• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
I love my S550 and plan to have it until I die.
With that said, I always look forward to design changes and appreciate info from you guys who are in the know.
Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I still say your wrong on that. Heavily based on the cd6 with some elements of the dc2. Bet me.
The Lincoln AWD support correct?
I want a Ford X5M w Mustang styling. I need to be able to drop in new 6.x with room for TT 10R140 or 10R80.
Will loan Ford/Rivian an X5M and Tesla truck at COTA.
$135k target MSRP
Will donate S550 chassis for mule.
10% profits please...

Last edited:
Reactions: jjw

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
The Lincoln AWD support correct?
Yes, the Lincolns have AWD. But (Aviator aside) they are a front wheel drive based system with a transverse engine location (so width ways across the engine bay, rather than longitudinally like the Coyote). It more Focus RS than Mustang.

The CD6 based Aviator is more Mustang-like with a longitudinal engine, power the rear wheels first.

@amk91 has stated the CD6 Mustang was halted and S650 reverted to a heavy revision of the current DC2.

We'll only know for sure once the car is launched and the specs revealed.

vbondjr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Mustang GT
From the information I've read, the S650 will retain alot of the current platform with updates from the CD6 platform. Either way, my hope (which probably wont happen) is that the Mustang actually does grow in size to about the size of the BMW 8-series and loose alot of that retro vibe. Outside, I would like to see the new Mustang evolve to more of the language of the Mach E both front and rear but obviously with an actual grille. Would love to see a two door and four door variant of the ICE powered car as well, giving it more of the SN95 vibe. Would love to see the inside move away from the '65-'66 vibe as well. Everything is so stuck on reliving the "glory days" of the Mustang but honestly it's time to let go and move on. Even Dodge is moving forward with the new GME-T6 Inline-6 turbo engine and moving away from V8s. It's time Ford did the same and Ford had a nasty inline-6 Turbo called the Barra-325T. You would think that with all Ford has learned from the Ecoboost performance program and now partnering with Volkswagen that Ford could take a 3.8L Inline-6 powertrain with Ecoboost twin turbo performance, mate it to a 10-speed hybrid automatic transmission, a variation of Audi's EPC (electric powered compressor) to reduce lag time of the turbos, give it a performance AWD system, Magnetic ride, Brembo brakes, Digital dash, a large screen that's more integrated into the dash and doesn't look like a Telsa copy or a tacked on afterthought, comfortable heated and cooled Recaro seats, heated and cooled Alcantara option steering wheel, a Premium (Lincoln Black Label level) interior since the Mustang is the top notch (and only car Ford has so it won't step on the toes of anything else) a sunroof finally, and a few other things. Seeing that the Government is cracking down on emissions, it would probably be in Ford's (Ford Performance/Roush) best interest to offer optional factory approved performance parts for this next vehicle such as approved cold air intakes, intercoolers, tunes, injectors, downpipes, upgraded turbos, blow-off valves, and cat back exhaust systems for this car. Something outside of the typical Borla systems that will offer a deep, unique sound for an I-6 Twin turbo vehicle. Not to mention suspension options, aero/styling upgrades, Ford Performance wheel options, optional headlamps and taillamps, grilles, spoilers, interior options, etc. It would be nice if Ford had their factory options similar to what Dodge does with their SRT performance options and performance packages. Figuring a non-hybrid 3.8L Twin turbo ecoboost I-6 could generate 495hp (theoretically) then a hybrid version should offer somewhere in the 550-560hp range with a 415hp 3.0L at the base and a 700+ hybrid version of the 3.5L Ecoboost Supercar spec engine at the top. The trim levels should be the 3.0L Ecoboost ST, the 4.0L Ecoboost RS, 4.0L Hybrid Ecoboost RS R-Spec, and 3.5L Ecoboost SHO Hybrid XR6-T. Being that the Mustang is a performance vehicle, there shouldn't be a "base" mustang that doesn't have performance. There is no "base" corvette that doesn't offer performance so the Mustang shouldn't be any different, even with having 4 seats or even 4 doors. Performance doesn't need a V8 anymore and this idea would put it more in line with the competition from Audi, BMW, Mercedes and even the upcoming I-6 Turbo GME-T6 from Stellantis/Mopar.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
From the information I've read, the S650 will retain alot of the current platform with updates from the CD6 platform. Either way, my hope (which probably wont happen) is that the Mustang actually does grow in size to about the size of the BMW 8-series and loose alot of that retro vibe. Outside, I would like to see the new Mustang evolve to more of the language of the Mach E both front and rear but obviously with an actual grille. Would love to see a two door and four door variant of the ICE powered car as well, giving it more of the SN95 vibe. Would love to see the inside move away from the '65-'66 vibe as well. Everything is so stuck on reliving the "glory days" of the Mustang but honestly it's time to let go and move on. Even Dodge is moving forward with the new GME-T6 Inline-6 turbo engine and moving away from V8s. It's time Ford did the same and Ford had a nasty inline-6 Turbo called the Barra-325T. You would think that with all Ford has learned from the Ecoboost performance program and now partnering with Volkswagen that Ford could take a 3.8L Inline-6 powertrain with Ecoboost twin turbo performance, mate it to a 10-speed hybrid automatic transmission, a variation of Audi's EPC (electric powered compressor) to reduce lag time of the turbos, give it a performance AWD system, Magnetic ride, Brembo brakes, Digital dash, a large screen that's more integrated into the dash and doesn't look like a Telsa copy or a tacked on afterthought, comfortable heated and cooled Recaro seats, heated and cooled Alcantara option steering wheel, a Premium (Lincoln Black Label level) interior since the Mustang is the top notch (and only car Ford has so it won't step on the toes of anything else) a sunroof finally, and a few other things. Seeing that the Government is cracking down on emissions, it would probably be in Ford's (Ford Performance/Roush) best interest to offer optional factory approved performance parts for this next vehicle such as approved cold air intakes, intercoolers, tunes, injectors, downpipes, upgraded turbos, blow-off valves, and cat back exhaust systems for this car. Something outside of the typical Borla systems that will offer a deep, unique sound for an I-6 Twin turbo vehicle. Not to mention suspension options, aero/styling upgrades, Ford Performance wheel options, optional headlamps and taillamps, grilles, spoilers, interior options, etc. It would be nice if Ford had their factory options similar to what Dodge does with their SRT performance options and performance packages. Figuring a non-hybrid 3.8L Twin turbo ecoboost I-6 could generate 495hp (theoretically) then a hybrid version should offer somewhere in the 550-560hp range with a 415hp 3.0L at the base and a 700+ hybrid version of the 3.5L Ecoboost Supercar spec engine at the top. The trim levels should be the 3.0L Ecoboost ST, the 4.0L Ecoboost RS, 4.0L Hybrid Ecoboost RS R-Spec, and 3.5L Ecoboost SHO Hybrid XR6-T. Being that the Mustang is a performance vehicle, there shouldn't be a "base" mustang that doesn't have performance. There is no "base" corvette that doesn't offer performance so the Mustang shouldn't be any different, even with having 4 seats or even 4 doors. Performance doesn't need a V8 anymore and this idea would put it more in line with the competition from Audi, BMW, Mercedes and even the upcoming I-6 Turbo GME-T6 from Stellantis/Mopar.
You want a $100,000+ Mustang.

All this new Mustang talk has me feeling grumpy. I by far prefer a Fox-sized Mustang with modern suspension. Obviously not Fox styling, but Fox SIZE. Smaller, lighter, better performance without needing too many expensive add-ons to get there. The Mustang development (as well as any other performance automotive development) should use the McLaren F1 as a model for how to make decisions. If it adds weight, don't do it.

I'm really afraid that future Mustang models are going away from what I always loved about the Mustang (and why I've owned so many). Small, inexpensive, V8 engine.

I really, really hope Ford proves me wrong and when the next Mustang comes out I will feel compelled to buy.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Maybe a family of mustang language body/chassis?
S550/650 heavy (4door/2door/cpe/wgn)
MachE: variants
gMiata/Focus size ICE?: (4door/2door)
Mini/runabout: EVbudget,EV,EV+(<3.0(0-60))
CD6+(Mustang Aviator, X5M competitor 130k)

Can the business case for “S650 replacement of S550” get reviewed?
Why?
Why not leave mature S550 in production (mature quality+low engineering resources)?
Instead of cannibalize your own sales, why not increase product breadth like add MachE(done) and another “Mustang” product that pushes into competitors sales?

Small car market: Kia/Hyundia, civic, corolla, VW?
Mustang on GTI, jetta, VW chassis???

vbondjr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Mustang GT
You want a $100,000+ Mustang.

All this new Mustang talk has me feeling grumpy. I by far prefer a Fox-sized Mustang with modern suspension. Obviously not Fox styling, but Fox SIZE. Smaller, lighter, better performance without needing too many expensive add-ons to get there. The Mustang development (as well as any other performance automotive development) should use the McLaren F1 as a model for how to make decisions. If it adds weight, don't do it.

I'm really afraid that future Mustang models are going away from what I always loved about the Mustang (and why I've owned so many). Small, inexpensive, V8 engine.

I really, really hope Ford proves me wrong and when the next Mustang comes out I will feel compelled to buy.
I wouldn't want the car to be a $100,000 car, honestly with what I said the ST should start in at around $35K and the XR6-T would come in around $85K or $90K but think about it like this, a Challenger Super Stock comes in at around $85K a Corvette ZR1 is about $125K, Nissan GTR $113K, BMW M4, around $72K. Taking nearly everything I've said, which is stuff that is already in Ford's inventory and tweaking it to put in a Mustang family of cars shouldn't put the car near $100K until putting a hybrid powertrain behind the supercar variant 3.5L Ecoboost engine.

I do like what @sigintel said below with the Mustang "Family of vehicles" Honestly his Focus (2dr/4dr) class vehicle fits in with what you were referencing with your Fox body statement as it would be a small, light, cheap car like the fox body was and with a 2.3L Ecoboost "GT" High output 350hp/350tq, on a rear-drive based AWD chassis and maybe a 2.0L "LX" the car would have that feel of a fox body.

Last edited:

vbondjr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Mustang GT
Maybe a family of mustang language body/chassis?
S550/650 heavy (4door/2door/cpe/wgn)
MachE: variants
gMiata/Focus size ICE?: (4door/2door)
Mini/runabout: EVbudget,EV,EV+(<3.0(0-60))
CD6+(Mustang Aviator, X5M competitor 130k)

Can the business case for “S650 replacement of S550” get reviewed?
Why?
Why not leave mature S550 in production (mature quality+low engineering resources)?
Instead of cannibalize your own sales, why not increase product breadth like add MachE(done) and another “Mustang” product that pushes into competitors sales?

Small car market: Kia/Hyundia, civic, corolla, VW?
Mustang on GTI, jetta, VW chassis???
It would be great if Ford came out with a S650 2& 4 door coupe/convertible to compete with the BMW 8-Series, an actual ICE performance crossover to compete with the GLC AMG and BMW X4M competition and an Explorer/Aviator sized performance SUV to compete with the X6M Competition and Porsche Cayenne. a cheap, basic, entry level focus-sized 2 door and 4-door hatchback variant with the 2.3L GT package and 2.0L LX package wouldn't be a bad idea either. Toss that in with the MAch E variants and Ford might have a worth while family of vehicles.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The Mustang is aready closing in on being a “$100k Mustang”. Hell, try to equip a MACH 1 with decent option packages and you’re already breaking the $60k+ zone.

Even build a brand new GT, totally loaded with everything, the prices are just getting outrageous. The Mustang is no longer an “affordable” sports car for many who want a brand new Mustang.

Aside from the Mustang price increase annually, the depreciation on a $60k+ standard, cookie cut car is ridiculous.

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
The Mustang is aready closing in on being a “$100k Mustang”. Hell, try to equip a MACH 1 with decent option packages and you’re already breaking the $60k+ zone.

Even build a brand new GT, totally loaded with everything, the prices are just getting outrageous. The Mustang is no longer an “affordable” sports car for many who want a brand new Mustang.

Aside from the Mustang price increase annually, the depreciation on a $60k+ standard, cookie cut car is ridiculous.
Yep, couple that with the fact the C8 has gone upstream and the Camaro is a lame duck, Ford can now go hog wild with Mustang pricing as we have seen.

And it's actually not just the Mustang, but pretty much all vehicles in their portfolio. The top end Bronco is 60k and only comes in the 2.7.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
A 90s notch back on focus chassis with an ecoboost would be lit on road course. Especially if AWD...

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Some rather......er.....unusual visions being expressed here. Lets keep the non-Fastback/convertible talk to the other active threads.

Me? I'm a traditionalist when it comes to the Mustang, so I'm happy to keep the same recipe we've have for almost 57 years. Keep it a relatively simple 2+2 Fastback/convertible with a choice of powertrains, including a V8. Make it a great looking car people aspire to owning.

Fortunately, at least for the traditional Mustang we know and love, it seems they won't deviate too much from the S550 recipe with S650. Given what we know, expect something like the change from the '09 to '10 S197.

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
I would like to see at least a front end refresh and also maybe new taillights and some interior updates. The ability to get ceramic or tan seats with 401A would be nice too.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I wouldn't want the car to be a $100,000 car, honestly with what I said the ST should start in at around $35K and the XR6-T would come in around $85K or $90K but think about it like this, a Challenger Super Stock comes in at around $85K a Corvette ZR1 is about $125K, Nissan GTR $113K, BMW M4, around $72K. Taking nearly everything I've said, which is stuff that is already in Ford's inventory and tweaking it to put in a Mustang family of cars shouldn't put the car near $100K until putting a hybrid powertrain behind the supercar variant 3.5L Ecoboost engine.

I do like what @sigintel said below with the Mustang "Family of vehicles" Honestly his Focus (2dr/4dr) class vehicle fits in with what you were referencing with your Fox body statement as it would be a small, light, cheap car like the fox body was and with a 2.3L Ecoboost "GT" High output 350hp/350tq, on a rear-drive based AWD chassis and maybe a 2.0L "LX" the car would have that feel of a fox body.
$35K isn't too bad if that's the GT V8 model, but when it's the entry model that's just too much money for an inexpensive car built for the masses. And if the V8 goes away I'm not buying anyway. It's NOT progress getting rid of the V8. If you want something higher tech with fewer cylinders there are plenty of BMWs out there. If I wanted a BMW I would own one. I really don't want the Mustang to turn into a BMW.

The Mustang generally shouldn't be competing with ZR1 or GTR. Those are exclusive cars that don't sell very much. The Mustang should be competing with Miata, BRZ, etc. cars like that. It's ok for the halo top Mustang to aspire to compete with the ZR1 or GTR (albeit for less money), but the base Mustang should be an inexpensive performance vehicle like it has always been.

And if Ford really wants Mustang to be more expensive and compete upwards with some of the higher model supercars you are naming, they should go to an all aluminum chassis and transaxle. They shouldn't be tacking a bunch more weight onto a meh steel chassis, jacking up the CoG with a 4WD system that causes the engine to have to sit higher in the chassis, etc. A straight six powertrain would cause the hood to be even higher yet. I don't want an SUV Mustang. The current generation Mustang is already too heavy and center of gravity is too high off the ground.

Last edited:

vbondjr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Mustang GT
$35K isn't too bad if that's the GT V8 model, but when it's the entry model that's just too much money for an inexpensive car built for the masses. And if the V8 goes away I'm not buying anyway. It's NOT progress getting rid of the V8. If you want something higher tech with fewer cylinders there are plenty of BMWs out there. If I wanted a BMW I would own one. I really don't want the Mustang to turn into a BMW.

The Mustang generally shouldn't be competing with ZR1 or GTR. Those are exclusive cars that don't sell very much. The Mustang should be competing with Miata, BRZ, etc. cars like that. It's ok for the halo top Mustang to aspire to compete with the ZR1 or GTR (albeit for less money), but the base Mustang should be an inexpensive performance vehicle like it has always been.

And if Ford really wants Mustang to be more expensive and compete upwards with some of the higher model supercars you are naming, they should go to an all aluminum chassis and transaxle. They shouldn't be tacking a bunch more weight onto a meh steel chassis, jacking up the CoG with a 4WD system that causes the engine to have to sit higher in the chassis, etc. A straight six powertrain would cause the hood to be even higher yet. I don't want an SUV Mustang. The current generation Mustang is already too heavy and center of gravity is too high off the ground.
Mustangs already compete with European sports cars as is. The Mustang never competed with the little go-kart cars like the Miata or BRZ. Very few mustangs were actually "good handling" cars. SN95s, and newer are about as good as your going to get in a Mustang when it comes to handling except maybe a 65-66GT350. As a car that currently rates 2nd place in the 3-way muscle car wars, with the Camaro about to die again, the Mustang will still take the crown even as it sits weight wise and center of gravity wise. Also the Barra 325-T 4.0L inline six fits perfectly under the production hood of a GT350 so it wouldn't be an issue. An I-6TT fits under the sloping hood of an M4 or M3 so it would work fine in the Mustang and the Mustang originally came with an I-6 from the factory in the 60's so it would still be fine within the specs of "Mustang" And your thoughts of an AWD system throwing off the center of gravity makes no sense when nearly every Audi performance vehicle has an AWD system, so do alot of Porsches, every new GTR from 2008+ and now the M3/M4 and alot of them will hand a mustang a healthy beating in just about every single scenario all without a v8. Don't get me wrong I love the sound of a V8 engine and the feel of one as well but Ford needs to get with the times. Sure a small 4.0L v8 twin turbo or 4.0L twin turbo Hybrid V8 would be awesome under the hood of a mustang with an AWD system in several different body types. But if the Mustang is to survive, it needs to not be pigeon holed because if it does, it will die out just like the Camaro. Having a mustang family would allow the vehicle, and the name, to live on.
Sponsored