• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Thoughts on the Dark Horse Name

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I never said there was cluelessness. I said that the shelby name meant nothing to them. There is no history, no connection. They did not grow up watching him racing. They did not see him do the stuff that made him famous. It's just another corporate name to the newer generations.

Shelby resonates with older generations partly because of the older mustangs, partly because of the reputation or Carol Shelby. But it does not have that same meaning to the new generation. It's just another name. Bringing in a new name has risks, but if it's a dud, they can leave it. If it's a success, they can bring it back later to get another burst of that nostalgia factor.
Sorry, I wasn’t implying that you said anything about cluelessness either. I’m in the younger demo and most of the people I talk to inside and outside of car enthusiast scenes generally have an idea of what I’m talking about, but more people specifically only know about GT500s from my experience. I think that’s because of the continuity they’ve kept throughout the years.
Sponsored

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
S650 Mustang Thoughts on the Dark Horse Name s-l1600

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
S650 Mustang Thoughts on the Dark Horse Name Clays_&_IO_Exterior_10-22-2021_DarkHorse side

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Zcarmenb28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Camaro ZL1, 22 Supra 3.0
I think this is a really bad take. Selling a car needs a catchy name. It doesn't take much car sales knowledge to see that one of Dodges key reason that their market share grew in the last few years with absolutely not technical advances is their marketing including the model names. Hellcat, Demon, Redeye, it's easy to remember and easily tells it has power.

In comparison try to get someone exited about Chevy models with ZL1, ZL1 1LE, Z/28, Z51, Z06, Z06 with Z07, etc. Or just the fact that they have a 1LT and a LT1 Camaro model at the same time, wtf.

A name matters. The Challenger Hellcat is easily a worse car than a GT500 or ZL1, it's slower, handles horribly worse, but yet it's selling extremly well.

Ford has a known name with Shelby for higher models, but it's safe to say that their "Performance Package 2" was a horrible attempt to sell a track focused GT package, and the Mach 1 didn't really hit the spot in terms of hype and was badly timed when you sell a BEV SUV named Mustang Mach-E.

So the Dark Horse name with the Hellcat-inspired emblem is a great move. From what I saw in the last years only a handful of Mustang-diehard-fans were really excited for a Bullitt or Mach 1 and willed to pay so much more for these cars, but now tons of people are saying they really want the DH and not just the GT for Gen 7.
It is very easy to get people excited about ZL1, Z06, and ZR1. They are well known trim levels of high-performance American sports cars. Z28 is also a historic trim of Camaro that people know. I agree the others you listed aren't as known, but to be fair, Z51, Z07, 1LE, etc., are just packaged options and not trims, so their lack of general population knowledge or popularity doesn't really matter.

I'll admit that Hellcat, Redeye, Demon, etc., probably sound cooler or catchier to the average person.

Having an LT1 trim is confusing, I agree, with 1LT.

GM could use some improvement of their option codes.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Maybe a bit controversial, but I think "War Horse" would be a cool name.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Is it just the lighting/angle or in this picture the bumper area right below the headlights looks painted to color?
Similar overall shade to the body paint and nothing on the ground to reflect besides a pure white showroom floor so the light diffuses the same way, making them look the same in this pic
Sponsored