• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

In case you were curious… here are the intake smog filters

Wiley Marmot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Prem
I did read here someone removed them and got check engine light. I don't see how that would effect it except the fuel/air ratio.
Anything altering the chemical composition of the air mass flowing past intake/exhaust sensors (especially O2 sensors) might very well trigger a CEL; as the sensor is telling the PCM Hey! This air is out of spec!".

Very common issue with Focus RSs (drove one for 3 years before trading on my GT). Mess with the intake, or worse, the down pipe/cat and you were almost guaranteed a P0420 code because of the altered air mass composition going past the down stream O2 sensor. I had a P0420 caused CEL on my RS's dash for the first 15 months of ownership. Had the catless down pipe swapped out for an OEM catted DP, and Livernois Motorsports adjusted my PCM parameters during a 93 O dyno tune. CEL = gone!
Sponsored

Last edited:

ShelbyMilk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 DH
There are many videos about "HP gains" from removing the filter and then some dynos that seem to put that to rest.
Removing the cover to allow better flow has some minimal impact. Removing the filters doesn't seem that difficult but the effort isn't worth it per the videos. ymmv

Mr Hyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Took mine out have 300 miles on the car when removed. no cel after driving 100 miles after removal and feels more responsive under the curve. Is it earth shattering nope worth it only you can decide. Still using factory filters BTW. The k and n filter for the 24 gt has a different part number then the universal. I watched a few videos decided to go with the steeds filters due to their honest video on the dyno. Now just need to save for my valvetronics active exhaust.

FarNorth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang
here’s a good description of what they do for the doubters out there. It’s actually an advert but it does a good job explaining their purpose.

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4, 2024 Mustang GT Vert PP NP
There's been thousands of performance car owners that upon getting their shiny new car, change out the air filters in hopes that it will increase HP and TQ and make their car more powerful and faster. Just about every Reputable Dyno Tuner will tell you...."that horse don't fly". Changing out the air filters ONLY, does very little that is measurable. Now....if you add a performance tune to the swap out, then you might very well gets some measurable improvements, but thats coming from the "tune". There's a renown mustang tuner in Palm Beach, FL, that I met in 2006, as he did some mild modifications to my wife's (minor) mustang as well as mine (major). His resume as a tuner is impressive and he mentioned to me once, changing out air filters to example "cone filters", won't do anything by themselves. In order to see any gains and improvements the car needs a new performance tune as the new filters more than likely will/have changed the parameters of A/F mixture etc. Today, these 5.0 Coyote engines are more advanced and sensitive and any changes to factory settings, can/will mess things up.
So....keep spending your money on air filters and after realizing they did not do what you expected...research performance shops that do in house dyno tunes.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
That’s actually why they are there.
And i repeat going against the grain. Vacuum from the intake causes airflow to go in not out, exhaust is out intake is in. If you have a muffler on your intake the flow is going the wrong direction.

FarNorth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang
And i repeat going against the grain. Vacuum from the intake causes airflow to go in not out, exhaust it out intake is in. If you have a muffler on your intake the flow is going the wrong direction.
Did you watch the video?
The engine is off, no vacuum.
Some are too dumb to deal with.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you watch the video?
The engine is off, no vacuum.
Some are too dumb to deal with.
And when the engine is off what vapors sneak past the closed throttle blade(s)?

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Watch the bloody video.
Did and still didn't see how an inline filter captures airflow going the opposite direction? Is it the pcv being routed into the intake that is the cause or vapors working their way back up past the valves and through the intake and under/over/past the throttle body blade(s) and then not only rise but fall in order to escape the intake tract and wiggle their way through the standard (oil soaked - hah) air filters?

FarNorth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang
Did and still didn't see how an inline filter captures airflow going the opposite direction? Is it the pcv being routed into the intake that is the cause or vapors working their way back up past the valves and through the intake and under/over/past the throttle body blade(s) and then not only rise but fall in order to escape the intake tract and wiggle their way through the standard (oil soaked - hah) air filters?
Again, did you watch the video I loaded on the traps? It explains the theory. If you disagree go argue with Ford Engineers and not me. Good God give it a rest.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Again, did you watch the video I loaded on the traps? It explains the theory. If you disagree go argue with Ford Engineers and not me. Good God give it a rest.
Yes, i repeat for pete’s sake. Lol. Unable to reply to the video so apologies if my retort finds you out of sorts.

Mr Hyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
It's not a filter it's a membrane that is essentially one way. hydrocarbons that are not heavier then gasses found in the atmosphere cant pass through it. They way they are in the mustangs intake tube's they act as a restrictor. Less air equals less fuel and therefore reduces tailpipe emissions. That's why there is no replacement part number and it's so easy to remove. It was simply a way to fudge numbers for café standards.
Sponsored