• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
This is disappointing to read.

Thankfully, we have the aftermarket.

Exactly.......although the clutch thing is weird......

In 2016 you could get the GT350 with the technology package or with the track package....not both..... the track package had all the coolers

Well people without the track package were having trouble with different bits overheating on track also- hence there was a class action lawsuit against Ford by the technology package owners - so starting in 17 all the coolers came as standard equipment.....

So some history here with Ford and parts getting hot on track ....

Luckily as you stated- lots of aftermarket parts available.....or I am soon sure to be available for the S650 if not all ready ....(havent looked)
Sponsored

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Exactly.......although the clutch thing is weird......

In 2016 you could get the GT350 with the technology package or with the track package....not both..... the track package had all the coolers

Well people without the track package were having trouble with different bits overheating on track also- hence there was a class action lawsuit against Ford by the technology package owners - so starting in 17 all the coolers came as standard equipment.....

So some history here with Ford and parts getting hot on track ....

Luckily as you stated- lots of aftermarket parts available.....or I am soon sure to be available for the S650 if not all ready ....(havent looked)
I’m kinda hoping it turns out to be something simple that was inadvertently overlooked, otherwise it’s almost beginning to sound like deja vu all over again.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
People ask why choose a Dark Horse over a GT, and it's because if you want to go to a road course stock, the DH will not overheat. If you plan to mod it, i think either are fine, but goes to show a DH is not just a GT with a badge.

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE
This is the exact reason I replaced my '18 GT track car. Car would short shift on it's own at 4500 rpm if the oil went from yellow to red on the gauge and it would do that in about 1-2 laps. Chased it with mods for a little bit but decided to go another route. This was an A10 car also and it's disappointing to hear this on a new stick car.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 ND2 30th anniversary
This is why one would go with a DH and this is where the extra dollares would go with the additional cooling and different trans(with the M6) from factory (without having to start adding coolers etc on a GT). Lot of folks question why to go for the DH, getting ice cream and thinking that you drive it hard to get there and home is completely different from pushing it on a track (not saying that MMR did not know this)

However on the other hand a GT (/PP) should withstand at least some driving on a road course before getting into this type of issue. Have seen on the GT 10As in the past that they would not withstand that much on a course but even with the MT82 and not being able to do even a couple of laps...

Last edited:

Ike99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 1 Tacoma Pre Runner, 2016 Avalon
People ask why choose a Dark Horse over a GT, and it's because if you want to go to a road course stock, the DH will not overheat. If you plan to mod it, i think either are fine, but goes to show a DH is not just a GT with a badge.
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I do not recall the GT being promoted as track ready. As best I can recall, I only saw Dark Horse variants advertised as track ready. I think Dub called it right. If you want to track your car, go with the Dark Horse or plan to spend on mods.

JohnO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES F Sport, 85 Mustang GT modified
Why wasn't a GT with the PP used for the track as it also has an oil cooler?

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
A lot of the time, the temp issues are with the transmission or rear diff. Both of which have coolers on the Dark Horse. I think the DH also has an additional oil cooler.

The temp issue is common, the S550 was the same way, the GT PP would not get a full 20 minute HDHP session without going into limp mode. The Mach 1 could just fine. That is literally the difference between the 2. The Dark Horse is made for HDHP days from the factory, the GT PP will require some coolers.

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
MMR takes the 24' GT to Buttonwillow Raceway for the Speed Ventures Mustang Time Trial Challenge (competition for fastest lap)

We should start by saying that normal driving the car is just fine.

At the track however our base GT (that lacks a bumper mounted oil cooler like the darkhorse) overheated instantly on every lap. The Track is about 2 mins long, each session the car started the lap at normal operating temp and about 3/4 lap oil temp was in the red and the car is limited to 4500rpm (and possibly other ecu limiters).
Outside temp that day what? In the mid 80s?

sir5574

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
A lot of the time, the temp issues are with the transmission or rear diff. Both of which have coolers on the Dark Horse. I think the DH also has an additional oil cooler.

The temp issue is common, the S550 was the same way, the GT PP would not get a full 20 minute HDHP session without going into limp mode. The Mach 1 could just fine. That is literally the difference between the 2. The Dark Horse is made for HDHP days from the factory, the GT PP will require some coolers.
Just another way the PP is a complete letdown from ford... the 1LE package on the SS Camaro gives you all that plus a tremec.

1695144384974.png

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I do not recall the GT being promoted as track ready. As best I can recall, I only saw Dark Horse variants advertised as track ready. I think Dub called it right. If you want to track your car, go with the Dark Horse or plan to spend on mods.
There's a massive difference between being able to beat on a car for a day's session versus not being able to complete a 2 minute lap without power being cut. That's unacceptable.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
There's a massive difference between being able to beat on a car for a day's session versus not being able to complete a 2 minute lap without power being cut. That's unacceptable.
Yikes i didn't realize it was a 2 minute lap. Thats not good. Typically was taking S550s about 15 minutes to hit limp mode if i recall.

FlyNavy86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Gold Camry
Do we know if the PP actually has an oil cooler? I thought all GTs get an oil cooler behind the driver side front lower vent.

Definitely unacceptable it overheated so quick. I’d understand if they had this happen after 10 minutes of pushing hard, but not even a lap is insane. I will cancel my order if all GTs are this bad.
Sponsored