• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Tacked-on Infotainment Screens Trend

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Wasn’t trying to attack anyone in their 30s just making a general assumption about things. Also of course you all know what UE is cause you just ordered a car where they continuously talk about it 😂
Sponsored

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I find the ageist comments to be tacky in general (just like the S650's infotainment screens, ZING!!! :sunglasses:). I'm not even sure where they came from, nor why they're being entertained.

It's not as though one's taste in vehicle design or how saavy someone is technically has anything to do with their age.

Why can't we just discuss the subject based on the merits? And if we agree to disagree, so be it.

Last edited:

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
Then go buy a Mercedes if it’s that big of a deal.
You made quite an economic jump from an American made pony car to European made high end luxury car. How about comparing apples to apples. Wait, there is no more American comparison to the Mustang, dollarwise. You may love the Mustang, but Ford has placed most of its apples in the truck/SUV market. IMO, Ford's high end truck/SUVs have a lot better interiors than Mustang (including LED screens).

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
You made quite an economic jump from an American made pony car to European made high end luxury car. How about comparing apples to apples. Wait, there is no more American comparison to the Mustang, dollarwise. You may love the Mustang, but Ford has placed most of its apples in the truck/SUV market. IMO, Ford's high end truck/SUVs have a lot better interiors than Mustang (including LED screens).
You can get a Mercedes for under 60k. My mustang is 65k

bloominguez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
It is pretty funny that we are arguing over something none of us have used lmao.

R.e. Cadillac, ranger, Merc infotainments….Ranger makes no sense why is the infotainment vertical. It’s a truck so I can kind of understand. Cadillac looks like every other infotainment of the last decade. Mercedes looks fresh and just like mustang. Really glad ford took after the Germans
It is funny, yes, but....
1) Arguing is what internet fora (toss in the Latin plural, so we can argue more!) are for.
2) We can clearly see the pictures, so we don't have to wait to use any of this before commencing arguing. :)

Having said that, there is no black and white here. I think all manufacturers get some things right and some things wrong.

In Cadillac's case, I don't mind that it looks like every other infotainment system of the last decade, I don't care about that. If something works, it works. I don't need something "all new" constantly. The center infotainment screen will be displaying a map or radio/podcast/Spotify information (whatever my phone tells it to display) most of the time, so even if they got the software for that infotainment screen "wrong" it won't affect me much.

What I do care about (and they got a lot of this stuff right) is: The climate control buttons on the Cadillac are very well done, super easy to use quickly (no, I don't like automatic climate control). The dashboard displays on the Cadillac are very well done, nice looking gauges and a good amount of customization allowed. Unfortunately, their steering wheel controls are very poor, designed for looks and not functionality.

Ford got some things right, too. On my Bronco, the climate controls are great, simple and easy to use (lower trim level, I don't like the climate controls on the higher trims/packages). And the steering wheels controls are vastly superior to the Cadillac's, unbelievably easy to use without ever looking. On the downside, the Bronco's dash display is horrific, just an absolutely mess. Good luck knowing your rpm at a glance, dual displays of your speed such that you don't even look at a large part of the gauges (analog speed display), and acres of unused space. Can't win 'em all, I guess--not that Ford even tried.

Finally, the Mustang. I think the infotainment screens are .... not good. If you think "the Cadillac looks like every other infotainment of the last decade" what do you think people will think of the "well, I give up, I guess we could tack on a few more iPads" design phase from 2020-2030? I suspect they will be perceived as even more generic, and even more dated, when we look back. Just my opinion.

Having said that, the screens themselves don't bother me too much (just a little). I'm less concerned about adding flat screens than I am about how well they program those screens. If they have some nice options for gauges (and I've seen that they do), fine, not a deal breaker. As long as the car is fun to drive, that's the main thing.

What bothers me more is the fact that, as far as I can tell, I need to go to a screen to do climate control (adjust fan speed, whatever). Probably at least three button presses to adjust which vents are used (floor, dash, windshield), versus just one press now with my Bronco (add some air to the windshield when it's humid, for example).
https://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/g...ery-image-8cd537f222efaf08954a8089337e1d94-ai

I also don't like the radio controls being on the right side of the steering wheel (same on the Cadillac).
https://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/g...ery-image-51d94ce4ce1b9d246ddb2e30d9c27fb2-ai
My right hand is for shifting. Also doesn't make sense to have volume controls in the center console and on the steering wheel ... both accessed with the same hand. My hand is already resting near the shifter, easier to reach to the dash to adjust volume then to bring it back to the steering wheel. Also makes more sense to have the cruise controls on the right, since if I'm going to set cruise control I wouldn't likely be doing any shifting in the near future.

I realize Ford doesn't care about details like this, they've never been that kind of company. Just fun to argue about.

5.0ALM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV4 Cruiser, S650 allocated, waiting...

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
It will end up being a fight between the driver and the passenger who has control of the screen if it is adopted into production.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
IMO: tacked on is easier to modify than tacked in.

the screen(s) - solely based upon my experience - are easier to see from the passenger side.
Sponsored