• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sub install on B&O without drilling new holes

Stangerous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium, 2020 Mustang GT Premium c
Hey guys, FWIW here’s what I did when I replaced the sub in the B&O system. If you want to use the factory screws and trim ring, carefully remove the trim ring. There are retainers on the left side of the mounting screw, I used a trim removal tool to pry up the trim and a flat head screwdriver to push in on the retainer, there are six of them. You may need a little heat to help remove the sub. Put the new sub in and align it as close as you can with the factory holes. Place the grille retainer ring over the sub and align it with the holes. Mark the sub on each side of the mounting tabs. Use snips to cut the lip of the sub. Flatten the lip between the areas you just cut. The retainer ring should now fit flush on the sub. Put the sub and ring back in, mark the areas again where the mounting screws will go and cut them out. I used snips and a pair of needle nose pliers to bend that piece back and forth until it came off. Now you can put the sub back in place and secure it to the enclosure with the factory retainer ring and screws. Your grille will now be able to be used. Don’t forget to use some type of foam tape, two sided tape on the face of the enclosure before final mounting. I drilled two holes in the back of the enclosure for my line converter and speaker leads, I did two holes so there would be no confusion on what set was going the line converter and which was coming back to the sub. Hope this helps those that want to retain the factory setup. I tried to post pics but images were too large, I'll get some more this evening and post.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Stangerous

Stangerous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same outcome, granted, I was just giving a different route where you didn’t have to drill new holes and could use the factory holes, retainer ring and screws. The factory mounting is far more secure than using sheet metal screws and drilling holes so close to the ones there and it keeps the speaker centered, not sitting off center.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Same outcome, granted, I was just giving a different route where you didn’t have to drill new holes and could use the factory holes, retainer ring and screws. The factory mounting is far more secure than using sheet metal screws and drilling holes so close to the ones there and it keeps the speaker centered, not sitting off center.
I did mine 5 years ago and it is still completely secure and is not off centre. Retained original grille etc as per S550 thread.

OP
OP
Stangerous

Stangerous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did mine 5 years ago and it is still completely secure and is not off centre. Retained original grille etc as per S550 thread.
Awesome

OP
OP
Stangerous

Stangerous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does your retainer ring sit flush to the enclosure or does it sit upon the lip of the subs frame? Just curious.

AlphaQueu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost Premium
Does anyone know how to add the oem subwoofer? I didn’t get the option but wish I did

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Does anyone know how to add the oem subwoofer? I didn’t get the option but wish I did
Don't waste your time as the OEM sub is rubbish. You may be able to find an oem enclosure from somewhere but realistically an aftermarket option is better.

AlphaQueu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost Premium
Don't waste your time as the OEM sub is rubbish. You may be able to find an oem enclosure from somewhere but realistically an aftermarket option is better.
Ok thank you I really appreciate it, do you know a good guide that I could follow? I’d like to do it myself if it’s not too hard, the new display is what scares me I really don’t want to break it somehow

OP
OP
Stangerous

Stangerous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok thank you I really appreciate it, do you know a good guide that I could follow? I’d like to do it myself if it’s not too hard, the new display is what scares me I really don’t want to break it somehow
To add a aftermarket sub you won’t touch the head unit. You can tap off your deck speakers for your line converter, which tells your amp to power up, you’ll need to run your power wire for your amp up to the battery. Run it down the passenger side. You can find a ground spot in the trunk area. Run RCA from converter to amp. Run your 12v+ and ground from amp to converter. Run speaker wires from amp to sub. You can mount the amp to the back of your back seat or build a deck in the spare tire well to hide everything. Pretty easy to do, just time consuming.

S650 Mustang Sub install on B&O without drilling new holes Attachment-1

AlphaQueu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost Premium
To add a aftermarket sub you won’t touch the head unit. You can tap off your deck speakers for your line converter, which tells your amp to power up, you’ll need to run your power wire for your amp up to the battery. Run it down the passenger side. You can find a ground spot in the trunk area. Run RCA from converter to amp. Run your 12v+ and ground from amp to converter. Run speaker wires from amp to sub. You can mount the amp to the back of your back seat or build a deck in the spare tire well to hide everything. Pretty easy to do, just time consuming.

Attachment-1.jpeg
Really appreciate you posting a pic, gonna do a little more research and try my luck. Yours looks great if mine turns out half as nice I’ll be happy.

OP
OP
Stangerous

Stangerous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You'll be fine, just take your time. If you're going to build a deck in the spare tire well, all you have to do is remove the insulation from the underside of the panel and use it as your pattern. Use spray glue to put it back. Cut you plywood 3/4" of an inch smaller because the spare tire area tapers down.

98jfuentes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 15
anybody here swapped the B&O Sub for a Pioneer? If so, has anybody noticed a difference? Swapping the speaker should be plug and play right (with minimal wiring)

OP
OP
Stangerous

Stangerous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
anybody here swapped the B&O Sub for a Pioneer? If so, has anybody noticed a difference? Swapping the speaker should be plug and play right (with minimal wiring)
You won’t get much of a difference without adding a amp
Sponsored