• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

What are your thoughts on the interior of the S650? Specifically the screens

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Ya'll keep waiting for the EriccB edition with double brow.

I'm in agreement with TT above, but not a deal breaker either.

With that said, funny enough, the biggest negative for me about the new interior is the electronic parking brake masquerading as a legit hand brake. The drift brake and remote revving should have also been optional as I can't imagine there are/were a shit ton of people clamoring for those options. People crash Mustangs enough as it is.
Sponsored

OP
OP
KAlexander

KAlexander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350 CCLB Plat, 2018 GT350, 20 ZX6R, 20 ZX10R

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
I also think digital instrument gauges are a little gimmicky. Digital screens often mimic actual gauges which makes them cheesy. After having not ridden in my ZL1 for a while and only riding in my wife's Volvo XC90 which has a digital instrument cluster, my son thought my "3D" gauges were super cool. What's old is new agian, I guess. I like the analog gauges and center screen combo in my ZL1.
I guess it is a matter of preference. I find the digital gauges in my Volvo V90 to be extremely easy on the eyes and far easier to read than the analog gauges in other cars I have owned. I also love the moving map that displays between the speedometer and the tach. It is hands down the best instrument cluster I have ever had.

Roman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2020 Edge
I'm in the camp that doesn't like the tacked on look of the tablets. If they were more integrated I'd most likely have a better opinion. Someone up-thread made a comment about wanting to see the available content and I hadn't thought about that. If they really make use of the space with dynamically changing information I'd probably think it was cool. I remember sitting in a Taurus as a kid and loving the digital elements of the dash. The thing that would absolutely kill me with this set-up is not having the tactile feel of buttons. We had a Fusion with a bunch of touch capacitive "buttons" and I could never find what I wanted while driving. And then I'd fumble around and accidentally turn on things that I didn't want. For this reason alone I'd rather have physical buttons than a tablet. I know I can train myself to do some of it from the buttons on the steering wheel but I'd rather have a dedicated area with the respective buttons and knobs.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I strongly dislike the new dash.

The reason why, is that I'm looking at a S650 from the perspective of it being a 'last of the MT V8's' car that I never end up selling. For that kind of car, I'm not using it for daily driving, I'm using it for fun weekend escapism where I don't worry about all of the stupid shit in day to day life. To me, that is best fulfilled by an analog dash with no bluetooth connections, notifications, etc. A more pure experience if you will. Another pro for an analog dash is that it will age much better than the electronic display, which will look dated in a decade. And repairs down the line will be an expensive pain for the tablets. On top of all that, I think the implementation looks sloppy. Where are my vacuum gauge needle and double hooded dash?

Now if I was buying an ecoboost as a daily driver, I could care less. But I'm really wishing that the redesign or halo cars have a simplified analog dash, even though I recognize it as unlikely.

OP
OP
KAlexander

KAlexander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350 CCLB Plat, 2018 GT350, 20 ZX6R, 20 ZX10R

The reason why, is that I'm looking at a S650 from the perspective of it being a 'last of the MT V8's' car that I never end up selling. For that kind of car, I'm not using it for daily driving, I'm using it for fun weekend escapism..........
I can totally see your point on this - it's why I got my GT350. It sees spirited weekend drives then goes back into hiding.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I can totally see your point on this - it's why I got my GT350. It sees spirited weekend drives then goes back into hiding.
I bought my Mach during that unfortunate period of time where I could get my car for $54k but a '19 GT350 with 10k miles was like $65k. I told myself that was the best choice since I'll probably trade in the Mach towards a S650, but if I'm still not impressed with the later cars I may get a GT350 someday.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I did NOT know that. It looked like a normal e brake to me...well shit
Yeah, no mechanical cable connection, it is all electronic.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To me, this looks terrible. I am OK with screens to an extent but to just stick them on there and not integrate seamlessly into the dash just does not work. I think this will provide a more seamless transition between the IC and the electric one from an interior design perspective which may be part of the point, but when I get in my Mustang my focus is on the critical information that I need to know and the road. Adding more information on digital displays does not improve my driving experience, and I work in a high tech company. There is a time and place for it, but IMO not on the dash of a car. I also find the center display to be a distraction as you cannot operate it through tactile feedback and quick glances. The '15 that I have has just enough real buttons to do the most common operations and I only have to use the screen for the advanced stuff that I only do every now and then. Mine is also a convertible and the screens sometimes become almost unreadable in the wrong sunlight. Though I suppose I am in the minority that I enjoy technology and abhor it at the same time. :crazy:

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The reason why, is that I'm looking at a S650 from the perspective of it being a 'last of the MT V8's' car that I never end up selling. For that kind of car, I'm not using it for daily driving, I'm using it for fun weekend escapism where I don't worry about all of the stupid shit in day to day life. To me, that is best fulfilled by an analog dash with no bluetooth connections, notifications, etc. A more pure experience if you will. Another pro for an analog dash is that it will age much better than the electronic display, which will look dated in a decade. And repairs down the line will be an expensive pain for the tablets. On top of all that, I think the implementation looks sloppy. Where are my vacuum gauge needle and double hooded dash?

Now if I was buying an ecoboost as a daily driver, I could care less. But I'm really wishing that the redesign or halo cars have a simplified analog dash, even though I recognize it as unlikely.

Unfortunately it is probably not going to happen. Another related point, the current line of infotainment is designed for the current crop of mobile technology, but what happens when that technology evolves (faster than the car tech)? I enjoy the connectivity of the integrated Android Auto, if for no better reason than because I like to have Waze up without having to spring for the ridiculously overpriced Ford maps updates, but for that to continue to function years down the road both Ford and Android will have to have simultaneous releases that maintain this functionality. I have seen enough tech get abandoned to think that is always going to be the case and I expect at some point in the possibly not so distant future that this part of the integrated functionality will become defunct.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
Unfortunately it is probably not going to happen. Another related point, the current line of infotainment is designed for the current crop of mobile technology, but what happens when that technology evolves (faster than the car tech)? I enjoy the connectivity of the integrated Android Auto, if for no better reason than because I like to have Waze up without having to spring for the ridiculously overpriced Ford maps updates, but for that to continue to function years down the road both Ford and Android will have to have simultaneous releases that maintain this functionality. I have seen enough tech get abandoned to think that is always going to be the case and I expect at some point in the possibly not so distant future that this part of the integrated functionality will become defunct.
But with the new Android Automotive tech on the way, Google Maps should replace the current Ford version of TomTom.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
i really like the interior, especially the screens. i also like how the "my mode" has gotten a lot more advanced, with at least 6 profiles (if the video from Raiti's Rides at 17:57 is anything to go by). the steering wheel looks much better without the button clusters under the spokes, and those metal(?) drive mode up (and down!) buttons are pretty neat.
my biggest complaints are: 1. actual placement of the screens could've been done better. 2. climate controls on the screen are probably the worst part of the car to me.
Sponsored