• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I really don't think most of the general public will realize it's somewhat different from S550 - which makes the "it looks like a Camaro" comments all the more funny.
This for sure.

Like when we [enthusiasts] see a new 911, we might cream over the differences, but to the general population, they wonā€™t be able to spot a lick of difference.
Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429, Tesla Model 3
This is the most ridiculous thing Iā€™ve ever heard of. Did Ford decide to chop up the body in white? Because the roofline, rear fender, and C-pillar are integral parts of the chassis and are not simply swappable panels, so someone would have to explain the different roofline, hip, and up-kink at the base of the window. That would be hella-expensive on Fordā€™s end just to get some showroom models out there let alone on the scale of S650s weā€™ve seen in testing shots grouped together.

Which also leads me to doubt anything else he said about GT500 models.

Anyway, thanks for the shots dude. šŸ™
So......

The roofline has not changed for 24 (the body line was lowered 10-15mm), the quarter panel outer skin is what changed and is welded to the inner structure, c-pillar is part of the quarter panel.

It would absolutely be possible for a MY22-23 to be rebodied (or rather have 24 outer skins welded on during assembly) as a 24 and would be the quickest way to get car show vehicles out there. Whether or not that is what happened in this case, who knows...

Everyone here has to keep in mind, the MY24 vehicle represents a bare minimum effort by Ford to refresh the car so that it can continue to sell for a few more years. The core platform is still S550 (with some slight modifications). Whatever handling improvements Ford claims for the 24 comes from improved suspension components, not geometry, or fundamental changes to the platform.

We are not getting an all new car here people, we are getting a refreshed S550..... Think 2009 mustang to 2010 mustang.... Same platform, refreshed styling inside and out.

62Telecaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger Edge
Evolution over revolution lol. The more I see it, the more that I just don't know about the rear haunches/that flat and boxy "ledge" effect that they went for. It really does make it look awfully square and blocky back there; I dunno. I'm not a big spoiler guy, and these pics REALLY show how this car just begs to have that big ol' pedestal wing on it as a standard design focal point.

Last edited:

62Telecaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger Edge
So......

The roofline has not changed for 24 (the body line was lowered 10-15mm), the quarter panel outer skin is what changed and is welded to the inner structure, c-pillar is part of the quarter panel.

It would absolutely be possible for a MY22-23 to be rebodied (or rather have 24 outer skins welded on during assembly) as a 24 and would be the quickest way to get car show vehicles out there. Whether or not that is what happened in this case, who knows...

Everyone here has to keep in mind, the MY24 vehicle represents a bare minimum effort by Ford to refresh the car so that it can continue to sell for a few more years. The core platform is still S550 (with some slight modifications). Whatever handling improvements Ford claims for the 24 comes from improved suspension components, not geometry, or fundamental changes to the platform.

We are not getting an all new car here people, we are getting a refreshed S550..... Think 2009 mustang to 2010 mustang.... Same platform, refreshed styling inside and out.
I love you.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
So......

This isnā€™t news to anybody though?

What would you realistically expect them to do when: 1) the S550 was well received and 2) weā€™re one cough away from seeing ICE performance cars go bye-bye. Should they have gone all-in on a brand new platform built for an ICE powertrain? Should they have changed things up dramatically after a sales hit like the S550?

I donā€™t see the logic there. And this follows the same exact precedent set with the SN-95 to SN-95 New Edge and S197 to S197 MY10+, all evidenced by the shared rooflines and hard points.

My earlier comment was referencing the idea that it would be extremely resource-intensive to make bespoke re-tooling changes to existing 22s just for the demo 24 models weā€™ve see out here. You think Ford is welding on new skins and inserting new rear-quarter window glass on these pre-production 24s just to get them out to us earlier?

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429, Tesla Model 3
This isnā€™t news to anybody though?

What would you realistically expect them to do when: 1) the S550 was well received and 2) weā€™re one cough away from seeing ICE performance cars go bye-bye. Should they have gone all-in on a brand new platform built for an ICE powertrain? Should they have changed things up dramatically after a sales hit like the S550?

I donā€™t see the logic there. And this follows the same exact precedent set with the SN-95 to SN-95 New Edge and S197 to S197 MY10+, all evidenced by the shared rooflines and hard points.

My earlier comment was referencing the idea that it would be extremely resource-intensive to make bespoke re-tooling changes to existing 22s just for the demo 24 models weā€™ve see out here. You think Ford is welding on new skins and inserting new rear-quarter window glass on these pre-production 24s just to get them out to us earlier?
So how do you think they are making these cars? They need the tooling to make them as well no? My point is that the inner structure of a S550 is likely very similar if not identical to a 24 so it would be EASIER for ford to take a 23 to make a 24 for show as that would not require additional tooling that might not be finished yetā€¦..

Take a step back and cool down. Iā€™m just saying that itā€™s possible not that itā€™s happeningā€¦

In terms of the car, Ford could have taken the leap and made a forward thinking car (like dodge, that dodge platform can handle both BEV and ICE) rather than a minimum effort refresh that reuses parts and will likely be quite a bit more expensive then the previous model. A multi use platform that would be EV for the standard models and ICE for speciality models would have been the more forward thinking approach IMO.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
So how do you think they are making these cars? They need the tooling to make them as well no? My point is that the inner structure of a S550 is likely very similar if not identical to a 24 so it would be EASIER for ford to take a 23 to make a 24 for show as that would not require additional tooling that might not be finished yetā€¦..

Take a step back and cool down. Iā€™m just saying that itā€™s possible not that itā€™s happeningā€¦

In terms of the car, Ford could have taken the leap and made a forward thinking car (like dodge, that dodge platform can handle both BEV and ICE) rather than a minimum effort refresh that reuses parts and will likely be quite a bit more expensive then the previous model. A multi use platform that would be EV for the standard models and ICE for speciality models would have been the more forward thinking approach IMO.
Thereā€™s no heat to cool down, Iā€™m just asking pointed questions in rebuttal.

Again, theyā€™re following a precedent that shouldnā€™t surprise anyone familiar with the Mustangā€™s recent history. Weā€™ve only had three full-on redesigns in the past 20 years: the SN-95 in 1994, the S197 in 2005, and the S550 in 2015. These were all complimented by extensive overhauls with the New Edge in 2000, the S197 II for 2010, and now the S650 in 2024. Granted, the S197 II and S550 having facelifts in 2013 and 2018 added longevity to the platforms, but the formula is all the same.

Iā€™m not sure that it would be a wise business move for Ford to buck that trend in this current climate when the market is currently being flooded with other performance EVs, and when they still have a well-received chassis to work with. The fact that their competition is moving upmarket and focusing on PEV further reinforces their decision to stay traditional and affordable, especially when you consider the nameplateā€™s uniquely extensive, unbroken heritage versus said competition.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
He also said that the '24s going around are just MY22's with different body panels
I'll bet you all the bodywork pickup points (and frankly ever piece of structural metal) is EXACTLY 100% identical to MY18+. S650 just a sheetmetal operation. Only a slight step up from BNG (bold-new-graphics) that epitomizes motorcycle 'new' models.

I know it's "hip" to flaunt fat-asses as fashion models but do we have to do it to cars too? The rear haunches are now entirely oversized and out of proportion. And the car STILL comes with 8.5 or 9.5" wide wheels. If you're gonna give it 'hips for the pushin' then by god put 11" under it.

Last edited:

Evo1986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT - 55 years edition Kona Blue AT
I am probably one of the few (European) guys here who doesn't need to hold the judgement before seeing it live, because I already like it lol.

BUT I have to agree to some points, which are also disturbing me such as the front grill. Some may argue it is about cost saving, but if my upper part is in glossy black, the lower part needs to be alike as otherwise it just looks weird and not proportioned well.

I don't like to hood vent either. It just looks misplaced. Same as that rear wing. Well I guess everyone already mentioned that huge diffusor :D

I would change 1 or 2 things after market If I get one.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
especially when you consider the nameplateā€™s uniquely extensive, unbroken heritage versus said competition.
come on, there's like 5 people in the world who give a damn the Camaro has come and gone 2 or 3 times and ascribe to that some kind of black mark. One could easily make the case that the unbroken record of the Mustang was just pissing away money for no good reason despite the market not being there.

designatedrhythm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Ecoboost/Chevy Silverado 1500 RST
I really like the redesign. I really like the s550 as well. I feel like this refresh makes it look a little more mean while keeping the sleekness.

I wish the engine options had changed. All of the rumors of a hybrid V8 ect....would have made it a little more exciting.

I really want a c8 Corvette but I'm not in the financial situation to get that at this point in my life. Looks like either the mustang is the sports car for me at this point.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
I really want a c8 Corvette but I'm not in the financial situation to get that at this point in my life. Looks like either the mustang is the sports car for me at this point.
That's not a bad thing lol. The C8 is certainly impressive as hell, but it also comes with some compromises you don't have to make with a Mustang - one being overall comfort. Sitting in a C8, it's clear it's a track weapon, however, it was kind of a PIA in terms of city driving.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
really want a c8 Corvette but I'm not in the financial situation to get that at this point in my life. Looks like either the mustang is the sports car for me at this point.
I drove a C8 for 40 minutes thanks to CarMax - see if you can wrangle a 24hr rental. I'm decidedly not interested in the C8 anymore.
Sponsored