• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

S650 Mustang -Keep hands on steering wheel message

souljer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium
I thought this warning is when Lane Centering is active and you haven't touched the wheel for a set amount of time? Wife's Acura does this. I didn't think it gives the warning for Lane Keep Assist though? Also I don't think manuals come with Lane centering?
I thought it was lane centering also but now see it was lane assist. I have then both turned off.
Sponsored

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos
I thought it was lane centering also but now see it was lane assist. I have then both turned off.
Interesting. I haven't gotten any warnings yet but maybe I'm handsy with the steering wheel 😬

OP
OP
Dwoodmansee

Dwoodmansee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
This message comes on when lane keep assist is on, and you are needing the assist many times in a short duration. I have learned to love my assist, but on windy days here 35-45mph stuff that message still shows up.

When the assist is needed, the little line on the assist icon (dash) changes color to what ever side the assist is needed, if needed again while color still is changed the message comes on.

So its not the car, probably is you.
I’ll turn it off and see what happens. Be interesting if it works. Thanks.

NH_woodser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EcoBoost Premium Convertible
It will be a couple more weeks before my car arrives at the dealership, so I can't tell how this will be. However, it is a nuisance with my 2022 Transit van. If I have my hands on the wheel, but going down a straight road that requires no steering input, the message pops up too frequently.

OP
OP
Dwoodmansee

Dwoodmansee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
It will be a couple more weeks before my car arrives at the dealership, so I can't tell how this will be. However, it is a nuisance with my 2022 Transit van. If I have my hands on the wheel, but going down a straight road that requires no steering input, the message pops up too frequently.
For me, it only occurs in certain geographical locations around town. And those areas are where cellular service stops and starts up again. It is consistent and has nothing to do with how I drive. I feel it is tied into the reception on my iPhone, and throws a warning when the service to my iPhone has a quick disruption. I will try to disable the lane keep feature, to see if that helps. Either way, Ford needs to address this as an issue, instead of hiding their head in the sand.

ArthurJGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 GTO, '06 GTO, '22 Expy, '22 F-250, '24 Mustang
For the record it's not looking for two hands on the wheel, it's looking for steering wheel feedback independent of the adjustments that it's making.

On the Expedition forum someone put a half empty water bottle on the steering wheel with a zip tie and lane keep drove for a solid 20 minutes.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
For the record it's not looking for two hands on the wheel, it's looking for steering wheel feedback independent of the adjustments that it's making.
This is correct. Before BlueCruise was enabled on my F150, I would get this all the time. It's for lane centering. Once BlueCruise was enabled, the nag for steering wheel input (hands on wheel is a poor description of what it's looking for) stopped happening. When I let my BlueCruise expire, I now get the nag every ~15 seconds if lane centering is enabled.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr

On the Expedition forum someone put a half empty water bottle on the steering wheel with a zip tie and lane keep drove for a solid 20 minutes.
As in the heated steering wheel doesn't do heat mapping? Although, like you said, i suspect the occasional nudge will resolve but still, nudge required ? It needs to know via nudge or it will nudge you to ask?

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As in the heated steering wheel doesn't do heat mapping? Although, like you said, i suspect the occasional nudge will resolve but still, nudge required ? It needs to know via nudge or it will nudge you to ask?
It has no sensor in the wheel to know if or where your hands are. Again, it is looking for steering input -- just a slight turn clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It has no sensor in the wheel to know if or where your hands are. Again, it is looking for steering input -- just a slight turn clockwise or counter-clockwise.
Most likely correct although that does imply smart tech that aint …

OP
OP
Dwoodmansee

Dwoodmansee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Yes, but why the same exact place in town? No other place except those places where I’ve seen the warning. Hmmm…

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most likely correct although that does imply smart tech that aint …
It is correct. It's what a BlueCruise equipped vehicle does if your subscription is not active ... it nags you to provide input to the steering wheel every so often. Literally touching or squeezing the steering wheel does nothing.

Sofa King

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost, Vapor Blue, HPP
For me, it only occurs in certain geographical locations around town. And those areas are where cellular service stops and starts up again. It is consistent and has nothing to do with how I drive. I feel it is tied into the reception on my iPhone, and throws a warning when the service to my iPhone has a quick disruption. I will try to disable the lane keep feature, to see if that helps. Either way, Ford needs to address this as an issue, instead of hiding their head in the sand.
Well, Ford needs to be made aware of an issue before they can do anything... take it to your dealer to start the ball rolling...

YamenGT650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2024 PP
I tried to 'be modern' and tried it a few times and I don't know how people can trust this thing. It's like playing a game of chicken with the car. Lane keep assist is trying to kill me! I have to bail it out regularly so I don't cross into incoming traffic or go on the shoulder. I think it requires perfectly smooth pavement and freshly painted lines...something like that. It's permanently off now!
I dunno how you’re using it, but the adaptive cruise control + lane centering is literally amazing. I’ve been using it in city and highway, and it works flawlessly.

You need to learn how to properly use the technology to make use of it.

plus, it won’t work well if your roads are horribly painted.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is correct. It's what a BlueCruise equipped vehicle does if your subscription is not active ... it nags you to provide input to the steering wheel every so often. Literally touching or squeezing the steering wheel does nothing.
BlueCruise in unavailable and there is a "Driver-Facing Camera fault See Manual."

not ava on [ice] mustang so question is why would bluecruise employ the nudge when it uses the camera?
Sponsored