• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

So how do we think a stock car is going to hold up to the Whipple kit?

rockstar B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I'll be close to pulling the trigger on one of these after the first of the year, but I'm wondering about just basic longevity. I know any kind of modifications are going to negatively impact the life of various parts, but I'm I going to be shredding my clutch immediately? Can the MT-82 and rear end hold up without exploding? Any other known concerns with older S550s and kits like this? This is for a 100% street car.
Sponsored

JediMindTrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S650 GT 401A (NP, PP, MR, AE, 10R80)
When I went this route in the S550- Better struts, shocks, sway bars and half shafts were necessary. Many with the base MT-82 didn't fair long based on the 6G forum. The 10-Speed held up robustly it seemed. Many upgraded oil pump gears to accompany the SC.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
How stock is stock and how aggressive are we wanting to be?

OP
OP
rockstar B

rockstar B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Let's pretend we're installing it with no other modifications with no intended track use.

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
How it will do on a stock car depends on how you drive it. But unless you try to kill it I would say the 5.0L will handle just fine. There are tons of Whipple 5.0L stock engines doing just fine.

Mods will depend on what you want to do.

While no mods are necessary. I don't think I would ever install any form or FI on a car without some suspension mods.

I have never done oil pump gears and don't plan to on the Mustang. IMO not needed unless you are looking to run big power and rev the shit out of the car. But if they bring you piece of mind go for it.

LCDRChemEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BE DH Premium A10
I'll be close to pulling the trigger on one of these after the first of the year, but I'm wondering about just basic longevity. I know any kind of modifications are going to negatively impact the life of various parts, but I'm I going to be shredding my clutch immediately? Can the MT-82 and rear end hold up without exploding? Any other known concerns with older S550s and kits like this? This is for a 100% street car.
I heard stronger half shafts are a must

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
For an MT82 car being on bias plys is critical, you need the wrap and flex from the sidewall to absorb the shock.

Hoosier QTPs would help the trans, half shafts and clutch have a longer life, a sticky drag radial is just begging from problems and breakage.

Or.. be on a hard street tire and plan on spinning whenever you get on it, free spinning will help extend life too.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Let's pretend we're installing it with no other modifications with no intended track use.
I would potentially be tempted to review the warranty exclusions for hints as to the items ā€˜theyā€™ suspect would be problematic. Although for mostly show and the occasional (light) go I ā€˜thinkā€™ sheā€™ll hold up just fine.

JoesProGTO

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Pro Street 74 GTO, 2024 Mustang GT Premium Coupe
Iā€™ve been pondering and researching this exact question. First and foremost, if you drive aggressively your whole drivetrain is under much more stress with FI. If you plan on doing digsā€¦launching hard, then the half shafts and possibly driveshaft are at risk (ESPECIALLY with manual trans). Clutch and manual trans are also at greater risk doing digs. If you limit yourself to rolling sends, you have less to worry about. On street tires, you are far less likely to pop a half shaft under any conditions, sticky tires create more of a threat. I personally will seriously consider upgrading half shafts for peace of mind even tho I have the 10-speed and will run street tires. I also have a pro street car with 8-71 blown big block that Iā€™ve street driven for 26 years so Iā€™m no stranger to FI lol Tire spin is frustrating, annoying and destroys tires, but is a blessing for protecting the drivetrain.

S650 Mustang So how do we think a stock car is going to hold up to the Whipple kit? IMG_5913

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP, 2003 Cobra Yote Swapped, Braptor!
Here's Igor's 2024 dark horse with the 10 speed automatic. He's been beating on it pretty often and drove it down from NC to put it on PBD's dyno to see how it would do compared to our MT82 GT. His car is 100% stock other than the Whipple stage 2 kit and it was running on pump 93 with no octane booster.
Sponsored