• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Mileage on a new car

B14ckB3rd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2024 Ecoboost
I recently got a mustang ecoboost hpp and drove for around 40 miles. the mileage I got was 13MPG. So is it normal for a new mustang to have low mileage during break in period or should I contact the dealership regarding this. Can anyone share any insights on break in period as this is my first car.
Sponsored

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
I have been playing with that as well. You can configure an instantaneous economy gauge on the dash to see where you're burning fuel. I have the Dark Horse and my first tank was a little over 14 miles/gallon. I can push the milage up by taking slow starts and maintaining a constant speed. The use the cruse control for short distances like a mile or two can push the indicator up to 30 miles /gallon. I am only on my second tank so I don't know just what tame driving will gain but if you have a lead foot, you will pay for it at the pump. My big problem is I live 3 miles from work and there are several stops along the way. Not good conditions for great milage.
Something I saw and can't remember were, it said at least some Ecoboost really needed 93 octane to get good milage. If you can't figure out where the problem is, you might try 91 or 93 octane and see if it makes a difference.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
The MPG will get better as the motor breaks in some.

What octane are you using?

Regardless, unless you are WOT a lot, 13mph from a EB is dismal.

Mustang6924

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mustang Coupe GT, 2024 Mustang GT Premium
I have gt and I've been getting around 9.8 L/100km which is around 24 mpg. I've been constantly getting around 550km (342 miles) on 91 octane.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
After taking receipt, did you reset the trip/mileage info with a full tank, to start a new baseline? Or is some of the previous information still in the system? During transport and checkout, the car was doing a lot of starting, stopping and idling.

Last edited:

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
Our first drive in the Mustang was driving across the state of Florida from Tampa to Melbourne. Averaged 26.2 mpg according to the cars computer

OP
OP

B14ckB3rd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2024 Ecoboost
The MPG will get better as the motor breaks in some.

What octane are you using?

Regardless, unless you are WOT a lot, 13mph from a EB is dismal.
I am still in the first tank and it was filled by the dealership. They said it is octane 93.

But I see my mileage is increasing slowly. After driving for 100 miles it reached to 16MPG.

OP
OP

B14ckB3rd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2024 Ecoboost
After taking receipt, did you reset the trip/mileage info with a full tank, to start a new baseline? Or is some of the previous information still in the system? During transport and checkout, the car was doing a lot of starting, stopping and idling.
That I didn't do but it make sense. after I empty the tank I will reset it. Thanks.

Basitbulusi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Congrats on the new Mustang Ecoboost HPP! It's totally normal for mileage to vary during the break-in period. Typically, new cars tend to have lower fuel efficiency until they're fully broken in. I'd recommend giving it a bit more time and miles before reaching out to the dealership. As for break-in tips, take it easy on the throttle and avoid constant high speeds for the first few hundred miles. It allows the engine components to settle in properly. If you're still concerned, a quick call to the dealership wouldn't hurt, just for peace of mind. And hey, if you ever need to ship your Mustang cross-country for any reason, I recently came across A-1 Auto Transport, they seem pretty reliable.

Last edited:

The Wizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Mustang; 16 F-150
I might also recommend computing your mpg the old fashioned way, between full tank fillups while burning at least a half tank in between.
Compare that number to what the trip computer says...

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited
I recently got a mustang Ecoboost Boost HPP and drove for around 40 miles. the mileage I got was 13MPG. So is it normal for a new mustang to have low mileage during break in period or should I contact the dealership regarding this. Can anyone share any insights on break in period as this is my first car.
You have the 330 horse ECO-Boost High Performance.
You need to use 91or higher. No 87 octane.
Here in Colorado we get 91 octane.
I canā€™t find any higher that Iā€™m aware of.
As far as mileage goes you need put 4000 miles on it before you notice anything steady.
Have fun and keep your foot out of it if you want good mileage.
I test drove a HPP Ecoboost and you can light up the tires very quickly..

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
You have the 330 horse ECO-Boost High Performance.
You need to use 91or higher. No 87 octane.
Here in Colorado we get 91 octane.
I canā€™t find any higher that Iā€™m aware of.
As far as mileage goes you need put 4000 miles on it before you notice anything steady.
Have fun and keep your foot out of it if you want good mileage.
I test drove a HPP Ecoboost and you can light up the tires very quickly..
Boostane can fill the gap.

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Boostane can fill the gap.
Here's the question though... is it cost effective versus just getting 91/93 Octane to begin with? šŸ¤”

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Here's the question though... is it cost effective versus just getting 91/93 Octane to begin with? šŸ¤”
I was saying @IFFV68 can use it because they only get 91 there.

I would typically only use it if I didn't have 93 available at the pump, but you'd have to do the math: Price difference between 87 and 93 and including how much it costs you in Boostane to increase it to where you want it.

We have Top Tier 93 @ Costco here in my area, so I'm golden until I add FI.

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I was saying @IFFV68 can use it because they only get 91 there.

I would typically only use it if I didn't have 93 available at the pump, but you'd have to do the math: Price difference between 87 and 93 and including how much it costs you in Boostane to increase it to where you want it.

We have Top Tier 93 @ Costco here in my area, so I'm golden until I add FI.
I know. I'm just being lazy šŸ˜‚
Sponsored