower? How much stability would be lost?
The 6th gen Camaro is about 3" narrower than the S550. It's fast around the ring soooo.

Conedodger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350-R
Why would the mustang die? It's sales are linked far more to it's styling and nameplate than it is it's weight and performance.

And again, they are already using quite a bit more aluminum than in the past...and are only ~75lbs heavier than the camaro.

Again, packaging and federal crash standards prohibit this. The size of the mustang isn't arbitrary. :headbonk:
I call BS. Using high strength steel in the right places, Aluminum in others like control arms and sub frames work fine on the smaller Camaro. Brake rotors have nothing to do with federal crash standards. An aluminum third member does nothing. Aluminum doors also no problem. My GT3 has aluminum doors and it passed all federal requirements. F150's do also.

Thin glass everywhere but the windshield of course.

With this thinking we would still be stuck with pushrods.

Zeke.Malvo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mach1
I call BS. Using high strength steel in the right places, Aluminum in others like control arms and sub frames work fine on the smaller Camaro. Brake rotors have nothing to do with federal crash standards. An aluminum third member does nothing. Aluminum doors also no problem. My GT3 has aluminum doors and it passed all federal requirements. F150's do also.

I don't think a GT3 has ever passed any sort of NHTSA safety test.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP

Gotcha. In other words, jack up the base price another $10k.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
millhouse is being overly dramatic, imo. Plenty of small cars can accomplish safety goals and packaging concerns.

I won’t be upgrading to the 18, but give me a 7/8 sized mustang weighing 3400lbs with oil,trans and diff coolers and a v8 and I’m a buyer.

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
Not my favorite

Kind of reminded me of a clunky - stubby Wooden Shoe. You would think you want a side window that at least gives you a chance to wriggle out of in an accident. Unlike Camaro.

If they cut weight in the Body with Aluminum, this wil move the CG Forward and get further away from Ford’s desired 50/50 distribution.

I agree that the 197 render looks more like something the Ring Brothers would Assemble.
S650 Mustang 2021 MUSTANG (S650) - 7th Generation Mustang Confirmed FDC8ACBA-D880-4D57-BD35-7ED1265F29D9
S650 Mustang 2021 MUSTANG (S650) - 7th Generation Mustang Confirmed 422F57A5-9B3A-404C-BD72-11DA47FE7676

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
millhouse is being overly dramatic, imo. Plenty of small cars can accomplish safety goals and packaging concerns.

I won’t be upgrading to the 18, but give me a 7/8 sized mustang weighing 3400lbs with oil,trans and diff coolers and a v8 and I’m a buyer.
Show me a much smaller, mass produced 2+2 coupe that has an engine sized 5.0L or bigger produced today that has an interior capacity no smaller than the mustang.

The only car that I can find that even comes close is the Lexus RCF. It's has the same wheelbase, but is smaller in every way. The interior is far more cramped. It has less legroom, less shoulder room, 3.5 cubic feet less of cargo space and weighs 150lbs more. Oh yea, it starts at $65k.

You cannot shrink the mustang without negatively impacting interior and cargo space....which would immediately turn off a bulk of the US buyers. These are all packaging constraints.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Show me a much smaller, mass produced 2+2 coupe that has an engine sized 5.0L or bigger produced today that has an interior capacity no smaller than the mustang.

The only car that I can find that even comes close is the Lexus RCF. It's has the same wheelbase, but is smaller in every way. The interior is far more cramped. It has less legroom, less shoulder room, 3.5 cubic feet less of cargo space and weighs 150lbs more. Oh yea, it starts at $65k.

You cannot shrink the mustang without negatively impacting interior and cargo space....which would immediately turn off a bulk of the US buyers. These are all packaging constraints.
You honestly don't believe they could do anything to reduce the size and weight of the mustang and meet their project goals?
Sponsored