• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Would anyone like to see Ford use the 7.3L Godziila V8 in a Mustang, resurrecting the Boss 429?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
It could happen as Ford is heavily leaning into performance with the Mustang and the Boss moniker hasn't been used since 2013
Agreed that the ā€œBossā€œ name will be used sometime during the S650 run but it will use a version of the Coyote (5.4 šŸ˜€). Going backwards to a OHV truck engine doesnā€™t seem likely.

OP
OP

CoBrArOx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Genesis GV80 Prestige
No. Boss 429 was a NASCAR homologation special. Godzilla is a truck engine. Doesnā€™t even come close.
The engine Ford used is similar to the Godzilla engine. The 429 used 429 cubic inch displacement with 7.0L and the Godzilla has 7.3L with 445 cubic inch displacement

Tinpot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
The engine Ford used is similar to the Godzilla engine. The 429 used 429 cubic inch displacement with 7.0L and the Godzilla has 7.3L with 445 cubic inch displacement
Displacement is the only similarity. I would have no problem with Ford installing it into a Mustang as unlikely as that seems, but to call it a Boss 429 would be scraping the bottom of the heritage barrel. The Boss 429 is a beautiful engine worthy of a display on its own. Godzilla is not even remotely similar visually and has no NASCAR links. I just canā€™t see a connection apart from a vaguely similar displacement. If Ford were to create a 429ci Coyote - even more unlikely given the architecture - then I may potentially be swayed.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
Displacement is the only similarity. I would have no problem with Ford installing it into a Mustang as unlikely as that seems, but to call it a Boss 429 would be scraping the bottom of the heritage barrel. The Boss 429 is a beautiful engine worthy of a display on its own. Godzilla is not even remotely similar visually and has no NASCAR links. I just canā€™t see a connection apart from a vaguely similar displacement. If Ford were to create a 429ci Coyote - even more unlikely given the architecture - then I may potentially be swayed.
Bro, we almost had an electric SUV called a MACH1, bottoms been hit years ago.

The displacement is all that matters for 90% of people that would buy the car anyway. Not like the current Hemi has any Nascar links wither, I'm honestly amazed people even still watch nascar so I couldn't give 2 shits about that. And NO ONE is going to care if it LOOKS like an engine form the 60's. What matters is that people putting on a good head package and getting 700+HP from them even when the setup was optimized for a blower.

The Godzilla makes more HP and More TQ in its truck configuration than the BOSS ever did, the only issue I'd have is that the Godzilla weighs more than the Coyote so it wouldn't do anything to help handling at all.

The Godzilla is a badass engine in its own right.
Godzilla Rising: Cracking 1,400 Horsepower With Fordā€™s Newest V8 (enginelabs.com)

That said I expect that if they did a 429 it would be a hybrid of the 7.3 and 6.8L engines. I only DONT see it due to the iron block.

Tinpot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Yes, I get all of that. What I was saying is, thereā€™s no displacement connection, no visual connection and no homologation connection. At least the S197 Boss 302ā€™s had a similar displacement and were track oriented. If they were to use it then just call it a Boss 445.

Zcarmenb28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Camaro ZL1, 22 Supra 3.0
Only if it's upgraded to an all-aluminum block and revs to 7,000 rpm like the LS7 7.0 liter in the C6 Z06 and 5th gen Z28. The cast iron block in a Mustang now is a no go. Too heavy.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
No, not sure why the 7.3 has become a sticking point for the mustang community. If Ford went that route, we'd be lucky if it had 600 hp, and it would rev like a slug. We'd be much better off with the new 5.4 that's just as powerful, race proven, and more exotic.

OP
OP

CoBrArOx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Genesis GV80 Prestige
Only if it's upgraded to an all-aluminum block and revs to 7,000 rpm like the LS7 7.0 liter in the C6 Z06 and 5th gen Z28. The cast iron block in a Mustang now is a no go. Too heavy.
I suppose that makes since.
Sponsored