• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Weight Watchers: Mustang Edition

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
Power to weight ratio is important for performance and fuel mileage. With the decision to stay on the old platform, is weight loss possible? I personally believe to be a contender, the Mustang GT needs to lose a few pounds in V8 RWD form, even if it was just 100-200 pounds in comparison to a similarly equipped 2022. If AWD is an option, it would be outstanding if AWD came in around the same weight as current RWD models, but I am afraid that won't happen since platforms didn't change. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Unless there's significant use of aluminium (or other light weight materials), I don't see it happening.

Whilst light weight would benefit performance and handling, the main benefit for Ford would be improved MPG.......and this time around, that's going to be met by hybrid technology. Ironically, that'll actually make it heavier.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
I personally believe to be a contender
A contender against who? Dodge pretty much confirmed that besides some minor stuff the current Challenger/Charger will run pretty much uncharged until about 2024 with the start of the EV replacement and then observe at which point they will pull the plug.
Chevy already threw the towel for Camaro with absolutely no further investments for years (besides some dumb sticker packages), the car will most likely be paused for multiple years soon and the successor - according to rumors - will be a 4-door EV.

So what exactly would be contender for the S650? Ford is in a position where any modern update to the interior will make the Challener and Camaro look really outdated and the market for ICEs is still strong enough to be relevant. I wouldn't expect any huge changes in terms of performance, they surely with have some lessons learned from the GT350 and Mach 1 that they will use for S650.

I'm pretty sure a Performance Package 2 or other real performance models with be announced for later model years, the base GT never really was a performance car.

OP
OP
Dub347sbf

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
A contender against who?
Against other performance cars that it will inevitably be compared to with other American muscle cars falling away. Even being able to beat a years old 1LE around the track would be cool.

Maybe it will be in a class of it's own and there will be no need to worry about power, weight, or other performance metrics, but I am still curious if there has ever been weight loss achieved while moving forward a generation on the same platform. I am not very knowledgeable in that regard, and other instances I know of have gained weight, so that is why I am asking if it's possible to lose weight.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
A contender against who?
I agree with the OP. Contenders are any cars that are out on the market or will be. A contender could be a used GT350, C7, Hellcat or ZL1. Even a used GT or SS 1LE.

What I'm hoping for is that I will want a new Mustang. For me to want one, it has to be significantly better than my 2017 GT PP1 that has a few minor modifications. Enough better to justify spending the money. Unless prices really change, a new track-ready performance Mustang will probably cost $60k or more.

Now that prices have gotten so high, if the weight goes up and track performance isn't amazing I probably won't love the new Mustang enough to buy one. I'm not interested in heavy hybrid or electric add-ons. I'm not interested in the same Coyote with some slight improvements, unless the car gets a lot lighter to give a significant performance gain.

MPG is not an advantage and won't sell me a car. 0-60 with no track staying power - likewise.

S650 Mustang Weight Watchers: Mustang Edition 2024 Ford Mustang 1

Last edited by a moderator:

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
I agree with the OP. Contenders are any cars that are out on the market or will be. A contender could be a used GT350, C7, Hellcat or ZL1. Even a used GT or SS 1LE.

What I'm hoping for is that I will want a new Mustang. For me to want one, it has to be significantly better than my 2017 GT PP1 that has a few minor modifications. Enough better to justify spending the money. Unless prices really change, a new track-ready performance Mustang will probably cost $60k or more.

Now that prices have gotten so high, if the weight goes up and track performance isn't amazing I probably won't love the new Mustang enough to buy one. I'm not interested in heavy hybrid or electric add-ons. I'm not interested in the same Coyote with some slight improvements, unless the car gets a lot lighter to give a significant performance gain.

MPG is not an advantage and won't sell me a car. 0-60 with no track staying power - likewise.
The new Nissan Z will definitely be compared to the GT as its RWD, manual and going to have 400+HP. with the new one being on an updated version of the older platform it will likely be 3450lbs or under. Sure, 80HP less, but also 300-400lbs less.
I still suspect those engines are underrated as bone stock with a 12yr old DCT design they still make 375whp/395wtq. It's closer to a 440HP engine and makes almost 50ft-lbs to the wheels more than its rating of 350. A simple plug-n-play 3+ PSI device puts them at ~390/430, 4PSI is ~405/450, and the person barely spent $300.

Last edited:

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
I don't think the VR30 was ever paired with a DCT.
I had the impression the current 7spd transmission was a VERY old DCT design, but I may be wrong.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
I had the impression the current 7spd transmission was a VERY old DCT design, but I may be wrong.
Oh no sir - it's a very old pure auto, which makes it even worse lol.

On the flip side, the manual option has has an issue with its concentric slave cylinder, which has been around since the 350z. I don't know which trans sucks more. They got the engine right though lol.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
The new Nissan Z will definitely be compared to the GT as its RWD, manual and going to have 400+HP. with the new one being on an updated version of the older platform it will likely be 3450lbs or under. Sure, 80HP less, but also 300-400lbs less.
I still suspect those engines are underrated as bone stock with a 12yr old DCT design they still make 375whp/395wtq. It's closer to a 440HP engine and makes almost 50ft-lbs to the wheels more than its rating of 350. A simple plug-n-play 3+ PSI device puts them at ~390/430, 4PSI is ~405/450, and the person barely spent $300.
My bet is the new Z is going to destroy the GT/Mach on the track. Then again, it's also a 2 seat vehicle, so it's not really a fair comparison. I feel like the 2021 3.0 Supra is also out performing the Mach on the tracks, but again, two seater. To some the extra seats might not matter, but for those of us with kids it's absolutely a deal breaker.

OP
OP
Dub347sbf

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
My bet is the new Z is going to destroy the GT/Mach on the track. Then again, it's also a 2 seat vehicle, so it's not really a fair comparison. I feel like the 2021 3.0 Supra is also out performing the Mach on the tracks, but again, two seater. To some the extra seats might not matter, but for those of us with kids it's absolutely a deal breaker.
I agree the comparison is apples to oranges, but it will be made regardless, and it already has been.
(With the Supra)

Supra vs. Mach 1

Last edited:

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
Let's also not forget that the FM platform is coming up on 21yrs old and the engine is 5. Its about as old as the NewEdge was when it came out. At least the NE 01-2004 Cobra/Mach1 were a refreshed versions of a powerplant from 5yrs ago(1996), this is the exact same engine. Not even a head/cam/turbo update from what we can tell. All the costs just went into lighter materials, modern interior, and new body panels.

I expect the car to be great, but also for the platform to be on its last legs, and the tuners not being able to do anything new with it compared to what they did in the Q50/60, just now in a lighter body with a manual, and no AWD.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm interested in the Z. I'm more of a Ford guy, but if Ford won't make something I like, then I have to go to a different brand. I'd like to replace the Fiesta in a few years - and Ford stopped making them.

I like the idea of a 2 seater with a manual transmission and about 400 hp. I don't really like turbo sixes very much, but if it's a small, light car, RWD and manual at a decent price I might buy. Oh, I also have to fit inside. We will see.

Edit: what I should have said to at least pretend I'm on topic is that I'm not expecting the Z to be a great competitor to a Mustang GT on track. I think it will get hot quickly - the engine will lose power and the brakes won't be up to the task. I would love to be proven wrong though. I was thinking the Z would be a better daily/winter vehicle and at least as fun as the Fiesta ST, though.

Last edited:

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I look at the current Mustang and wonder where the weight gain came from because it does not look as heavy as reported.. It is hard to eliminate weight if we do not know why it currently weighs more than expected. From what I hear is it weighs so much because of safety features and the IRS.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
I'm interested in the Z. I'm more of a Ford guy, but if Ford won't make something I like, then I have to go to a different brand. I'd like to replace the Fiesta in a few years - and Ford stopped making them.

I like the idea of a 2 seater with a manual transmission and about 400 hp. I don't really like turbo sixes very much, but if it's a small, light car, RWD and manual at a decent price I might buy. Oh, I also have to fit inside. We will see.

Edit: what I should have said to at least pretend I'm on topic is that I'm not expecting the Z to be a great competitor to a Mustang GT on track. I think it will get hot quickly - the engine will lose power and the brakes won't be up to the task. I would love to be proven wrong though. I was thinking the Z would be a better daily/winter vehicle and at least as fun as the Fiesta ST, though.
If they are using the Red Sport engine with no changes it already has a dual core heat exchanger on it to help with heat. I think the brakes will be the weak spot as its seems They haven't been addressed for added cooling.
Sponsored