• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Wash Media: Mitts, Sponges & Pads

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Wash media is the term used to describe the various forms of mitts, pads and sponges used to perform the contact wash. And boy has this area of detailing come a very long way in the last 15 to 20 years.

Full disclosure, I washed my cars with foam sponges for longer than I care to admit to. But I dare say most would have been the same or continue to do so.

In this thread, I'll cover the different materials and formats of wash media.

S650 Mustang Wash Media: Mitts, Sponges & Pads IMG-3930

Wash Media Materials

Foam –

Typically offered at the lower end of the market, foam is cost effective, easy to care for and easily replaced. Although there are some exceptions, you are more likely to cause wash induced scratches and swirls with foam.

S650 Mustang Wash Media: Mitts, Sponges & Pads cws101

Wool –

A material used for decades and one many swear by. It’s a naturally soft fiber, environmentally friendly and sustainably produced. It does however tend to grab and hold onto contamination, and personally, I have never really liked wool for this role.

Microfiber –

Effectively the standard material for car washing, microfiber is durable, soft and ideally suited to softer paint or darker colours. It also seems to release contamination more effectively than wool.

Chenille –

This is technically microfiber but arranged very differently, so I'm considering this as a separate material. These items are the noodle-style wash mitts and pads.

Wash Media Types

Sponges –

In this case, I’m referring to the foam blocks that are most people’s starting point in detailing. They are cost effective, available everywhere, simple, and easy care for.

Surprisingly, foam sponges are making a bit of a comeback. There are now several specific foam sponges used for rinse-less washing, the cross hatching creates a gridwork of “fingers” that trap, and then release contamination. Koch Chemie have also started offering a sea-sponge looking material, which apparently is extremely good, although its going to take a lot of bribing for me to try one.

Benchmarks – in my case, I only use The Rag Company Ultra Black Sponge, specifically designed for rinse-less washing, but can also be used for soap and bucket washing.

https://detailingshed.com.au/products/the-rag-company-ultra-black-sponge
Ultra Black Sponge | The Rag Company

https://detailingshed.com.au/products/koch-chemie-washing-sponge

S650 Mustang Wash Media: Mitts, Sponges & Pads IMG-7034

S650 Mustang Wash Media: Mitts, Sponges & Pads IMG-7034

Wash Mitts –

Available in wool or microfiber, these are effectively worn as a glove. Personally, I don’t like wash mitts, I find them cumbersome to put on and remove. Compared to a wash pad, you need to contort your hand to swap sides as you work section by section.

Benchmarks – there is a lot of variety here, I used the Carpro Microfiber Mitt for many years as its very easy to put on and take off. If you prefer a cuffed wash mitt, then the TRC Cyclone or Ultra would be where I would look, that or the Microfiber Madness DeliMitt is ideal for soft or delicate paints.

https://www.waxit.com.au/collection...ts/carpro-microfiber-mitt?variant=35396543697
CARPRO Hand Wash Microfiber Mitt (carpro-us.com)

https://detailingshed.com.au/produc...e-ultra-wash-mitt-with-cuff-korean-microfiber
The Cyclone Ultra Wash Mitt & Wash Pad Combo | The Rag Company

https://store.primefinish.com.au/collections/microfiber-madness/products/microfiber-madness-delimitt
Microfiber Madness DeliMitt - Skys The Limit Car Care (carpro-us.com)

S650 Mustang Wash Media: Mitts, Sponges & Pads IMG-4860

S650 Mustang Wash Media: Mitts, Sponges & Pads IMG-4860

Wash Pads –

Unlike a wash mitt, a wash pad contains an inner foam structure which helps distribute pressure points more evenly. That foam will also hold and release soapy water, especially important if you don’t use a foam cannon to apply soap directly to the car. I like wash pads because they are more flexible, allowing the user to flip the pad as needed. Like wash mitts, wash pads are available in wool or microfiber.

Benchmarks – wash pads seem to be a much of a muchness. I use TRC Cyclone or Ultra series, but Microfiber Madness have good options, I also like Carpro’s DabDab. Again, the Microfiber Madness DeliPad is great for ultra soft surfaces.

https://detailingshed.com.au/products/the-rag-company-the-cyclone-ultra-wash-pad-15cm-x-20cm
The Cyclone Ultra Wash Pad | The Rag Company

https://detailingshed.com.au/products/platinum-pluffle-hybrid-weave-microfiber-towel
The Cyclone Bone Microfiber Wash Sponge | The Rag Company

https://www.waxit.com.au/collection...products/carpro-dabdab?variant=39694032830553
CARPRO DabDab Wash Tool (carpro-us.com)

https://store.primefinish.com.au/co...adness/products/microfiber-madness-delipad-xl
Microfiber Madness Incredipad XL - Skys The Limit Car Care (carpro-us.com)

S650 Mustang Wash Media: Mitts, Sponges & Pads IMG-6727

S650 Mustang Wash Media: Mitts, Sponges & Pads IMG-1403

Towels –

Many prefer this method, using multiple microfiber towels to wash the car, swapping to a clean towel after finishing each section. This is said to be one of the safest ways to wash your car as a used/dirty towel never re-enters the bucket or returns to the car. In theory, you could do this with mitts and pads as well, although at significantly higher cost. Towels are also the best choice for rinse-less washing, again, a used towel never returns to the bucket or car. You also have the ability to fold the towel in a way that gives you eight different cleaning sides.

Benchmarks – two towels stand out to me for this role, the TRC Platinum Pluffle and the TRC Eagle Edgeless 500. Both are plush and soft towels in a square orientation, which is great for folding into equal sections. The Platinum Pluffle is offered in three sizes, but you want the smallest 40cm x 40cm version for this role. I’m now using the Eagle Edgeless 500 as my rinse-less wash towel.

https://detailingshed.com.au/products/highest-quality-hybrid-weave-microfiber?variant=18460495937593
Platinum Pluffle Microfiber Detailing Towel | The Rag Company

https://detailingshed.com.au/products/eagle-edgeless-500?_pos=1&_sid=f4712f6a3&_ss=r
Eagle Edgeless 500 | The Rag Company

S650 Mustang Wash Media: Mitts, Sponges & Pads IMG-6198

S650 Mustang Wash Media: Mitts, Sponges & Pads IMG-6193

Tips, Tricks & What to Look For

- Wash media is subjective. Personally, I hate wash mitts, but I can see why some would like the safety net of having a wash mitt and the reduced risk of dropping on the ground.

- For Chenille wash media, these are said to be less effective at cleaning because of how they limit consistent contact with the surface being cleaned.

-With the exception of items used for wheels, I wash and care for wash media like any other microfiber towel. After use, they are machine washed in warm water with Rag’s to Riches, air dried indoors, then stored in airtight containers.

- Along with drying towels, your wash media will be touching the car the most often. As such, investing in high quality wash media is very important. And swap or demote them as needed, they are a consumable!

- Both The Rag Company and Microfiber Madness sell extra-large wash pads, the 10X from TRC and the IncrediPad XL from MM. Be mindful that these pads hold a LOT of water, as result they are very heavy when fully saturated. This can be good or bad depending on your preferences. On smaller cars, these offerings are just too big and cumbersome, on larger vehicles with big flat panels, they offer some efficiency gains.

https://detailingshed.com.au/produc...crofiber-wash-pad?_pos=1&_sid=fdb42d015&_ss=r
The Cyclone Ultra 10X Microfiber Wash Pad | The Rag Company

https://store.primefinish.com.au/co...ess/products/microfiber-madness-incredipad-xl
Microfiber Madness Incredipad XL - Skys The Limit Car Care (carpro-us.com)

S650 Mustang Wash Media: Mitts, Sponges & Pads IMG-0177

S650 Mustang Wash Media: Mitts, Sponges & Pads IMG-5463

- When filling buckets, I add a generous slug of soap directly to the wash pad rather than into the bucket itself. This allows you to fill the bucket properly without ending up with a half full bucket and an overflow of suds. (This method is mostly reserved for those who apply the soap via a foam cannon……….in other words, the single bucket method.)

S650 Mustang Wash Media: Mitts, Sponges & Pads IMG-6025

S650 Mustang Wash Media: Mitts, Sponges & Pads IMG-2810

- Always, always have separate wash media for wheels. These small mitts are brilliant for cleaning wheels, about the only time I prefer a mitt over a pad. If you need something smaller, then the Maxshine or Flexipad versions are a good options.

https://detailingshed.com.au/produc...el-mitt-15-x-18cm?_pos=3&_sid=8ea3b7ed1&_ss=r
Cyclone Ultra Wheel Mitt | The Rag Company

https://detailingshed.com.au/produc...sh-mitt-2pcs-pack?_pos=1&_sid=8ea3b7ed1&_ss=r
Lambskin Wheel Mitt | Merino Wool Cleaning Pads | Obsessed Garage

S650 Mustang Wash Media: Mitts, Sponges & Pads IMG-7564

S650 Mustang Wash Media: Mitts, Sponges & Pads IMG-7599

Happy Washing! :like:
Sponsored

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
Where did you get that wash bucket?

DevilDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT on order
Yes, detailing has come a very long way. I remember washing my brand new '69 Plymouth Roadrunner with Joy dish washing soap. 😳 Now I have microfiber wash mitts, over 100 microfiber towels of varying quality, an orbital buffer, polishes, etc., etc.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Where did you get that wash bucket?
The bucket itself is nothing fancy, just 15 liter white buckets. To that, I added grit guards, gamma seals, bucket dollies and decals.

S650 Mustang Wash Media: Mitts, Sponges & Pads IMG-1386

S650 Mustang Wash Media: Mitts, Sponges & Pads IMG-0254

Being in Australia, I had to piece everything together from several sources as no one sold what I wanted in one place. However, my setup is modeled on Obsessed Garages Bucket Package, which includes everything in one transaction. He also sells it Alacarte. There are cheaper available, but if you enjoy doing this, then I see value in having the best.

Car Wash Buckets & Accessories | Obsessed Garage

Otherwise, these are what you would be looking for -

Collections – gritguard.com

Full write up is here -
Gamma Seal Bucket Lids | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

prestj1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S650 TBC
@DFB5.0 Slighlty off topic but have you, or any of the other guys here had any experience with the MotorOne Hydro G9+ ceramic goating for cars. Is it any good and worth the money in your opinions. I haven't used it before so keen to hear anyones thoughts.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
@DFB5.0 Slighlty off topic but have you, or any of the other guys here had any experience with the MotorOne Hydro G9+ ceramic goating for cars. Is it any good and worth the money in your opinions. I haven't used it before so keen to hear anyones thoughts.
MotorOne are a brand aimed at the dealership industry, basically products sold by the aftercare lady. As such I have no real experience with the brand or the products.

5.0ALM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV4 Cruiser, S650 allocated, waiting...
And down the wabbit hole, we go... :giggle:

A delivery from the Detailing Shed this morning.
Various microfiber towels, a wash mitt, wash pad, and bug scrubber from TRC.
A Detail Factory ultra-soft detailing short handle brush, along with what I really wanted... P&S Swift clean & shine for the interior.

S650 Mustang Wash Media: Mitts, Sponges & Pads 20240326_115512_1200

All based on the #1 reference out there! :like:

S650 Mustang Wash Media: Mitts, Sponges & Pads 20240326_115537_1200

Next phase, in a few months time, will be a foam cannon, gun and associated QC nozzles. :facepalm:

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
And down the wabbit hole, we go... :giggle:

A delivery from the Detailing Shed this morning.
Various microfiber towels, a wash mitt, wash pad, and bug scrubber from TRC.
A Detail Factory ultra-soft detailing short handle brush, along with what I really wanted... P&S Swift clean & shine for the interior.

S650 Mustang Wash Media: Mitts, Sponges & Pads {filename}

All based on the #1 reference out there! :like:

Next phase, in a few months time, will be a foam cannon, gun and associated QC nozzles. :facepalm:
That's so awesome! :clap:

jfische5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
Any suggestions for the grille? I was noticing it is kinda hard to get my old man hands into the crevices but my eyes aren't too old to not see it! Any brush/tool anyone might suggest?

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Any suggestions for the grille? I was noticing it is kinda hard to get my old man hands into the crevices but my eyes aren't too old to not see it! Any brush/tool anyone might suggest?
Not having seen a S650 in person yet, but I'm fairly sure the grill is gloss black on these cars?

If so, you want the softest brush possible, something like the Detail Factory Ultra Soft Synthetic brushes. These are softest brushes I have found, while also being extremely durable, so you will have it for years. They are offered in short and long handle, you want the long version.

Detail Factory - Ultra-Soft Detailing Brushes | The Rag Company

S650 Mustang Wash Media: Mitts, Sponges & Pads feb21214

While you are washing the car, agitated the grill using the brush in tandem with your soapy water, foam or some All Purpose Cleaner. Rinse and repeat if needed.

The alternative would be to use some APC and a brush wrapped with a towel to poke into each segment. Tedious though..........................

S650 Mustang Wash Media: Mitts, Sponges & Pads IMG_5595

S650 Mustang Wash Media: Mitts, Sponges & Pads IMG_5597

S650 Mustang Wash Media: Mitts, Sponges & Pads IMG_5601

jfische5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
Not having seen a S650 in person yet, but I'm fairly sure the grill is gloss black on these cars?

If so, you want the softest brush possible, something like the Detail Factory Ultra Soft Synthetic brushes. These are softest brushes I have found, while also being extremely durable, so you will have it for years. They are offered in short and long handle, you want the long version.

Detail Factory - Ultra-Soft Detailing Brushes | The Rag Company

While you are washing the car, agitated the grill using the brush in tandem with your soapy water, foam or some All Purpose Cleaner. Rinse and repeat if needed.

The alternative would be to use some APC and a brush wrapped with a towel to poke into each segment. Tedious though..........................

I like it! Finally going to order those brushes. :-)
Sponsored