• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Missing fender insert/plug on passenger side door fender gap

unk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Apologies if the title is confusing or if this topic has already been discussed, but I just happened to notice this when cleaning out the interior.

This may just be on the EcoBoost, but I noticed on the right side of the car by the front fender/wheel well, there appears to be a missing insert that blocks dirt from entering into the gap there. Attached are photos of the driver's side, which appears to have a gray insert, and the passenger side, which has it missing with a bunch of dirt/sand being allowed to enter. I wanted to confirm here if this was intentional, or if I should reach out to Ford to get this fixed.

If intentional, seems like a pretty big oversight, only thought would be that its sound dampening for the driver side?
S650 Mustang Missing fender insert/plug on passenger side door fender gap 20240506_195159
S650 Mustang Missing fender insert/plug on passenger side door fender gap 20240506_195508
Sponsored

Last edited:

JAM486HP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
I have a GT Premium, besides the obvious wheel well opening there are countless "oversights" on mine. Just hose the car down for a wash or after a heavy drive in the rain. Open the hood, doors, trunk and see how many areas where condensation sits, un ventilated areas, waiting to do it's thing.

Not saying any of this is intentional, just the world we live in, almost everything mass produced anymore is disposable by design. Keeps the economy cooking. Good for shareholders (guilty) bad for consumers.

I love my GT, I am just more thorough when washing and drying my car. I love this car for what it is and ignore what it is not. When I find an oversight, I innovate to correct it. I am too old to nit pick the dealer over everything cosmetic flaw (there is a lot) and just drive the hell out of this thing while life is good.

OP
OP

unk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a GT Premium, besides the obvious wheel well opening there are countless "oversights" on mine. Just hose the car down for a wash or after a heavy drive in the rain. Open the hood, doors, trunk and see how many areas where condensation sits, un ventilated areas, waiting to do it's thing.

Not saying any of this is intentional, just the world we live in, almost everything mass produced anymore is disposable by design. Keeps the economy cooking. Good for shareholders (guilty) bad for consumers.

I love my GT, I am just more thorough when washing and drying my car. I love this car for what it is and ignore what it is not. When I find an oversight, I innovate to correct it. I am too old to nit pick the dealer over everything cosmetic flaw (there is a lot) and just drive the hell out of this thing while life is good.
I tend to agree, definitely not trying to get free immediate resolutions for every minor thing i noticed (like some panel alignment issues on front fascia/hood, 2 inch section of paint scratched off exposed plastic by trunk release although that may be something I try to remedy, etc), but rather something that seems like an actual mistake by the factory if it was supposed to be there.

But in the meantime Im definitely taking precautions to minimize potential long term damage that dirt and rock buildup might cause there. Its unfortunately in an awkward spot where I dont think Id have the skill to create a solution without doing more harm than good, so hopefully this is something that can be fixed.

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
i think i have this thing both side.
But i noticed a different thing. At my trunk 2 hole covered with a sticker. I think it must be open to drain but they are covered.

upload didnt work so i put a link
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9uKNJ3apiyUut3vY6
Not sure the purpose of the stickers but my 2011 has them. I don't believe they hurt anything by leaving them in place.

JAM486HP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
I tend to agree, definitely not trying to get free immediate resolutions for every minor thing i noticed (like some panel alignment issues on front fascia/hood, 2 inch section of paint scratched off exposed plastic by trunk release although that may be something I try to remedy, etc), but rather something that seems like an actual mistake by the factory if it was supposed to be there.

But in the meantime Im definitely taking precautions to minimize potential long term damage that dirt and rock buildup might cause there. Its unfortunately in an awkward spot where I dont think Id have the skill to create a solution without doing more harm than good, so hopefully this is something that can be fixed.
I completely understand, comes down to what you can live with. Mine has a 2" blemish under the clear coat on the black spoiler, the front fascia looks like the paint wasn't 'sprayed heavy enough or they were running out of paint, doesn't match the hood completely. A lot of the plastic trim has scuff marks, plenty of points on the interior where plastic sections, rub or touch creating a lot of road noise. Massive gap in the wheel well allowing full sized rocks to get into the panel. The B&O sound system is laughingly bad considering. I don't know who should be more embarrassed, B&O or Ford.

There are probably a lot more I could dig in and rattle off if I wanted. Like I said, I'm old and seen quality of everything go to shit, so none of this comes as a surprise on a new car, especially at this price point. I know $50K is a lot of money, though not really when you see what some of these trucks and SUV's are going for, Mustang was a bargain IMO. I just get in, fire up that luscious roar of a V8 Coyote, and thank God I am fortunate to own it and enough to enjoy it.

OP
OP

unk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If anyone has a chance to check the side passenger door hinge area to check if they have the insert I'd appreciate it!

Kabayo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang
Apologies if the title is confusing or if this topic has already been discussed, but I just happened to notice this when cleaning out the interior.

This may just be on the EcoBoost, but I noticed on the right side of the car by the front fender/wheel well, there appears to be a missing insert that blocks dirt from entering into the gap there. Attached are photos of the driver's side, which appears to have a gray insert, and the passenger side, which has it missing with a bunch of dirt/sand being allowed to enter. I wanted to confirm here if this was intentional, or if I should reach out to Ford to get this fixed.

If intentional, seems like a pretty big oversight, only thought would be that its sound dampening for the driver side? View attachment 578913 View attachment 578914
Those fender inserts should be on both sides to cut down tire road noise. I removed both of mine to prevent dirt/ice from accumulating on the tire side of the liner. I just hose it out occasionally to keep it clean. My concern was any build up when they were there could cause rust on the inner fender area engine side, not the fenders themselves as they are aluminum.

jimgt2k24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 silver GT 401A, auto, act exh, perf pkg, nite
S650 fenders are not aluminum. The hood is.

Those fender inserts should be on both sides to cut down tire road noise. I removed both of mine to prevent dirt/ice from accumulating on the tire side of the liner. I just hose it out occasionally to keep it clean. My concern was any build up when they were there could cause rust on the inner fender area engine side, not the fenders themselves as they are aluminum.

RaceRedder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse HP
Can somebody circle the thing he tries to show us? I can't see what he is talking about. Tried to compare both pictures but can't see any differentlce or where to look at exactly.

OP
OP

unk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can somebody circle the thing he tries to show us? I can't see what he is talking about. Tried to compare both pictures but can't see any differentlce or where to look at exactly.
Just updated the main post with circles, sorry they might be a little sloppy. Basically if you are looking at your own car, if you open up either door and look at the hinge attaching it to the body, right behind it appears to be a gray insert that fits right in behind the hinge into the inside of the fender/wheel well. You can see in one of the photos its grey, thats the insert. The otherside is dark because theres nothing there.

TripleshotMcC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium Convertible
Mine has it on both sides. I will leave them in as I am not worried about moisture, I live in Palm Desert.

jimbo67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Matter, PP, NPP
They are called insulators; they are supposed to be there.

Insulators on car fenders serve different purposes depending on their type. Let’s explore a couple of scenarios:
  1. Sound and Heat Insulation:
    • Heat and sound insulation materialsare commonly used in vehicles to improve comfort and reduce noise levels. These insulators help in several ways:
      • Heat Control: They protect the interior from excessive heat generated by the engine, exhaust, or other components. For example, Thermo Tec Suppressor Acoustical and Heat Control Mat is a dense polyethylene film that can be applied to most surfaces to absorb noise and vibration. Its reflective foil surface also shields against radiant heat up to 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit 1.
      • Noise Reduction: Insulators dampen vibrations and reduce road noise, making the cabin quieter and more pleasant for passengers.
    • Proper installation involves cleaning the surfaces thoroughly before attaching the material using its adhesive backing. This ensures that the insulation remains securely in place over time 1.
  2. Inner Fender Liners:
In summary, insulators on car fenders contribute to comfort, noise reduction, and protection against heat and contaminants. Whether it’s for insulation or inner fender liners, these components play a crucial role in maintaining a pleasant driving experience. 🚗🔊🔥123
Sponsored