• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

The new dashboard is a big mistake IMO

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT
I'm a little mixed on it, on one hand I love the LCD screen that the S550 has and those nice toggle switches
1663366081538.png

On the other hand, I like the fancy screens but I notice that there's no buttons to do anything, it looks like it's all done on the touch screen. (S650)
I hope when the sun touches it, it won't blind you.
The lack of switches are a massive disappointment. They really make you feel like you are driving something special. That was a must have option for my mustang when I ordered it.
Sponsored

sleepy floy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M4 Competition, '74 Ford Bronco,

1st Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Okay, now that I got your attention, I think it's time to discuss the massive misstep that Ford has made with the S650 - which is the new dashboard.

Personally I think it is atrocious. It has completely ruined one of the key elements that makes a Mustang interior a Mustang and makes it look like any other Mercedes, BMW or Korean SUV.

Now I know that it's the industry trend, everyone is doing it, idiot millennial consumers can't live without it, bla di bla. But the fact to the matter is that this is supposed to be a Mustang and a Mustang has very distinctive design characteristics. Characteristics that Ford marketing brass can't stop talking about when it comes to praising the new design. So why in the world did they feel the need to do away with one of the most important of those very characteristics, which is the beautiful symmetric double brow dash? This is completely wrong. It serves no purpose other than cutting costs on HVAC and other switch gear, and one switch at a time it destroys ergonomics and makes the car unsafer to operate.

It is not out of the blue that other brands who started this stupid fad (like Audi) and who were criticized from day one on the ergonomic repercussions are already reversing this policy and bringing physical switches back in their latest releases. Ford however is running at the back of the field and wasting their time on fancy graphics for switching drive modes, instead of designing an even better positioned toggle switch.

No Mustang driver needs a massive tablet in their car. When you drive a Mustang you are concentrating on driving, on the road and your surroundings. The nicely integrated Sync2/3 screen of S550 did the job perfectly well. In the Mach-E they even did a wonderful and creative job on integrating a soundbar in the double brow, a truly innovative piece of design progress. But instead of bringing that into S650 we get this generic dud and now have to live in a world where Mach-E has a more true to Mustang dashboard that the real Mustang.

This is a disaster.

ford-mustang-2018-dashboard.jpg

2024 Mustang Interior 04.jpg
I have a GT and I couldn't agree more. Without the Mustang logo on the wheel and the wordmark in front of the passenger, that entire dash could have come from any manufacturer. They've lost the plot here.

TrackMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT
frankly I doubt it will. It'll be priced way out of reach of the kind of people who worship eye candy and with finance rates north of 7% it'll sell like concrete filled lead shoes. Hell, I could afford it plenty but I simply won't buy at the likely prices. I'm *loving* my used 2012 S5 with v8 quattro.

There is a reason the Maverick is selling like gang-busters - it's AFFORDABLE and well thought-out mix of car and pickup.
Yeah, you’re prolly right, the S650 will fill up dealership lots I purchased and collecting dust… 🤦🏼‍♂️

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
Totally agree about the dash, I could understand if it was a electric Mustang, but being a ice Mustang it should still pull from its heritage and past, it’s a real shame they don’t offer a standard digital dash something like the facelift model

ColdShotxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT AT 3.15
I dont mind having lcd screens, but it looks like a complete after-thought, or aftermarket how they look like the screens are just bolted on. They need to integrate them into the dash.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I dont mind having lcd screens, but it looks like a complete after-thought, or aftermarket how they look like the screens are just bolted on. They need to integrate them into the dash.
Agreed. Another member mentioned the high possibility of theft of these "tablets". I can certainly image that. If it unfortunately occurs Ford may really need to rethink the current dashboards for 2025.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
It’s a very Mercedes/BMW interior.

and the digital thing is exploding. Ford doesn’t really have the option to not embrace it. From what I’ve seen so far, they’ve nailed it perfectly. I actually like it better than my ‘22 Z4 M40i interior dash - and I love that dash.

I do agree that there is something of a loss in losing the double hump interior that has been a mustang staple. The s550 interior is the epitome of that design.

but there is also something to be said for fresh and new. If anything, the Nustsng would be better off if they could have distanced the exterior further from the 550. But with the choice they made to not invest in an actual new platform, choices were limited. They did the right thing by giving it a FOXy new interior. It looks fantastic and appropriate for the years ahead. Looking forward to seat and console revisions in 2026. Those are a bit too s550 still and don’t match the rest of the interior.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
I'm not a fan of the dash; it's several different ideas or styles thrown together.

Straight ahead, I have a huge display, but it's not seamless. One end appears to be an extension, added as an afterthought.

More importantly, why am I looking at this huge screen with all kinds of futuristic features, yet have vents and pushbuttons from the 1970s next to it?

Several have commented on why not have both a HUD with a more integrated digital display; that seems nice. And style the rest to compliment, not compete.
The center vents are aimed at the driver and the passenger gets one dedicated vent. Has someone been using a 1972 Grand Prix dash as a template for the new Mustang? While you'll be tempted to point the vents straight at you, distributing the conditioned air evenly throughout the cabin will cool things down more efficiently. Instead, you should point your vents upward toward the ceiling to facilitate airflow. That cabin is going to be hot on those 100+ degrees days.

Last edited:

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would like to see the dash instrument panel (lit up) in 2024 Mustang convertible in full sun.

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
Considering you haven't sat in a production car yet how can you make are these assertions. Maybe it's best to wait until you actually see them before pronouncing them as "cheap"
Well, there are multiple online reviews with video inside and very close up, so I think we have a good perspective, of which I based my comments. We can only hope the actual production interior will have a few changes, but I would not expect much.
It seems that quite a few members have expressed comments that were not positive !

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
A lack of knowledge is a wonderful thing. Here is the inspiration for the new steering wheel. Hardly a Bronco.
I invite you to go look a photo of the full size Bronco steering wheel, then the S650, then your Ford GT and see which is the closer inspiration. Again, I am not the only one to make a similar comment !

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, there are multiple online reviews with video inside and very close up, so I think we have a good perspective, of which I based my comments. We can only hope the actual production interior will have a few changes, but I would not expect much.
It seems that quite a few members have expressed comments that were not positive !
It seems the "Twitter" world has a lot of negative things to say about it. So much, it was mentioned on CNN.
Sponsored