• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Shelbeast

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500 and MME-GT
If it's a Shelby, it will be very interesting how they cover up the bad spots. They did great with the 350, 500, and other SE's.
Sponsored

Shelbeast

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500 and MME-GT
It is Shelby American, what is interesting to me is that it looks like they are starting with a Dark Horse instead of a GT judging be the front end. N/A Shelby Dark Horse maybe?
Shelby Dark Snake.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Thanks. Thought that was a near-reveal of the Shelby. Hope they go all-in on make a great aesthetic as well as engine and suspension improvements.
We can hope. But until Shelby hires real engineers and designers again, I wouldn't be too optimistic. Not to sound too mean, but the fact that Shelby went from creating their own unique cars with tons of creativity and devolved into a tacky tuning shop annoys me.

ACR2011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang GT Premium w/PP (Sold)
Could this be the return of the Terminator Cobra from the sn95 Generation? Definitely will be keeping my eyes peeled on this đź‘€

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
We can hope. But until Shelby hires real engineers and designers again, I wouldn't be too optimistic. Not to sound too mean, but the fact that Shelby went from creating their own unique cars with tons of creativity and devolved into a tacky tuning shop annoys me.
I think I posted this same thought 5 years ago or something like that. I really do wish Shelby would embrace new things.
such a legendary company. Would love to see them act like s startup again and do exactly as you suggest. It doesn’t matter if the industry goes electric, hydrogen, gas, or a mix. It can always be improved.

for saleen and steeds to be beating Shelby in design snd engineering just seems strange considering Shelby’s heritage. Would be fantastic to see a modern aesthetic and honest to goodness engine and suspension engineering.

I think she’ll y would be quite surprised by the new found customer trust, sales increase, and critical acclaim they’d receive.
Recently, it’s been a lot of, “let’s make the new car more old looking and add some aftermarket parts.”

that time has come and gone as of 2010. Time to take some risks and reap the rewards.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
I think I posted this same thought 5 years ago or something like that. I really do wish Shelby would embrace new things.
such a legendary company. Would love to see them act like s startup again and do exactly as you suggest. It doesn’t matter if the industry goes electric, hydrogen, gas, or a mix. It can always be improved.

for saleen and steeds to be beating Shelby in design snd engineering just seems strange considering Shelby’s heritage. Would be fantastic to see a modern aesthetic and honest to goodness engine and suspension engineering.

I think she’ll y would be quite surprised by the new found customer trust, sales increase, and critical acclaim they’d receive.
Recently, it’s been a lot of, “let’s make the new car more old looking and add some aftermarket parts.”

that time has come and gone as of 2010. Time to take some risks and reap the rewards.
Well said, I'm surprised to see how often people get Shelby's approach to car building wrong. I've seen so many car fans who seem to think Shelby was this staunch conservative car builder who just put a v8 in everything because it was patriotic or something. In reality, he was an innovator who took the leap when it came to things like areo advancements or chassis tuning.

Camillo Pardo, head designer for the '05 gt talked about how Shelby was very excited about the future of more power dense, smaller displacement engines, hybrids, and even evs. He would have loved the newer gt supercar with it's Ecoboost V6 and insane areo. Yet you see people who pretend like he would have disliked it.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Well said, I'm surprised to see how often people get Shelby's approach to car building wrong. I've seen so many car fans who seem to think Shelby was this staunch conservative car builder who just put a v8 in everything because it was patriotic or something. In reality, he was an innovator who took the leap when it came to things like areo advancements or chassis tuning.

Camillo Pardo, head designer for the '05 gt talked about how Shelby was very excited about the future of more power dense, smaller displacement engines, hybrids, and even evs. He would have loved the newer gt supercar with it's Ecoboost V6 and insane areo. Yet you see people who pretend like he would have disliked it.
he would definitely have liked it. Basically a better modern cobra ethos. But I do think hee have built it around a turbo 8 cylinder. Not for patriotism, but because he liked to maximize potential.

when it came to engine advancements and playing with bodywork, suspension, and even praising Oldsmobiles aurora DOHC v8 engine for being such a clean engineering example, Shelby was a leading edge, pioneering sort. Even when it was someone else pioneering, he loved it. He wasn’t this Luddite stuck in 1968, refusing to move forward. He wanted his stuff to look modern and perform modern.

Shelby used to be consistent with pushing design forward and performance forward. It needs to be that way again. But it’s going to take making some hard decisions while they still can. Spend the money now and invest in talent. The rewards will come later.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
In any case, hopefully we are getting ahead of ourselves and Shelby has already made some big moves.
Interested to see what this car turns out to be.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Never fails that people conflate a Ford OEM'd Shelby (i.e. 2010-2014 GT500, 2015-2020 GT350, 2020-2023 GT500) with cars put out by Shelby American.

Shelby American is just a tuner shop loosely affiliated with Ford, much in the same vein as Roush or RTR.

jjw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PP2, 05 STI 475whp, 04 cayenne turbo, cobra roadsters, Shelby Mustangs
he would definitely have liked it. Basically a better modern cobra ethos. But I do think hee have built it around a turbo 8 cylinder. Not for patriotism, but because he liked to maximize potential.

when it came to engine advancements and playing with bodywork, suspension, and even praising Oldsmobiles aurora DOHC v8 engine for being such a clean engineering example, Shelby was a leading edge, pioneering sort. Even when it was someone else pioneering, he loved it. He wasn’t this Luddite stuck in 1968, refusing to move forward. He wanted his stuff to look modern and perform modern.

Shelby used to be consistent with pushing design forward and performance forward. It needs to be that way again. But it’s going to take making some hard decisions while they still can. Spend the money now and invest in talent. The rewards will come later.
I had brunch with CS not long before he died. Besides the surreal nature of him offering my his leftover fries and pickle, he talked about the Brits being on top of the carbon fiber game and the cool advancements in making monocoque tubs. He was definitely forward thinking.

jjw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Never fails that people conflate a Ford OEM'd Shelby (i.e. 2010-2014 GT500, 2015-2020 GT350, 2020-2023 GT500) with cars put out by Shelby American.

Shelby American is just a tuner shop loosely affiliated with Ford, much in the same vein as Roush or RTR.
Yup. The only thing "Shelby" about the factory Ford cars is the licensed name and graphics.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stuff With Wheels
Yup. The only thing "Shelby" about the factory Ford cars is the licensed name and graphics.
A lot of people seem to forget that Shelby American built the original Shelby Mustangs back in the '60s from garden variety fastbacks. To which the modern Ford-built Shelbys are essentially an homage.

Ando88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350, 2020 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
A lot of people seem to forget that Shelby American built the original Shelby Mustangs back in the '60s from garden variety fastbacks. To which the modern Ford-built Shelbys are essentially an homage.
The 2015-2020 GT350 / GT350R is probably the closest thing they have built to the original Shelby Mustang concept; a hardcore track car that is still streetable. And it was manual only. I sold my '20 ( with about 2K miles on it)last fall because someone made me "an offer I couldn't refuse". The check was nice, but I do have some seller's remorse. Hopefully I'll be spec-ing out a '24 GT in the near future.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
To be fair, they're much closer to "real" Shelby's than what the Vegas team produces, even if that's the company Shelby founded. In the sense that the ford team put's a serious amount of engineering and design work into their Shelby models. Whereas the stuff in Vegas is basically just. throw a supercharger, some tacky chrome wheels, and a hideous front bumper that looks like what Ram offers, and call it a day.

jjw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not quite. They built them from San Jose K-code fastbacks, which were the hottest factory mustang you could order. I have 2x 65 and one 66 "carryover" GT350 in my shop right now.
Sponsored