• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Oil Separator-Good!

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Why not just disconnect those hoses from the vented crankcase to the intake and plug the ends? Will the ECU notice?
I pulled some threads on the debate of using a can versus venting.

Some owners will have unique applications with venting that does not involve the PCV valve and system. I'll set this category aside, as it often involves specific tuner/modder/part manufacturer recommendations.

For the rest of us, primarily street drivers, with occasional track or strip action, I'll break it into two examples.

1. Venting with no PCV system.

You've removed the PCV valve, capped the hose at the intake and the port in the valve cover. You've installed a filtered vent in the valve cover. This is one way to prevent any oil-based vapors from entering the intake system. But all the rest of the effects are negative.

- In states with emissions testing, it's an immediate fail

- I doubt any Ford dealer would see it in good light, especially if dealing with other engine-related matters

- Previously, there was negative pressure helping "suck" the rings onto the piston lands; that's gone

- Several parameters in with PCM/ECU could reach their upper ranges, with no adjustability left

- The venting filters have to be cleaned. Depending on conditions, oil may drip out and you might clean often

2. Catch Can with PCV system.

You've placed a catch can in-line with the PCV system.

- You'll have to occasionally remove the can, drain and re-install (5-10 minutes, once or twice a year)

- I get something of a window into the crankcase (see water, fuel contamination)

- Negative impacts listed in the previous paragraph don't exist

Option two, the catch can, seems like the path ahead, if concerned about oil-based vapors and the desire to keep them out of the intake
Sponsored

Last edited:

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Why not just disconnect those hoses from the vented crankcase to the intake and plug the ends? Will the ECU notice?
Bing bing bing. Winner winner chicken … oh well. Short answer … because and no not really well maybe a little bit on second thought …

Condensation will build fairly quick without any vent.