• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

What are your thoughts on the interior of the S650? Specifically the screens

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 ND2 30th anniversary
Neither do most drivers.
If you have a V8 (with built in line-lock) and you don't use it occasionally. Then you bought the wrong car :p

Not you as in you, but you get the point.
Sponsored

Last edited:

R3G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2021 Ram 1500 TRX
I think the interior is both trying to recapture the 80s/90s Foxbody feel while expanding the digital features to entice younger drivers who grew up on cell phones. Me personally i would have preferred more classic mustang touches because honestly the interior, while fine, doesnt seem like a mustang but I’ll reserve final judgement till the prod models hit dealers. My primary complaint is the way the screens are not integrated into the car at at all just iPads glued onto the dash essentially. But like most folks here, we dont primarily buy these cars for the interiors. Also likely that this is the last ICE mustang, Ford says take the V8 and be happy 😭

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stuff With Wheels
Deal breaker. End of story.

I have my nits to pick about the exterior, but the interior kills what little interest I have in the S650.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stuff With Wheels
I strongly dislike the new dash.

The reason why, is that I'm looking at a S650 from the perspective of it being a 'last of the MT V8's' car that I never end up selling. For that kind of car, I'm not using it for daily driving, I'm using it for fun weekend escapism where I don't worry about all of the stupid shit in day to day life. To me, that is best fulfilled by an analog dash with no bluetooth connections, notifications, etc. A more pure experience if you will. Another pro for an analog dash is that it will age much better than the electronic display, which will look dated in a decade. And repairs down the line will be an expensive pain for the tablets. On top of all that, I think the implementation looks sloppy. Where are my vacuum gauge needle and double hooded dash?

Now if I was buying an ecoboost as a daily driver, I could care less. But I'm really wishing that the redesign or halo cars have a simplified analog dash, even though I recognize it as unlikely.
This.

But since they ruined what could have been the S650, my '15 will be the last ICE Mustang I'll buy new.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I’ll also say that if you like the Foxbody interior,
58B0EBF7-E070-4990-B00E-3370256DE034.jpeg
you’ll probably like the S650 interior.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I disagree

OP
OP
KAlexander

KAlexander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350 CCLB Plat, 2018 GT350, 20 ZX6R, 20 ZX10R
I’ll also say that if you like the Foxbody interior,
58B0EBF7-E070-4990-B00E-3370256DE034.jpeg
you’ll probably like the S650 interior.
I love those vents. I mentioned earlier they reminded me of the FB vents!!

R3G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2021 Ram 1500 TRX
Yeah while I can get on board with retro styling…Foxbody was never my jam. Kinda kicking myself for selling my S550 now. But theres always used market. I’m sure a lot of people will still trade up for the power boost. But I’m probably going Dark Horse and will complain about the interior and trade up if Ford does a redesign.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Yeah while I can get on board with retro styling…Foxbody was never my jam. Kinda kicking myself for selling my S550 now. But theres always used market. I’m sure a lot of people will still trade up for the power boost. But I’m probably going Dark Horse and will complain about the interior and trade up if Ford does a redesign.
S550s dropping in price pretty significantly; you could always just buy another one

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
I think the interior is both trying to recapture the 80s/90s Foxbody feel while expanding the digital features to entice younger drivers who grew up on cell phones. Me personally i would have preferred more classic mustang touches because honestly the interior, while fine, doesnt seem like a mustang but I’ll reserve final judgement till the prod models hit dealers. My primary complaint is the way the screens are not integrated into the car at at all just iPads glued onto the dash essentially. But like most folks here, we dont primarily buy these cars for the interiors. Also likely that this is the last ICE mustang, Ford says take the V8 and be happy 😭
I am one of those folks who put design and function over high performance (225-325HP is ideal for me) any day.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
Its interesting to see how just many cars now have these wide tablet style dash screens. It is clearly a design choice that has gained popularity and is increasingly common in many mid-range and some higher end makes. But it also seems to generate a lot of controversy with many people who seem to strongly dislike them.

But what a lot of people seem to forget is that one you are in the car, the content of the screen is what you really notice and that is where these wide screen really seem to shine. I recently had a ride in Kia Carnival which has a similar layout to the new S650 dash and was impressed with how the useful the screens were. Everything is clear and crisp and the content dynamically changed as you drove (e.g.; turn on the directional signal and a portion of the screen shows an image from a camera mounted by the side mirror, or a parking camera view pops up as soon as you start to pull into a parking space).

I tend to agree that the "stuck on" tablet styling which is so popular now looks a bit crude, but I am much more interested to see the actual S650 screen content. The digital dash content in the S550 401A package is pretty underwhelming, so Ford has a lot of catch up to do here.

IMG_2819.jpg
In the convertible unless there is a shroud over them, the sun pretty much obliterates the color on the display.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Renault Fuego Turbo
We all know the S650 is basically a refresh of the S550.
The dash of the S550 definitely looks dated, but still a cool look.
Sync3 is also quite dated although functional at least.

S650 brings a new electrical architecture that is much faster and more capable including over the air updates. Yeah I know they also added encryption which makes life more difficult for tuners. The problem is that the design of the S650 instrument panel is just so generic.... So uninspired..... It really looks like they phoned it in and spent zero time bringing in any mustang heritage or cues.

I know that the IP of a mustang isn't the most important thing, it's just disappointing that it's so weak.

The comparison to the mid 80s fox body interiors is pretty interesting - I never connected those dots and must admit that there is a similarity. However that design was also pretty bland and uninspired, so if that's what they were trying to emulate I guess they succeeded.

I have a '23 Mach 1 on order and am anxiously waiting for pricing on the '24 as well as real world reviews of the handling and hopefully improved steering. That or a CT4VBW :)
Sponsored