• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Fuel for '24 GT

TV963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT (On Order)
Looking for advice on fuel for my '24GT from those much more knowledgeable than I am. Always have used 91 octane. My question has to do with Top Tier gas brands. They are certainly preferred for their higher detergent values, but in my area Circle K, 7-11, and Wawa are taking over all of the Shell and Marathon stations. Should I be concerned about using non-Top Tier brands?
Sponsored

P2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Vapor Blue Mustang GT Premium 401A 6 Speed
Not really....
I put 93 octane fuel from Costco in my GT. She runs like a top. No complaints....

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
Funny you should ask...I was listening to a podcast featuring Alex Flores (tuner for Lund) the other day and he touched on this issue. His advice was to stick with Shell or BP. I've heard other Mustang owners say their cars love Shell V-power. Shell V-power is all my 'Stang has seen this far and she runs like a scalded dog. I would think all the top tier fuels would be okay, but he (Alex) specifically did not recommend Marathon or Sunoco.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Not really....
I put 93 octane fuel from Costco in my GT. She runs like a top. No complaints....
That's because Costco uses/is a Top Tier gasoline.

Last edited:

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Costco gas is Shell
Both Shell and Costco use top tier gasoline, but their packages of additives are different.

What makes Shell, Shell, what makes Costco, Costco, and what makes every other brand THAT brand is the unique blend of additives in each. Costco and Shell have different blends of additives in their respective fuels.

So, no, Costco is not Shell. Shell is Shell and Costco is Costco (Kirkland Signature, actually).

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
In a general sense top tier preferred all the way, however the status of the station should also to be considered. I’ve seen some sketchy top tier stops (or at least that’s what the brand is indicating) and I’ve seen some really nice off brand (high test only) stations that can give me just enough to get …

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I've always used Shell, every vehicle, highest octane I can find.

As you said, top tier will ensure the fuel has a good amount of detergent additives.

The Gen4 is running a 12:1 compression ratio. The Eco 10.6:1. The highest octane will get the Owner all the power possible from the stock engine while giving confidence they're preventing detonation.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In a general sense top tier preferred all the way, however the status of the station should also to be considered. I’ve seen some sketchy top tier stops (or at least that’s what the brand is indicating) and I’ve seen some really nice off brand (hi test only) stations that can give just me enough to get …
As important is the volume of fuel that the station is moving. The more fuel that moves through the tanks, the less chance there is of it becoming contaminated while sitting underground (In leaky tanks).

JPGC_S650

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 2022 HD Road King Special
The problem with a lot of Shell/BP stations in areas (rural) like where I live is that their customer volume is a lot lower than that of Spinx, Cosco, Sam's Club, QT, etc. Their gas sits in the tanks a lot longer. I typically use Spinx and QT and never had an issue. Car runs great.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The problem with a lot of Shell/BP stations in areas (rural) like where I live is that their customer volume is a lot lower than that of Spinx, Cosco, Sam's Club, QT, etc. Their gas sits in the tanks a lot longer. I typically use Spinx and QT and never had an issue. Car runs great.
Yup! This right there ... although if Spinx or QT is poor quality fuel, it doesn't matter how fresh or uncontaminated it is ... :)

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4, 2024 Mustang GT Vert PP NP
And don't fill up if you see a tanker truck unloading fuel or even just leaving the gas station. The new fuel disrupts the sediment in the tanks and could cause some issues.....read this on the Web and you know everything on the Web is true...😝

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Can I ask ethanol or not here?
Yes you may. 😁.

not preferred although depends on the application, stock for stock not really, mix and match and you wanna know what you’re doing.

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4, 2024 Mustang GT Vert PP NP
IMO, if it ain't Tier 1 gas, its just "ok" gas., which may be good for the DD clunker, but not for the stang or truck. Kinda like Bourbon...Jim Beam is pretty good for every day, but for special occasions.....gotta have some Blanton's Single Barrel or, if you can afford it....some Pappy.
Sponsored