• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

They HAVE to ditch the MT-82 this time around, right?

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
The S550 had some clearly identifiable flaws, the manual being the most obvious, in my opinion. They need to stick a Tremec in the volume models and call it a day already.
why should they do that if the car sells? and it does.
mt82's are fine if you aren't a ham fisted moron.
Sponsored

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE
The mt-82 shifts fine, it’s the crap ratios in the ‘18+ that makes for a lack luster driving experience.

OP
OP
OppoLock

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
why should they do that if the car sells? and it does.
mt82's are fine if you aren't a ham fisted moron.
A little apologist, no? The MT-82 is inarguably mediocre if you have any intention of pushing the car. It’s essentially a requirement to install an aftermarket shift kit with improved bushings or even a solid-mount to ditch the awful lockout and gate definition that occurs with high RPM or quicker shifting actions. There’s no way that’s a hot take.

Their choice to make 4th 1:1 in the updated MT82 was just another slap in the face.

Literally night and day compared to the Tremec available in the GT350 and Mach 1. Superior ratios, infinitely better gate definition, cleaner throws, better clutch.

To add insult, you could get the same TR-3160 in a V6 Camaro. Like, come on lol.

The mt-82 shifts fine, it’s the crap ratios in the ‘18+ that makes for a lack luster driving experience.
It’s perfectly fine for anyone that likes to take a hot minute to shift and cruise around town. Having essentially two overdrives out of six total speeds is just… ouch Ford.

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE
It’s perfectly fine for anyone that likes to take a hot minute to shift and cruise around town. Having essentially two overdrives out of six total speeds is just… ouch Ford.
I couldn't agree more, the only one that wants 2 overdrives is the EPA. Maybe you could ask AvalancheSVT why they did it as he knows everything about what Ford does.

Marty1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD: 2016 Mustang V6
As long as the MT82 is made in China at lower cost compare to the TREMEC made in Mexico the FOMOCO will keep using it. We can only hope that China's "ZERO COVID" will impact the MT82 production, but for now it is here to stay.

OP
OP
OppoLock

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
As long as the MT82 is made in China at lower cost compare to the TREMEC made in Mexico the FOMOCO will keep using it. We can only hope that China's "ZERO COVID" will impact the MT82 production, but for now it is here to stay.
I would literally pay ~$3000 if it was a standalone option, or just lump it into a track package

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
No product that is totally "fine" ever results in a lawsuit for said product. Getrag may have made some improvements since its intro on the S197 5.0, but I'd still willingly pay more for the Tremec any day of the week if only for the increased track abuse the Tremec can endure.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
A little apologist, no? The MT-82 is inarguably mediocre if you have any intention of pushing the car. It’s essentially a requirement to install an aftermarket shift kit with improved bushings or even a solid-mount to ditch the awful lockout and gate definition that occurs with high RPM or quicker shifting actions. There’s no way that’s a hot take.

Their choice to make 4th 1:1 in the updated MT82 was just another slap in the face.

Literally night and day compared to the Tremec available in the GT350 and Mach 1. Superior ratios, infinitely better gate definition, cleaner throws, better clutch.

To add insult, you could get the same TR-3160 in a V6 Camaro. Like, come on lol.

IMO the twin disc in the 18+ MT82 is actually amazing, assuming you have a unit that isn't crippled from the get go. I'd rather have a tremec, but other than the clattering noise sometimes its one of the best factory clutches I've ever used.

What I really want is a Tremec TR6060 like what the Camaro SS has. But clearly GM saves enough money elsewhere on those cars to fit that in. Same with FCA (but that platform has already been paid for many times over). Seems like Ford just can't get the rest of the car to cost a low enough amount to fit it into the budget.

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
You actually don’t want a TR6060 from the Camaro. They supposedly had housing issues on a production run causing gate issues. A lot of people had difficulty getting into second. Mine would initially struggle to go into reverse or second if the temps were sub 40. Issue present from the get-go. You want the TR3160 from the GT350. It didn’t have any cold issues and felt very smooth like the TR6060 felt hot.

IMO the twin disc in the 18+ MT82 is actually amazing, assuming you have a unit that isn't crippled from the get go. I'd rather have a tremec, but other than the clattering noise sometimes its one of the best factory clutches I've ever used.

What I really want is a Tremec TR6060 like what the Camaro SS has. But clearly GM saves enough money elsewhere on those cars to fit that in. Same with FCA (but that platform has already been paid for many times over). Seems like Ford just can't get the rest of the car to cost a low enough amount to fit it into the budget.

Last edited:

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1

I currently have a Mach 1, and recently got a chance to drive a 22' MT, and I gotta say I was pleasantly surprised. I drove an 18' a while back, and it was clunky. It's completely different experience. I haven't researched on what Ford did on the 22's, but they definitely improved the MT82. It's no Tremec, but definitely a night and day difference than the earlier S550s.

OP
OP
OppoLock

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I currently have a Mach 1, and recently got a chance to drive a 22' MT, and I gotta say I was pleasantly surprised. I drove an 18' a while back, and it was clunky. It's completely different experience. I haven't researched on what Ford did on the 22's, but they definitely improved the MT82. It's no Tremec, but definitely a night and day difference than the earlier S550s.
That’s promising. Now about those Grand Canyon sized gear ratios 🙃
Sponsored