• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Installing K&N Intake Filters?

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
I tried installing one of the two K&N filters. The Ford filters come off easily. I could not get one of the K&N filters on. Just too tight. I even tried twisting it on, but the filter started to distort, so I stopped. The stainless-steel hose clamp was completely loose.
Suggestions?
Sponsored

Rocket Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 2024 GT (soon)
Some lube? Maybe some dish soap (just a little)
or maybe some silicone

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
or maybe some silicone
Looking at the filters, they are pretty well oiled up even on the mouth inside. I tried again, but this time I took the stainless-steel clamp off completely. Still a tight fit, but that made the difference. K&N filters seem a bit longer than factory as both were a tight fit in the air box. I double checked the orientation tab in the bottom of the box.

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
or maybe some silicone
Looking at the filters, they are pretty well oiled up even on the mouth inside. I tried again, but this time I took the stainless-steel clamp off completely. Still a tight fit, but that made the difference. K&N filters seem a bit longer than factory as both were a tight fit in the air box. I double checked the orientation tab in the bottom of the box.

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4, 2024 Mustang GT Vert PP NP
I get the impression your filters may have been "over-oiled"?
From K&N:
Oiled filters must be regularly cleaned, maintained and properly oiled, or else they can become detrimental to performance. You may have also heard that oiled filters can damage your mass airflow sensor (MAF). Let's nip this right in the bud. Usually the only way for something like this to happen is if you over-oil your filter when re-applying the oil. If there is too much oil on the filter, some of it can get sucked in through the cotton gauze and damage the MAF sensor. This is where you must be careful and follow the instructions on how to clean your oiled filter.

It's hard to gauge just how much oil to put on a filter. I tried the bottle, didn't like it, turned to the spray can, it was better but still had to be careful to not over-oil.

Today, I now prefer the dry filters due to the issues oil filters can cause.

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get the impression your filters may have been "over-oiled"?
From K&N:
Oiled filters must be regularly cleaned, maintained and properly oiled, or else they can become detrimental to performance. You may have also heard that oiled filters can damage your mass airflow sensor (MAF). Let's nip this right in the bud. Usually the only way for something like this to happen is if you over-oil your filter when re-applying the oil. If there is too much oil on the filter, some of it can get sucked in through the cotton gauze and damage the MAF sensor. This is where you must be careful and follow the instructions on how to clean your oiled filter.

It's hard to gauge just how much oil to put on a filter. I tried the bottle, didn't like it, turned to the spray can, it was better but still had to be careful to not over-oil.

Today, I now prefer the dry filters due to the issues oil filters can cause.
These were factory fresh, but oily - not dripping.
Thanks for the note though. I use a K&N on my Mini Cooper S many years ago. No problems.

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4, 2024 Mustang GT Vert PP NP
I am with you 100% RLE55. No oil filters for me either. These just came on the market for the 2024 GT. I have used these products before in my other GT's and am happy.
https://afepower.com/afe-power-10-10407dm-magnum-flow-pro-dry-s-air-filter
Used K&N Filter Oil for years for my Roush Mustang. When I got into road racing it, the shop that did all the work on the car told me stop using the oil filters, they can jam up the MAF and we switched to dry filters. Sold on them since. Quite surprising how much a gunked MAF can rob performance.

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Not very hard to properly oil air filters. I have never had a problem. If they cause problems it is user caused 100%.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Not very hard to properly oil air filters. I have never had a problem. If they cause problems it is user caused 100%.
But that is the problem. Sometime oversoaked based on the principle a little is good more must be better. Anyone remember the ā€˜greenā€™ reusable filter?

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
But that is the problem. Sometime oversoaked based on the principle a little is good more must be better. Anyone remember the ā€˜greenā€™ reusable filter?

NO, I would say "commonsense" should play a part in that, especially if people know there is a potential of MAF fouling/damage from over oiling.

JPGC_S650

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 2022 HD Road King Special
I tried installing one of the two K&N filters. The Ford filters come off easily. I could not get one of the K&N filters on. Just too tight. I even tried twisting it on, but the filter started to distort, so I stopped. The stainless-steel hose clamp was completely loose.
Suggestions?
They are kind of tight the first time you put them on. Mine were the same way and I did have a little distortion of the filters pressing them on. You could try a slight amount of motor oil to help. They will go on, just need a bit of oomph.

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are kind of tight the first time you put them on. Mine were the same way and I did have a little distortion of the filters pressing them on. You could try a slight amount of motor oil to help. They will go on, just need a bit of oomph.
True. For some reason they went on a bit easier when I completely removed the SS band. Replaced once the filters were seated.

JPGC_S650

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Used K&N Filter Oil for years for my Roush Mustang. When I got into road racing it, the shop that did all the work on the car told me stop using the oil filters, they can jam up the MAF and we switched to dry filters. Sold on them since. Quite surprising how much a gunked MAF can rob performance.
Never had an issue with K&N filters. Just have to know how to oil them after cleaning them. Its actually quite easy to get the oiling wrong since the fibers slowly soak up the oil and can look deceiving. I also periodically clean the MAF/MAP sensors which takes a few minutes...just in case.

JPGC_S650

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
True. For some reason they went on a bit easier when I completely removed the SS band. Replaced once the filters were seated.
Certainly...if those bands are just slightly too tight, it will not go on, lol.
Sponsored