• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Mach-1/Dark Horse Front Wheel Lip Mold Fender Flares

JediMindTrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S650 GT 401A (NP, PP, MR, AE, 10R80)

FroYo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I need to check but looks like those will be bolt on there are some clips right on the edge of lining and panel, in a wheel arch, and those looks exactly like holes pattern on DH fender flares, i assume there would be like pull clips, insert flares, push clips... but I need to find DH to make sure. or ask someone to provide photos of those flares and how they attached

JoseG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse Non-HP
Check the references below, but I am looking to understand if anyone has experience or know how in to installing the front mach-1/dark horse fender flares on a PP GT (S550 or S650)? Sounds like some modifications are needed in order to make it work. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Mustang 2021-2023 Black Wheel Lip Molding for Front Wheel Openings Only | FordUSAccessories

Ford VMR3Z-16268-A Mustang Mach-1 Front Fender Flares (21-22) (steeda.com)
So I am in the same boat as you since Ford doesn’t offer the OEM S650 flares just yet. I have a Dark Horse non-HP and bought the S550 Mach 1 flares assuming they’d fit since the mounting holes look similar. However, they do not align. That being said, they can be made to work on the S650 by drilling a few extra mounting holes into the fender liner near the front bumper while still using OEM plastic pushpin fasteners (provided in the Mach1 kit). The rear mounting tab will need to be re-molded slightly to conform to the curvature of the fender opening and can be done with a heat gun. I’ll be doing all this on my dark horse and can report back with any issues but after some mocking up, it should be pretty straightforward.

Race Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse - non HP
Great, please keep us posted. I did the same as you, but I returned the Mach 1 lip molding once I saw it wasn't a perfect match. I did find out the correct part #'s if anyone is interested:
PR3Z 16268A - lists for $1,100 at dealer, and
PR3Z 16268B - lists for $449 at dealer

I should be receiving the custom MRR wheels anyday now (ordered 7 weeks ago), and will be running 305/315 PS4S, and now realizing I can't mount them up until I can get the molding figured out.

JoseG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse Non-HP
Here’s the mockup I did on the drivers side of my DH with the Mach1 flares. Never mind the shiny bits of hardware as they were just what I had laying around at the moment; OEM pushpin fasteners will be used here as well. Everything fits snug and I’d say it’s like a 90 percent solution until Ford brings the price down of the OEM ones; my dealership hit me with those crazy prices as well. I say 90 percent because the front part of the flare doesn’t fully reach the splitter like the DH one does. The Mach1 has this sort of upwards slash cut design whereas the DH one continues down a few more inches to meet the splitter. I’ve circled that in red. Same in the rear. The tail of the flare is supposed to end near where the side skirt begins but this two is about 2 inches too shy. All in all, these minor differences to me aren’t all that noticeable and are a decent interim solution until the DH flares drop.
S650 Mustang Mach-1/Dark Horse Front Wheel Lip Mold Fender Flares IMG_0817
S650 Mustang Mach-1/Dark Horse Front Wheel Lip Mold Fender Flares IMG_0818
S650 Mustang Mach-1/Dark Horse Front Wheel Lip Mold Fender Flares IMG_0819
S650 Mustang Mach-1/Dark Horse Front Wheel Lip Mold Fender Flares IMG_0820
S650 Mustang Mach-1/Dark Horse Front Wheel Lip Mold Fender Flares IMG_0821

1mustangfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 mustang gt
Do we know if the mach 1 fender flares are the same width of "poke" as the dark horse ones?

Race Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse - non HP
I’m not sure, I held them up (fhe Mach 1 wheel lip molding) inside my fender well and they appeared to be plenty wide enough to handle the 305s I’m about to put on there. I’m having to put the LS1 add-ons on the car for now until I can get the OEM lip moldings, I hope those add-ons are sufficient. I’m going ahead and putting them on the rear also. From what I’ve seen online, there are a lot of performance cars with those add-ons, or something similar being used.

Bybotie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium, PP
Here’s the mockup I did on the drivers side of my DH with the Mach1 flares. Never mind the shiny bits of hardware as they were just what I had laying around at the moment; OEM pushpin fasteners will be used here as well. Everything fits snug and I’d say it’s like a 90 percent solution until Ford brings the price down of the OEM ones; my dealership hit me with those crazy prices as well. I say 90 percent because the front part of the flare doesn’t fully reach the splitter like the DH one does. The Mach1 has this sort of upwards slash cut design whereas the DH one continues down a few more inches to meet the splitter. I’ve circled that in red. Same in the rear. The tail of the flare is supposed to end near where the side skirt begins but this two is about 2 inches too shy. All in all, these minor differences to me aren’t all that noticeable and are a decent interim solution until the DH flares drop.
IMG_0817.jpeg
IMG_0818.jpeg
IMG_0819.jpeg
IMG_0820.jpeg
IMG_0821.jpeg
On the Mach 1 the flare would rotate towards the back of the fender wall and meet up with the side skirt. There is no gap at the front because of the front air dam. Here is my Mach 1, I installed the moldings myself. They came in the trunk. You would want the protectin towards the back as that is the direction the rocks will be going.

S650 Mustang Mach-1/Dark Horse Front Wheel Lip Mold Fender Flares 20210530_093541

S650 Mustang Mach-1/Dark Horse Front Wheel Lip Mold Fender Flares 20210530_093550

S650 Mustang Mach-1/Dark Horse Front Wheel Lip Mold Fender Flares 20210530_093654

JoseG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse Non-HP
On the Mach 1 the flare would rotate towards the back of the fender wall and meet up with the side skirt. There is no gap at the front because of the front air dam. Here is my Mach 1, I installed the moldings myself. They came in the trunk. You would want the protectin towards the back as that is the direction the rocks will be going.

20210530_093541.jpg

20210530_093550.jpg

20210530_093654.jpg
Thanks for the reply. Totally tracking how the lip moldings are to be positioned on the Mach 1. However, I modified these to work on my Dark Horse until Ford releases the OEM handling package ones for the DH. Given that the DH splitter doesn’t go up as high on the side of the bumper like the Mach1 ones, I had to rotate the flares forward to meet the front splitter. I think with how I mocked them up in my previous photos, they’re a decent interim solution.

JoseG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse Non-HP
I’m not sure, I held them up (fhe Mach 1 wheel lip molding) inside my fender well and they appeared to be plenty wide enough to handle the 305s I’m about to put on there. I’m having to put the LS1 add-ons on the car for now until I can get the OEM lip moldings, I hope those add-ons are sufficient. I’m going ahead and putting them on the rear also. From what I’ve seen online, there are a lot of performance cars with those add-ons, or something similar being used.
What are the LS1 add ons you’re talking about? Have any pictures?

JoseG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse Non-HP
Figured I’d add a little more detail to this thread for those of us still hunting for the DH fender flares. I was able to source a driver side DH flare and “should” have the passenger side one in a few weeks. Paid more than I wanted to but hey, nothings better than OEM. I have attached a few more photos with the Mach 1 flares I retrofitted to my DH to show how they look with wheels, tires, and a drop. The wheels are BC Forged EH172’s wrapped in Michelin PS4S (305/30/19 and 315/30/19) and they’re made to the HP wheel specs (19x10.5/11) with corresponding offsets. The vehicle is also lowered on some Ford Performance springs that provide a modest .78 inch of a drop. I added the DH HP larger front splitter as well. The Mach 1 flares are definitely made of a thicker material and are not as flexible as the OEM DH ones.
S650 Mustang Mach-1/Dark Horse Front Wheel Lip Mold Fender Flares IMG_1085
S650 Mustang Mach-1/Dark Horse Front Wheel Lip Mold Fender Flares IMG_1043
S650 Mustang Mach-1/Dark Horse Front Wheel Lip Mold Fender Flares IMG_1119
S650 Mustang Mach-1/Dark Horse Front Wheel Lip Mold Fender Flares IMG_1120

Race Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse - non HP
Looks really nice! I also purchased the handling package sized wheels and tires (aftermarket), and I am currently waiting on the lip molding so I can install them. Do you have part numbers for the Ford performance springs? I was thinking of going with dual rate Steeda springs, but I like the idea of sticking with Ford OEM parts
Sponsored