• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Anyone else struggled deciding between EcoBoost and GT for daily driver?

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 GT vert A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 6MT
The EB is every bit the match of a GT short of drag racing, you just have to use more throttle. Unfortunately the 24 EB only comes with FOrd's ghastly A10.
It‘s often pointed out that sarcasm isn’t always evident in online postings. Evidently neither is attempted humor. I’m assuming that’s your intent here.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
My last Mustang was a GT (2019). It was great, but for my usage it was overkill. This time I went with the EB, and I'm glad I did. If you are going to track it, get the GT. the EB falls off at higher speeds, but if you aren't doing that, I think the EB is a better deal. It's lighter, handles better stock, and gets 35mpg vs. The 25mpg (highway) I was getting with the GT. As a daily, that adds up. Not to mention other higher costs of the GT. For me, the only advantage of the GT was the sound. That's very important for some and rightly so, but not a big deal for me.

Enjoy your test drive and let us know what you think.
I see you mention 35 MPG highway with your EB? That's pretty dang good mileage. What kind of mpg's do you typically see if the city and in mixed driving?

Killshot58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Premium GT, Vapor Blue, Nite Pony Pkg
I'm sure the EB would make great daily driver and the gas mileage would be significantly better. However, I do like the sound of the 5.0 and the insane power. Probably not the car to get if you're concerned about the gas mileage. Although, on a long trip we made the gas mileage was very good. About 28 mpg. This car is a very nice cruiser at whatever speed you choose.

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 EcoBoost Rapid Red
I see you mention 35 MPG highway with your EB? That's pretty dang good mileage. What kind of mpg's do you typically see if the city and in mixed driving?
At 3300 miles, the last highway trip (about 250 miles) I did produced 37.5 (calculated by hand). I live in a rural area, so I don't experience a lot of stop and go. Average speed for this trip was mostly 65, with some interstate at 75 and side roads at 55.

35mpg is actually my overall average based on very little stop and go, and almost no short trips (use another car for that). My foot only gets heavy on rare occasions, so this is probably a best case scenario. For comparison, the same type of driving with my 2019 GT (6 speed) was about 23. Long interstate runs was more like 25.

scazea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT premium conv., 401a, Rapid Red
I come from a 2020 EB. I went to the dealer decided on another EB...but the moment i test drove the GT i fell in love with it. I use my GT as a daily driver, mainly in the city....ghastly 13 or 14mpg...with my EB i was doing 18mpg. (lots of stops and signs, and max speeds at 25 or 35 miles!)
Every time i drive this car i do it with smile, just felling the drive, acceleration, hearing the exhaust...
When i had the EB, i was always wondering about a GT...now that my itch is scratched.. i really don't know if my next car will be another GT. I love the GT, but the EB was an excellent car that i loved too...ask me again in a few months, after i have the opportunity of doing some long trips with the GT!
If you are going to use it mainly on city, the EB is more than perfect for that. If you need the power and sound, and don't mind about the fuel economy, go for the GT.

Last edited:

cosmo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 2024 GT
If you are even contemplating the GT then my advice is to get it. You will always be saying “what if”. The EB doesn’t get that much better mileage and the Coyote is probably more reliable in the long run(the 10 qt oil changes do suck lol).

The sound is intoxicating and on-ramps are a blast!!!

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
If you want a manual there is no choice. That being said there is no comparison between a GT vs. Ecoboom. If you have any idea at all of owning a GT, you will be kicking yourself for not getting one.

Edson8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT
I used to have a 2016 Ecoboost and it wasn’t bad driving in the city. It was fun though I will say that! Although now that I finally got a 24 GT I must say it’ll be hard for me to go back to an ecoboost just because I knew I’d regret not getting a GT at least once in my lifetime lol gas mileage isn’t the best but then again I came from daily driving a 2002 Trans Am and a 88 Trans Am, so I’m kind of used to the poor gas mileage. But I say test drive both back to back and see which one you like most and of course consider any other things like price and cost of ownership overtime.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Your story is what I'm afraid is happening to me, lol. May I ask what kind of mpg's your seeing with the 24 GT and what your overall driving route is (city, highway, mix, etc). So you don't think the GT is too much car to be used as a DD?
OMG get the v8 lol. If you are going to spend a shit ton of money on a new overpriced Ford it might as well be a v8 with a standard transmission and no regrets. 👍 😎

Lightningwings

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
Just a few more thoughts after I previously responded to your post earlier. I noticed you have a 24 GT and I'm sure you've driven your dad's 22 EB. How would you compare the two for daily driver duty? Do you find the GT that much more engaging to drive in everyday traffic? I've test driven two different 24 EB's and I really did like them. I did just drive a '24 GT and was really impressed with it but unfortunately do to weather and less than ideal road conditions the drive was pretty short with only a few "spririted" bursts, lol.
Sure. They both feel very quick to me. The Ecoboost feels quick as soon as you hit the gas because of the turbo. It does the best acceleration between the 2k and 4.5k RPM range.
The GT takes a good second to spool up and gives you that sense of speed in the 3k - 6k range. The 5.0 really likes to rev out to the higher rpms and sounds phenomenal because of it. They both feel fast in their own ways to me.

Now, the GT does come with paddle shifters and the Ecoboost does not. So if you like controlling your acceleration and hearing your revs, then the GT may be right for you. It may be intimidating to sequentially shift through 10 gears, but you really only need to focus on the first 7. Gears 8-10 are more economy highway/interstate gears.

I test drove a 24 GT last fall, I do not own one yet. I sold my '14 GT soon after that test drive and I've been saving up for a new GT. I don't think daily driving will bother you as miles per gallon will be replaced by smiles per gallon. My '14 GT got 23.5 mpg mostly highway miles. The only part that bothered me was the exhaust drone on long interstate trips, but my '14 had a custom exhaust. I consider the Active Exhaust a must have option on the new ones because of this.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 GT vert A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 A10 / ‘23 Mach 1 6MT
no, the A10 is truly ghastly.
Yeah, both the two that I have currently as well as the couple that I’ve had earlier were just barely drivable. Barely.

Just wondering, how many have you had and what specifically made them uhh, ghastly?

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
At 3300 miles, the last highway trip (about 250 miles) I did produced 37.5 (calculated by hand). I live in a rural area, so I don't experience a lot of stop and go. Average speed for this trip was mostly 65, with some interstate at 75 and side roads at 55.

35mpg is actually my overall average based on very little stop and go, and almost no short trips (use another car for that). My foot only gets heavy on rare occasions, so this is probably a best case scenario. For comparison, the same type of driving with my 2019 GT (6 speed) was about 23. Long interstate runs was more like 25.
35 mpg overall is really dang good but like you mentioned your driving conditions are pretty much ideal. It seems as though some say the EB is really good on gas compared to the GT and others say the difference isn't that big. Are you using 87 octane or premium? I know both the EB and the GT can use 87 but not sure many around here use 87?

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
I waited until my kids were grown and moved out before I ever bought a vehicle I didn’t “need.” I still don’t need the GT for daily driving, but after driving vehicles for 30 years based on what is practical, I went for the GT. No regrets. I average around 18.5 mpg mixed driving. Only you can decide if you’ll be happy with the EB. If you are going to be happy with the EB, then it’s crazy to spend the extra for a GT. If the rumble of a muscle car is important to you, then you’ll never be satisfied with a turbocharged 4 cylinder.
18.5 mpg's is actually pretty darn good. I would say that I drive more city than highway so I'm sure my mpg's would be less. I assume you are using premium when you fill up?
Sponsored