• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Mustang Hybrid PowerBoost?

Blueberrystang2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT manual
Question…I know y’all seen the new hybrid corvette which is an V8 and awd crazy fast vehicle. Ford obviously has this same technology as shown in the power boost f150. How would y’all feel if ford did that same thing which the mustang? I’m curious to know how y’all would feel about that .
Sponsored

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
At this point it’s too little too late… just show me a full EV coupe with 1100 tq like a plaid

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
Plaids just got a 21k PRICE CUT!

it’s the whole point of going electric… technological deflation… like computers, tv’s, phones…
9 second DDs for 40K for all.

Last edited:

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Here's an idea - put the electric motors on the 5.2 Voodoo and then put that in the engine bay, call it the Shelby GTE.

600-odd horsepower. I'd buy it.
I'm certifiably insane, so I say, why not use the predator instead? You could get close to 1,000 hp with an AWD setup and crazy areo. Make it happen ford.

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
Go ask maverick owners how their hybrids are doing. Fords been struggling with a few common issues. The most common one leaves you stranded. When they work, they’re fantastic. People are getting 55 mpgs in that thing. A few hybrid owners are getting some miles on them now, which is encouraging.
TLDR: wouldn’t touch one until the third more year of production.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I used to really like the idea of a V8 hybrid awd mustang but the more I think about it the less I like it. I don’t think our cars platform is made for this on the other hand the C8 works perfect because of the midengine design. An issue I see with S650 is the fact that electric motors would add more weight to the front which to me feels like it would throw off the cars handling maybe you could offset that extra weight by throwing the battery in the back but then you’re still significantly increasing weight, though the weight in the back may add traction. For context the powerboost f150 is 1000 lbs heavier than a regular 3.5. Another consideration is where do you throw in the battery pack? Anywhere near the middle or the back and you now have to deal with the heat from the exhaust which runs down the whole car.

I think midengine is going to be the best for hybrid V8 applications. No driveshaft or exhaust running the length of the car saves weight and allows for more space for the battery. It also keeps the two power trains separate enough to not have one causing heat issues with the other and better weight distribution.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Go ask maverick owners how their hybrids are doing. Fords been struggling with a few common issues. The most common one leaves you stranded. When they work, they’re fantastic. People are getting 55 mpgs in that thing. A few hybrid owners are getting some miles on them now, which is encouraging.
TLDR: wouldn’t touch one until the third more year of production.
Considering the fact that there's a Maverick hybrid sitting in my garage right now, and I've extensively researched these vehicles, I feel as though I'm the authority on this topic.

The maverick hybrid is an extremely reliable vehicle. The 2.5 hybrid system it uses has been on sale for about 15 years, and is wildly considered to be one of the most reliable engines on sale. Virtually guaranteed to last 15 years or more on all original powertrain components for most owners. It puts the crown Vic to shame in terms to longevity according to several taxi companies who've used crown vics and escape hybrids.

There was an issue with the normal 12 volt batteries on mavericks dying suddenly. This was really the only issue that maverick hybrid owners have experienced. It was discovered that this was caused by issues with the wiring harness being improperly installed at the factory.

This issue only impact trucks built in, or before May, about 5 months after production started. All sources indicate the fixes ford introduced worked, as it's no longer an issue for newer hybrids like ours, and older hybrid's can be retrofitted with this fix at any ford dealership.

Overall, the maverick looks very promising. Mazda is one of the most reliable Japanese car brands, this engine was introduced back when ford owned Mazda and is considered to be Mazda's most reliable engine by many. It's also built in a factory known for producing reliable and well made vehicles.

Quality defects sadly happen to every vehicle. But the issues the maverick has dealt with have been very mild all things considered. If I had dropped 80k on a new Tundra, it would be in the shop with engine issues right now.

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
I’m very glad to hear that 12V system issue seems to have been remedied. That was essentially what held me out probably 8 months ago. My neighbor has an Area 51 mav and it’s so nice.

Considering the fact that there's a Maverick hybrid sitting in my garage right now, and I've extensively researched these vehicles, I feel as though I'm the authority on this topic.

The maverick hybrid is an extremely reliable vehicle. The 2.5 hybrid system it uses has been on sale for about 15 years, and is wildly considered to be one of the most reliable engines on sale. Virtually guaranteed to last 15 years or more on all original powertrain components for most owners. It puts the crown Vic to shame in terms to longevity according to several taxi companies who've used crown vics and escape hybrids.

There was an issue with the normal 12 volt batteries on mavericks dying suddenly. This was really the only issue that maverick hybrid owners have experienced. It was discovered that this was caused by issues with the wiring harness being improperly installed at the factory.

This issue only impact trucks built in, or before May, about 5 months after production started. All sources indicate the fixes ford introduced worked, as it's no longer an issue for newer hybrids like ours, and older hybrid's can be retrofitted with this fix at any ford dealership.

Overall, the maverick looks very promising. Mazda is one of the most reliable Japanese car brands, this engine was introduced back when ford owned Mazda and is considered to be Mazda's most reliable engine by many. It's also built in a factory known for producing reliable and well made vehicles.

Quality defects sadly happen to every vehicle. But the issues the maverick has dealt with have been very mild all things considered. If I had dropped 80k on a new Tundra, it would be in the shop with engine issues right now.

OP
OP
Blueberrystang2000

Blueberrystang2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT manual
I used to really like the idea of a V8 hybrid awd mustang but the more I think about it the less I like it. I don’t think our cars platform is made for this on the other hand the C8 works perfect because of the midengine design. An issue I see with S650 is the fact that electric motors would add more weight to the front which to me feels like it would throw off the cars handling maybe you could offset that extra weight by throwing the battery in the back but then you’re still significantly increasing weight, though the weight in the back may add traction. For context the powerboost f150 is 1000 lbs heavier than a regular 3.5. Another consideration is where do you throw in the battery pack? Anywhere near the middle or the back and you now have to deal with the heat from the exhaust which runs down the whole car.

I think midengine is going to be the best for hybrid V8 applications. No driveshaft or exhaust running the length of the car saves weight and allows for more space for the battery. It also keeps the two power trains separate enough to not have one causing heat issues with the other and better weight distribution.
Well considering the fact that mid engine would be the best next move for ford I wish that considered this . I really like Lotus new mid engine car under 100k I mean I think Ford building a platform like that would be an amazing next step but I’m just imagining lol
Sponsored