• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

S650 vs. Cadillac CT6

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
A mustang shouldn't be AWD IMO... I wouldn't want one.
ditto Charger/Challenger but the V6 comes in AWD and they sell quite a few. AWD does some pretty great things in launches that no front/rear car can match.

I'm not saying we should want AWD in a Mustang as that "violates" the ethos, but with crashing sales numbers, it probably would bring some back into the fold, maybe also if they added a suicide door so getting in/out of the (laughable) back seat wasn't such an ordeal.

Maybe pair it up with the 4-banger as an option or the 2.7L twin-turbo, while the V8 remains RWD only.

Sacred cows taste delicious when slaughtered. Something the Indians miss out on...

unfairslide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
ditto Charger/Challenger but the V6 comes in AWD and they sell quite a few. AWD does some pretty great things in launches that no front/rear car can match.

I'm not saying we should want AWD in a Mustang as that "violates" the ethos, but with crashing sales numbers, it probably would bring some back into the fold, maybe also if they added a suicide door so getting in/out of the (laughable) back seat wasn't such an ordeal.

Maybe pair it up with the 4-banger as an option or the 2.7L twin-turbo, while the V8 remains RWD only.

Sacred cows taste delicious when slaughtered. Something the Indians miss out on...
Suicide doors would kill the body lines. Please don't give them any ideas 😂

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
With the new corvette E-ray coming out next year. I don’t know though. It’s just me thinking out loud.
Heard, I just don't see the S550/650 platform being suitable for an AWD variant. There are a lot of things working against it, namely weight and cost. The platform's already a middleweight, and it's nose-heavy, so adding additional weight--all up front mind you--in the form of a driveshaft, transfer case, front diff, front axles, etc., is the last thing it needs and the worst place to add it.

Cost would be another issue. It's already priced concerningly high.

AWD's only added use would be for all-weather practicality, and really that's for the people too lazy to bother putting on proper rubber.

I guess it's useful for magazine bragging rights... would probably chop the lesser part of a second off the 0-60 and 1/4, but outside of timed launches from a dig, it wouldn't add much to useful acceleration in the real world.

junqdawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018Mustang GT 5.0 10 speed
Yeah, I've heard various reviews with both transmissions. I've had a tremec in a couple of cars, (Camaro 2SS that I can recall off the top of my head) and I don't recall it being anything spectacular over others. It wasn't garbage, but it had its faults just like anything else. It certainly wasn't the holy truth like some people make it out to be.

FWIW - I rarely drive in stop/go traffic and my "fun" car is never my go-to daily driver. I have multiple vehicles, so the Mustang needs to be as fun as possible lol.

I debated on going with the 10 speed auto because of the MT82, but most true manual guys basically say there is no substitute. I've heard the paddle response is laggy and takes away from the experience. I wouldn't expect a Mustang to have a world class auto transmission anyway. I did spend a day in a new GT500, with the dual clutch, and that was a pretty impressive transmission overall. It was clunky at times but it shifts very quickly. I would still opt for a manual (obviously not an option in a GT500).
I Envy YOU !!! A whole day in a GT 500..!! What year was it ? What do you mean by "CLUNKY" at times, Looking to buy one of these {It's still in warranty} but I don't want a 6 figure headache to
deal with . I would appreciate more specifics if you have time to share them.
thanks....Junqdawg

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
AWD's only added use would be for all-weather practicality, and really that's for the people too lazy to bother putting on proper rubber.
That's really all it takes to drive RWD in snowy climates? The right winter-specific tire set? (I would imagine a light foot on the accelerator as well.)

mcky2011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 Premium 21 F150 XLT 3.5
That's really all it takes to drive RWD in snowy climates? The right winter-specific tire set? (I would imagine a light foot on the accelerator as well.)
I grew up in NJ and with rwd cars. My grandfather lived on top of Watchung mountain and it was always challenging to get to or from his house with snow on the ground.
I drove my 73 Nova up there in a storm one day to help him do something. He showed an hour late, (which he would never do) walking, his Dodge Ram 4x4 couldn't get up the hill. (open rear diff)
All I had going for me was a tight GM posi-traction, pretty sure I was running bias ply tires at the time as well because they were way cheaper than radials.
I can still hear him asking "how the hell did you get that thing up the hill"? I offered to help him go get the truck. He left it parked at this church at the bottom of the hill until the snow melted and then sold it.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
AWD only helps whenever throttle's involved, but your tires are dictating your ability to grip when turning and braking. An AWD with A/S tires would probably accelerate faster than even a RWD with snows, but it would struggle to brake and corner as well as any 2WD car with proper rubber.

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
AWD only helps whenever throttle's involved, but your tires are dictating your ability to grip when turning and braking. An AWD with A/S tires would probably accelerate faster than even a RWD with snows, but it would struggle to brake and corner as well as any 2WD car with proper rubber.
Interesting. Maybe there is hope for me in the future, should I decide to move up further north from where I am, and keep my Mustang---whether it's my current one (an EcoBoost) or what I'm trying to save up for two years from now (a GT).

Thank you for your insights.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
The joystick/multi function knob in the xt5 is very handy for touchscreen navigation (using the screen not ref to nav as in maps) without getting greasy smudges all over the screen.
Sponsored