• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Rear fog lights

RaceRedder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse HP
I'm going to ship my Mustang to Europe and to have it on European plates I need to add rear fog lights to the vehicle.

The American/Canadian models do not have rear fog lights and I guess there aren't European S650's yet driving around in Europe.

On the S550 there is a conversion kit, to have the unit of your reverse light combined with the rear fog light.

For the Americans over here who never heard about rwar fog lights.

These are very very bright red lights (hurt your eyes) in the rear that you are only allowed to use when in heavy fog to prevent people who are driving behind you from crashing in your rear end.
Sponsored

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
So rear fog light is strange but front fog light is normal?
Yes, here in America, we drive forward, not backward.

With that logic, why do you have rear tail lights anyways? It doesn't help you for seeing better in the dark.
Rear tail lights brighten up when the driver presses on the brake pedal to indicate that they are changing speeds (slowing down/stopping). Rear fog lights don't change to indicate anything (like a rear tail light does), nor do you drive backwards (in fog) at a high rate of speed, so ... šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

TBH, most people only turn their fog lights on because they think they look cool. They do very little no matter which direction they are pointing.

If the fog was so dense that I could not drive without being able to see rear fog lights on a car in front of me, I would either slow down or not drive at all.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
ā€¦.

If the fog was so dense that I could not drive without being able to see rear fog lights on a car in front of me, I would either slow down or not drive at all.
at that point Iā€™m hoping iā€™m still on the roadā€¦

OP
OP

RaceRedder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse HP

Rear tail lights brighten up when the driver presses on the brake pedal to indicate that they are changing speeds (slowing down/stopping). Rear fog lights don't change to indicate anything (like a rear tail light does), nor do you drive backwards (in fog) at a high rate of speed, so ... šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

TBH, most people only turn their fog lights on because they think they look cool. They do very little no matter which direction they are pointing.

Why having lights to indicate you are changing speed?

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Back on topic, just as the U.S. has federally mandated laws for vehicles, Europe (not sure if the entire continent) vehicle regulations require that vehicles have rear fog lights.

OP
OP

RaceRedder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse HP
Back on topic, just as the U.S. has federally mandated laws for vehicles, Europe (not sure if the entire continent) vehicle regulations require that vehicles have rear fog lights.
Roadpilot does not know what the function is for a rear fog light.

He thinks fog lights are only there to make the driver see through fog and a rear fog light does not do anything for the driver.

He forgets about the fact that he is not the only person on the road. Just like blinkers are made to make others aware what you are doing.

A rear fog light is to be more visible in fog and heavy rain.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why having lights to indicate you are changing speed?
So the guy behind you doesn't run into you if you hit the brakes? I assume that's the same reason cars have rear tail lights in Europe. We're not talking rocket science here, regardless of whether we're using the standard or metric system to measure ... :)

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Roadpilot does not know what the function is for a rear fog light.
I'm most certainly fully aware of the purpose of your rear facing fog lights.

It was a joke. Do you not have those on the other side of the pond? :crackup:

YamenGT650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2024 PP
Relax palsā€¦ Focus on the original topic
Think you can hook up some sort of bright red led lightsā€¦ but wiring them is probably annoying.

S650 Mustang Rear fog lights IMG_5169

OP
OP

RaceRedder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse HP
Relax palsā€¦ Focus on the original topic
Think you can hook up some sort of bright red led lightsā€¦ but wiring them is probably annoying.

IMG_5169.jpeg
Yeah, I guess it needs to be wired because the European law says as followed:

- Rear fog light mandatory
- Rear fog light should only work when headlights are on and should go off when headlights are off.
- Fog light switch on the dash with a orange light on the switch to know that the fog lights are turned on.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr

- Rear fog light should only work when headlights are on and should go off when headlights are off.
- Fog light switch on the dash with a orange light on the switch to know that the fog lights are turned on.
I think as you initially indicated there is a thread over on 6g re switch and light and maybe even forscan but the question remains re compatibility with 7g.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/mustang-2017-us-to-eu-spec-rear-fog-light.117176/

YamenGT650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2024 PP

There you go:

{If (Car Location = Europe) Then
If (Headlight = On) Then
If (RearFogLightSwitch = On) Then
RearFogLight = On
DashIndicator = On
IndicatorColor = Orange
Else
RearFogLight = Off
DashIndicator = Off
Else
RearFogLight = Off
DashIndicator = Off
Else
RearFogLight = Off
DashIndicator = Off
End If}

OP
OP

RaceRedder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse HP
There you go:

{If (Car Location = Europe) Then
If (Headlight = On) Then
If (RearFogLightSwitch = On) Then
RearFogLight = On
DashIndicator = On
IndicatorColor = Orange
Else
RearFogLight = Off
DashIndicator = Off
Else
RearFogLight = Off
DashIndicator = Off
Else
RearFogLight = Off
DashIndicator = Off
End If}
This must be hard wired. Does it work with forescan?
Sponsored