• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

The new dashboard is a big mistake IMO

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
It's cheaper and probably requires less chips, since everything is controlled by one more powerful chip. It's definitely a cost cutter. The whole dash in the 7th gen looks terrible.
One of the biggest problems automakers had with getting computer chips is that they were all REALLY old designs that were not kept up to date or made modern. They mostly used old outdated processes for manufacturing. Moving to a more modern/single chip design will provide a huge benefit to the auto industry and it has the ability to lower costs as well.
Sponsored

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT
I hate the new dash.

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 23 Bronco Sp, 12 Boss, 66 V8 Coupe
user ACE posted some picts in another thread of some car companies and their "tech" integrated in the dashes, and i think they look way better than what ford came up with. i told him i think my 6yr old could have done a better job. "lets build a shelf and put 2 tablets on it" i think that is what Ford said.....
i would like to sit in one just to see how much the "screen" blocks my view of the roadway....

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I really like the simplicity of the dash in my GT350.

I even like that Ford omitted "My Color" from the GT350 - you get whatever illumination color you want as long as it's red needles on white numbers. They also omitted the extra "Ground Speed" and whatever else. The gauges are just plain. Perfect.

Unfortunately the gauges are also beyond useless. I couldn't easily drive the car on track without the progressive shift light (the GT350's is HUD style, like the frontal collision warning in other Ford vehicles) and I couldn't easily maintain a given speed in street driving without the digital speedometer readout in the center. The "analog" speedometer on the GT350 is particularly useless - it only has tics for every 10mph, and only every 20mph is labeled. And it has a comical amount of parallax error. It's essentially there for looks and regulatory reasons.

I've also grown to appreciate having a navigation screen that isn't buried way low like the S550 one is. Having it up high, near where your eyes already are on the road, is a huge safety improvement.

So count me among those who see this as a big practical step up for the Mustang, even if it's an aesthetic step backwards.

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328i '09
What’s interesting is that is way way that many folks are perceiving the way the new screens look. Actually they are not that bad. That said, I’ll wait until I’m sitting in front of them before making any final judgements.

From Riati’s YT intro video.

389CB1F9-38ED-48D5-BE9B-521CF5B807CC.jpeg
Alright Ill bite. There are a few parts to design and I don't speak as an industrial designer but wife is one and she is a bit surprised.

1. Usability: The new dash has its pros and cons. Somethings will be more usable and somethings will be less. The less ones are something obvious - HVAC/Climate. More usable, better operations for managing media I guess, but time will tell.

2. Look n Feel: May even be a higher priority than #1 here because form sells more over function imo. Doesn't matter how you sell it, this looks "awful". And ofcourse looks are subjective but there there are many consoles that are much better designed like Tesla and Porsche and Mustang had years of feedback available in the public domain.

IMO both #1 and #2 are bad here and not like - I can make it work - it just doesn't work. The lack of analog toggles is mind blowing from a company that had beautiful switches in S550 against the trends. This S650 team definitely went against a few wishes and recommendations here as they are basically hurting real utility and usability when on road. It is truly astonishing and lets not give a pass to Ford here. This is more objectively wrong than perhaps #2.

You can spend huge amounts of time, money and effort on what is an essentially wrong concept to begin with.

Whoever designed this has no clue about Mustang heritage and neither has all management above him/her. Which is no surprise because in the end of the day these are the same people who approved the idea of naming Mach-E a Mustang.
#3. Heritage: Generally for hardware and software, you can go beyond heritage even if it hurts usability and nobody bats an eye - it depends on the product. Mustang is about heritage. Hell, 95% of the presentation was about jerking off to heritage and this Mustang panel is far away from it. From the inside, I can't identify the car as a Mustang which is an issue for me; maybe not for others; but it surprises me a bit. This forum is serious about heritage unlike some of the newer owners like me and this Mustang goes against all of that. It's unfortunate.

The second screen takes the place of the Sync 3. It’s actually in a better, higher position. You shouldn’t need to look at it while you’re driving. That’s what voice controls are for. We’ve had screens for years so this is hardly a step backwards.
If Voice is your primary way of managing your car, something went wrong. Multiple reasons:

1. Doesn't help the muted.
2. Doesn't help if people are talking.
3. Doesn't help if there is music playing.
4. Doesn't help if you just don't want to talk.
5. Most importantly a 1 line sentence to change HVAC configuration and then wait for feedback and potentially have to speak again is much much worse than clicking a button that is muscle memory.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
One of the biggest problems automakers had with getting computer chips is that they were all REALLY old designs that were not kept up to date or made modern.
The outdated processes have one advantage - they have been tested by time. The automotive industry is very conservative and even quite simple chips undergo a serious qualification (internal validation) before they are put into a production (at least here in Europe).

It is not uncommon to spend one year and significant money on the process, so every carmaker hangs onto the parts they already have and fears the moment they will have to replace them with something "more modern". Considering "more modern" is usually also synonyme for more complex, you can hardly blame them.

This is what the car manufacturers have to do, but this is basically just a (smaller) part of it. The major burden is on the chip manufacturers who might not even be able to validate the most advanced processes for the automotive use, because of the stringent requirements for PPM (failure rate) or operating conditions (temperature, vibrations, etc.).

The chips which go into cars are quite different from chips for phones, TVs, or washing machines.

Last edited:

Crashjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, 2019 GT350
I would love to fast forward a year to see how many of the haters actually buy something else instead of a Mustang. Internet hate is easy, but when it comes down to putting down the Benjamin’s I’m willing to bet a lot if folks will be singing a different tune. Just like 2015 and 2018.
I would love to fast forward a year to see how many of the haters actually buy something else instead of a Mustang. Internet hate is easy, but when it comes down to putting down the Benjamin’s I’m willing to bet a lot if folks will be singing a different tune. Just like 2015 and 2018.
You are right, most people will buy something they don't like just because, I broke 73 years of the family only buying fords, couldn't be happier, waiting on my 22 challenger 6sp scat pack shaker hood to arrive, I do miss my mustangs but not the S550 platform or the new S650, thank god there is a 70 mach 1 in the garage and probably an 85 fox body added soon.

LaserDawg1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing right now
I actually like the screens because I am a big tech person. I had a s550 and want to put the digital cluster in and also linkswell 12" multimedia screen.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
Is it my imagination or does the GPS on the center display look two dimensional and only has two colors? So early 1990s.

S650 Mustang The new dashboard is a big mistake IMO 2024 Mustang touchscreen

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure what cars had GPS in the early 90s lol.
It was way before Waze and was called either Garmin or Tom-Tom. It was simple, you just mounted it to your dash and press the buttons for your destination. I have still got mine and use regularly. The display was 500% better the display pictured above.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
It was way before Waze and was called either Garmin or Tom-Tom. It was simple, you just mounted it to your dash and press the buttons for your destination. I have still got mine and use regularly. The display was 500% better the display pictured above.
I had those too, but not in the early 90s.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
The first portable GPS unit was released by Garmin in 1998 and the US government didn't unscramble GPS signal to allow better than 100 yard accuracy until 2000.

You're off by a decade my guy.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The first portable GPS unit was released by Garmin in 1998 and the US government didn't unscramble GPS signal to allow better than 100 yard accuracy until 2000.

Folks, I was referring to the GPS display in 2024 Mustang looking like ones from the early 1990s. The ones (I was referring) were used during the Gulf War which the display only had 2 colors. In my statement I never said anything about a car GPS in the early 1990s.
Sponsored