• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

New to The Dragstrip

YamenGT650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2024 PP
I went to the drag strip yesterday to get some time with my new Mustang. Unfortunately after arriving I discovered that the drag radials I brought with me were not 18" like I thought, but were 17" - and no way to get that on a car with the performance package rear Brembo brakes.

So ran with the street tires - PIrelli Pzero summer tires.

Like someone said, do not just hammer it from the light. All I got with that was a ton of wheel hop and a terrible 60' time.

Since it was a TNT with not many people there I didn't worry about my reaction time - I wanted to figure out what works first and focused on how I was staging with my car (automatic, 3.55 torsen rear end, performance package, magneride, and active exhaust). I set it to drag mode. I found that bringing the rpm up to around 1800 and letting go of the brake and rolling into the throttle gave me the best launch and time.

Now to sell my old Race Star Dark Star 17 x 9.5 wheels and get some 19" wheels and the Nitto 555R in 275 -40 x 19 size (so it matches the stock set up) and work on the 60'.
4-7-2024 pass.jpg
Did you Manually shift? Or let the AT do its thing in drag mode?

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT

YamenGT650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2024 PP
Let the automatic take care of it. Can't outshift the computer.
I noticed in a couple of online videos of 0-130 mph, that the computer tends to early shift in launching particularly at 2nd to 3rd gear at only 6520, where as 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 4th shifts at 7350.
I am yet to try it on mine once i finish break-in 1k miles. But i was wondering if you noticed that while launching yours in drag.

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I noticed in a couple of online videos of 0-130 mph, that the computer tends to early shift in launching particularly at 2nd to 3rd gear at only 6520, where as 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 4th shifts at 7350.
I am yet to try it on mine once i finish break-in 1k miles. But i was wondering if you noticed that while launching yours in drag.
I didn't notice any "short shifting". It wound up RPM pretty good and even broke the tires free on the shift a couple of times at the 1/8 mark. I'll have to watch the 2 - 3 shift next time to see though.

jamespmoran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150, 2020 Explorer ST, 2004 Thunderbird
When I lived out east I ran a 90 Fox Body with a 408. Ran 9.90’s at 135 in the quarter. Learn how the car reacts, what rpm should I launch at, how shallow or deep should I stage the car, when should I leave the starting line to have a good reaction time without red lighting. I tuned on my Fox Body to leave at 5200, shallow stage, and leave on the last yellow. I had a 2020 Explorer ST that I would take to the local strip on street night, launched at 2000 RPM, shallow stage, leave when the 2nd yellow went out. Won a lot of gamblers races this way. Practice, experiment practice, and most of all keep a log of each run. You will see a pattern emerge from your log book. Before I moved back to the Midwest I would go down periodically to the old Old Dominion in Manassas VA to tune and test. Delivered my 24GT convertible 11/09, our local track opens in May. Will be taking her down there and see what she will do.

junqdawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018Mustang GT 5.0 10 speed
When one one the major publications was testing either the S550 or S650 I remember they lowered the rear tires to 28 or 30 lbs and they increased the front tire pressure to 40 lbs to decrease rolling resistance.
For what it's worth , my guys at Ford Dealer race their Stangs seriously .. told me 24-26 in rear 19" Junk Pirelli's and 44-46 in front . Also avoid the "water-box" . You will have "some water" in the treads and when you takeoff ,it's "Spin-City " . Anyone tell me about the Nitro 555Rs 19" /Cost and are they just for strip or can you use on the street ? .{Average Lifespan ??? Thanks ...junqdawg

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
When I lived out east I ran a 90 Fox Body with a 408. Ran 9.90’s at 135 in the quarter. Learn how the car reacts, what rpm should I launch at, how shallow or deep should I stage the car, when should I leave the starting line to have a good reaction time without red lighting. I tuned on my Fox Body to leave at 5200, shallow stage, and leave on the last yellow. I had a 2020 Explorer ST that I would take to the local strip on street night, launched at 2000 RPM, shallow stage, leave when the 2nd yellow went out. Won a lot of gamblers races this way. Practice, experiment practice, and most of all keep a log of each run. You will see a pattern emerge from your log book. Before I moved back to the Midwest I would go down periodically to the old Old Dominion in Manassas VA to tune and test. Delivered my 24GT convertible 11/09, our local track opens in May. Will be taking her down there and see what she will do.
Kinda like winding a spring vs popping a cork

Rocket Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 2024 GT (soon)
Old Dominion Dragway? Eighth mile, right?
Spent many evenings there. Been gone for 10 years. There's houses there now.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Rocket Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 2024 GT (soon)
right....that's New Dominion Raceway. But they don't really have a dedicated drag strip, right? I think they run on the straightaway of the road course.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
right....that's New Dominion Raceway. But they don't really have a dedicated drag strip, right? I think they run on the straightaway of the road course.
Correct/something like that. Due to Mr man, epa, etc …

Last edited:

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4, 2024 Mustang GT Vert PP NP
Be careful out there guys. These cars weren't made for the dragstrip and can get away from you in a split second.
Sponsored