• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dark Horse (standard, S, R) Order Thread

ChuckBilodeau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Race car.
It doesn't matter what may or may not make sense. This is what Ford is doing. No matter what they would have done someone on here would want something else (just look at the thread on hood struts). Nature of the beast. How about we embrace what they are doing (which is phenomenal) and stop asking for things we are not getting.
I now understand Ford will do what they please, I thank you for reminding me, for getting me back on the right track with your intervention.

I am not sure where you read that I dont love what Ford is doing or where I complain or where I'm asking for anything from Ford. I am shopping for a new race car and trying to get an idea of the prices to come. That's it.

*Disclaimer for Ford execs: This discussion is for entertainment purposes only and in no way reflect future prices.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I now understand Ford will do what they please, I thank you for reminding me, for getting me back on the right track with your intervention.

I am not sure where you read that I dont love what Ford is doing or where I complain or where I'm asking for anything from Ford. I am shopping for a new race car and trying to get an idea of the prices to come. That's it.

*Disclaimer for Ford execs: This discussion is for entertainment purposes only and in no way reflect future prices.
Iā€™m sorry Charles for getting snippy. Itā€™s just that it just seems that whatever Ford does get picked to shreds. Here we get an entire lineup of race prepped cars and itā€™s still not enough for some and too much for others (Not you šŸ‘). Canā€™t we ever just take a win? I do hear you on the pricing and hopefully it will fall within your needs to build a new car.

ChuckBilodeau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Race car.
Iā€™m sorry Charles for getting snippy. Itā€™s just that it just seems that whatever Ford does get picked to shreds. Here we get an entire lineup of race prepped cars and itā€™s still not enough for some and too much for others (Not you šŸ‘). Canā€™t we ever just take a win? I do hear you on the pricing and hopefully it will fall within your needs to build a new car.
I actually have a perma-hard-on since the announce! šŸ˜… Love the new car, love the enthusiasm for racing, can't wait to get detailed specs and pricing on the racing units.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer ST, 2001 Avalon
Any word on transmissions for the R & S? Expect it will be the 3160 manual but thinking perhaps the TR-9070 DCT 7-speed dct might be an option.

Also wondering what abs system will be included as seems to be weak link on the fp350s.
I believe they announced the Tremec manual for the S/R but I also hope there is an option for the DCT.

OP
OP
anacar312

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268
What if they dialed down the S if compared to the FP350S to reach a lower price point, let's say 105K (street car with a cage an racing basics)...

The R could be between what the FP350S and the GT4 was, at a $180k price point...

The GT4 would be $250k...

Makes sense?
This is what I'm hoping Ed Krunz has in store for us.... an attainable, safe, fun track car in the form of a Dark Horse S.

Shelbeast

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500 and MME-GT
So I did not see a thread going specific to getting a Dark Horse on order. Personally, with the limited info available and YouTube conjecture.... I'm aiming for a Dark Horse S. I was looking at Boss 302s but the Dark Horse S seems to follow that formula.... Coyote with forged internals, Tremec, Toren... just on the surface it seems the Dark Horse S is just missing the surround sound exhaust.

Anyway, after dipping my toe into the whole track day thing over the last couple of summers... If a Dark House S has an MSRP south of six-figures it's in the "must have" category for me. Hopefully while also holding onto my beloved 350R?

Anyway, I sent a text to the sales manager at my local Ford dealer and said I was ready to put down a deposit. When I bought my first Mustang in 2020 the M6G community was very helpful and supportive in helping me find it. So, I thought I'd start a thread over here so we can help each other actually attain a Dark Horse.

So, any intel would be greatly appreciated.

My first question would be...

When do the order books open?
Should I be pressing my dealer to take my deposit and provide a DORA?

Thanks again to all. It's exciting to start this process once again. The hunt is definitely part of the fun.
DH S and R are NOT street legal. The boss and 350R could be driven on streets. DH-S and R have to be on hauler.

OP
OP
anacar312

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268
DH S and R are NOT street legal. The boss and 350R could be driven on streets. DH-S and R have to be on hauler.
Yes sir! I was comparing the Boss 302S which was also not street legal, but it did have a (Gen 2?) coyote with all forged internals and a tremec, like the Darkhorse S will have a Gen 4 coyote with forged interals and a tremec.

I felt that this was a closer comparison than the FP350S as that car is powered by the glorious voodoo V8ā€¦ which is an engine Iā€™m very familiar with and just drove 100 ish miles yesterday in my 350R.

Last edited:

pbrmeasap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R & 2016 Charger SRT392
This is what I'm hoping Ed Krunz has in store for us.... an attainable, safe, fun track car in the form of a Dark Horse S.
There definitely is a market for a track day only car. I've done a fair share of track days and see more and more folks moving to the manufacturer stuff, most often the Porsche GT4 clubsports. More competition in that space is surely a good thing.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '02 4Runner
if I had the dough, I wouldn't mind a S.

Just sucks we have to go off of the press photos/videos and descriptions for the next couple months. I am really interested to see what the track line up looks like interior and exterior but Im sure they are still figuring that stuff out.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer ST, 2001 Avalon
if I had the dough, I wouldn't mind a S.

Just sucks we have to go off of the press photos/videos and descriptions for the next couple months. I am really interested to see what the track line up looks like interior and exterior but Im sure they are still figuring that stuff out.
The S model Mustangs have always been the goal for us enthusiasts.
Hell, I'm slowly trying to make mine into one

S650 Mustang Dark Horse (standard, S, R) Order Thread 1664375679537

ChuckBilodeau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Race car.
What if they dialed down the S if compared to the FP350S to reach a lower price point, let's say 105K (street car with a cage an racing basics)...

The R could be between what the FP350S and the GT4 was, at a $180k price point...

The GT4 would be $250k...

Makes sense?

Ok turns out the Gt4s have to be approx 195-200k. so here's my new wish:

S: $95k
R: $150K
GT4: $195k

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '02 4Runner
The S model Mustangs have always been the goal for us enthusiasts.
Hell, I'm slowly trying to make mine into one

1664375679537.png
ha yea man. Iā€™m trying to get there. By the time it goes into production, yours (and hopefully mine) will be at that point. Would be interesting to see a refresh of the chassis in track form though. Hope they release more info soon

Ok turns out the Gt4s have to be approx 195-200k. so here's my new wish:

S: $95k
R: $150K
GT4: $195k
I personally donā€™t see the S going under 120. Inflation for starters and then the BOM. Fire system, roll bar, radiator, data logging system, suspension, body parts will all cost some money. Iā€™m sure they will be more than 10k over a GT500 BOM. Iā€™m assuming and could be wrong. If it is 95 then Iā€™ll gladly start saving for one. I guess we wonā€™t know until we have a BOM.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '02 4Runner
But if it is that low then Iā€™m sure there will be options like forged or CF wheels to up the price

ChuckBilodeau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Race car.
I personally donā€™t see the S going under 120. Inflation for starters and then the BOM. Fire system, roll bar, radiator, data logging system, suspension, body parts will all cost some money. Iā€™m sure they will be more than 10k over a GT500 BOM. Iā€™m assuming and could be wrong. If it is 95 then Iā€™ll gladly start saving for one. I guess we wonā€™t know until we have a BOM.
Yeah... In know I kinda agree BUT... I just thought, what if ....... Assuming the following

" The Ford Mustang Dark Horse S is essentially a stripped-down version of the street-legal version and we're being told it has been conceived for the "weekend track day enthusiast." To shave off unnecessary weight, the Blue Oval yanks out all the non-essential parts and trim pieces before adding a safety cage (FIA certified), race seats and steering wheel, along with safety nets and a fire suppression system.

The 2024 Mustang in Dark Horse S guise is further modified by featuring a central panel incorporating the knobs and switches for the headlights, wipers, turn signals, rain light, and mirror adjustment. Ford also throws in a pit speed limiter and an optional front passenger seat. A data and acquisition display system is also part of the package while the exterior gains hood pins, adjustable rear wing, front and rear tow hooks, and an upgraded exhaust. will install the same wheels you'll find on the road-legal Dark Horse, but with chunkier brakes for additional stopping power. In addition, the S gets Multimatic DSSV dampers and the ability to adjust vehicle height and camber settings.
"

I was guessing for the S:
- Stripped interior
- Bolted roll cage
- Racing dampers and brakes with front camber plates
- Bolt on aero bits
- Stock darkhorse susp parts
- Stock engine & engine management

Again assuming the top road dog is likely to sell for around $60k, $40k + other savings for them (stock interior, susp, brakes, etc) gets you somewhere, no?

Just having fun speculating...

ChuckBilodeau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Race car.
I'm assuming the S wont have the same cage as the R and Gt4. My feeling is that the R will get the same seam welded BIW and caged chassis as the GT4 (THE big difference with the S) along with other upgrades. That would allow the S to be cheaper.
Sponsored