• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Mustang GT vs Civic Type R

FlyNavy86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Gold Camry
I’ve been dead set on a CTR, but have really been turned off by dealers and BS markups.

I’ve recently watched the new mustang reviews and really like the looks, and I’d prefer RWD and V8 over FWD turbo.

My plans for the CTR was being a fun car that I could drive my 2 kids (7&9) in if needed. Also would like to autocross and do track days with little prep. (Id get the PP for the GT)

Obviously I’ll be losing a lot of practicality with the Mustang, but how much? For you Mustang owners with kids, how’s it work for you? Can you fit 4 wheels in track days?

Outside of that, both cars seem like a ton of fun. The CTR is light with amazing handling, the Mustang heavier with a ton of power. Both seem to be around the same price. Hopefully no major markups on the mustang!
Sponsored

RJV15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
Thats in interesting cross-shop. I have a 22 Si and moving onto a 24 GT.
My Si shares some of the CTR parts and the platform handles really well.
My main concern with the GT is having to drive way differently. I've had JDM cars mostly, and they are so nimble and decently quick. You really do have to wring them out to get speed tho.

As I got older, the idea of revving my Honda to redline to pick up speed during normal everyday driving just isn't cutting it. The previous CTR had major "boy racer" vibes and while I like the more refined styling of the new CTR, I don't think I want to keep driving highly boosted small displacement engines that attract attention for the wrong reasons.

With that being said, the new CTR is marked up to hell!
There are dealerships with 3-4 CTRs sitting in lots because they have a 15K markup.
I initially bought my Si waiting for a CTR to be available, that clearly is not going to happen.

As for seating 2 kids in a Mustang, that might work because your kids are young enough, but they'll get more and more uncomfortable as they grow.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
The back seats to a Mustang are no better than a Porsche 911. I am 5'10" and I cant fit in the back of the car. I have to stoop as my head is against the back window. The back seats are only meant for very small children.

Apeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Ford Mustang Factory 260 V8 3sp, Caspian Blue
I’ve been dead set on a CTR, but have really been turned off by dealers and BS markups.

I’ve recently watched the new mustang reviews and really like the looks, and I’d prefer RWD and V8 over FWD turbo.

My plans for the CTR was being a fun car that I could drive my 2 kids (7&9) in if needed. Also would like to autocross and do track days with little prep. (Id get the PP for the GT)

Obviously I’ll be losing a lot of practicality with the Mustang, but how much? For you Mustang owners with kids, how’s it work for you? Can you fit 4 wheels in track days?

Outside of that, both cars seem like a ton of fun. The CTR is light with amazing handling, the Mustang heavier with a ton of power. Both seem to be around the same price. Hopefully no major markups on the mustang!
I was heavily considering the new CTR as well, but ended up on the Mustang for a few reasons:

1. I just love the Mustang. I'm a huge fan, always have been. But that doesn't really apply here.
2. The engine sounds way better. A V8 will always sound better.
3. The interior feels more roomy. Can't speak for the back seat, but I feel a lot more comfortable as an overweight American male in the Mustang vs the Honda.
4. The Honda doesn't have heated or cooled seats (Integra type S has heated i believe)
5. Parts are going to be cheaper. Imports always have more expensive parts, both stock and aftermarket

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
The Civic loses in basically every performance category while still being $50k without any of the features I would call standard in a car at that price.
No leather, no advanced safety features, no heated/cooled seats. Sure there's back seats but has anyone sat in the back of a compact sedan recently? Civic has more trunk space but the car would be so much more attractive if it was a 2 door.
The big kicker is the sound though. 4 banger turbo with pumped in engine noise is two thumbs down for me.
I had a VW GTI that I drove the snot out of. Easy to go "all out" on the streets and tear things up, relatively speaking. Then I got a Z06 Vette (which probably isn't a fair comparison lol) and I would never go back. Just turning the car on and hearing it is reason enough to go Mustang IMO.

gearhead350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197 (sold)
The Acura dealer closest to me is selling his Integra Type S at MSRP. I’m thinking I’m going to pick it up tomorrow. My S650 was built 2 months ago & still sitting. I sold my DD a few weeks ago. I like the CTR/type s for the back seat & large trunk. Also don’t have to worry too much if caught in rain or very light snow. CTR/type s trans/shifter is much more satisfying to drive than the MT-82

Rio Lobo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
The Civic loses in basically every performance category while still being $50k without any of the features I would call standard in a car at that price.
No leather, no advanced safety features, no heated/cooled seats. Sure there's back seats but has anyone sat in the back of a compact sedan recently? Civic has more trunk space but the car would be so much more attractive if it was a 2 door.
The big kicker is the sound though. 4 banger turbo with pumped in engine noise is two thumbs down for me.
I had a VW GTI that I drove the snot out of. Easy to go "all out" on the streets and tear things up, relatively speaking. Then I got a Z06 Vette (which probably isn't a fair comparison lol) and I would never go back. Just turning the car on and hearing it is reason enough to go Mustang IMO.
The back seats in a civic are very usable for adults. The car is extremely practical and a different kind of fun.

The Mustang should be treated as a 2 seater, unless your kid(s) won't be getting any bigger. Then no worries about fitting them in the back

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
The back seats in a civic are very usable for adults. The car is extremely practical and a different kind of fun.

The Mustang should be treated as a 2 seater, unless your kid(s) won't be getting any bigger. Then no worries about fitting them in the back
A F150 has a "very useable" seats for adults. A civic has literally the smallest possible seats in the rear considering it is Honda's compact sedan. When I get to ride in the back of my coworker's Accord, I'm glad it's only 10 minutes to get to lunch.

Rio Lobo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
A F150 has a "very useable" seats for adults. A civic has literally the smallest possible seats in the rear considering it is Honda's compact sedan. When I get to ride in the back of my coworker's Accord, I'm glad it's only 10 minutes to get to lunch.
very true, but we're comparing the civic to the mustang

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
MustangCivic Type R
Rear Leg Room (in.)2937.4
Rear Head Room (in.)34.837.1
Total Passenger Vol. (ft^3)82.899

Civic gets ~8 in. more legroom which is about 25% more than the mustang. This only translate to about 20% more space in the cabin. Both are tiny in the rear and anybody in the back is gonna want out after 15 mins.

Sources: C&D Mustang C&D CTR

Rio Lobo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
MustangCivic Type R
Rear Leg Room (in.)2937.4
Rear Head Room (in.)34.837.1
Total Passenger Vol. (ft^3)82.899

Civic gets ~8 in. more legroom which is about 25% more than the mustang. This only translate to about 20% more space in the cabin. Both are tiny in the rear and anybody in the back is gonna want out after 15 mins.

Sources: C&D Mustang C&D CTR
You know, the funny part is that the civic is larger than ever. I think we've just gotten used to being in larger and larger vehicles. We used to cram 5 people in an extended cab ranger and had a party. Now the ranger is midsized and the maverick is what the ranger used to be (except for that whole unibody thing)
Sponsored