• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

What do you think of the service mode requirements?

• Total voters

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
there is one upside, the 4 piston, 6 piston, and parking brake calipers are really easy to take the pads out of, just take the clip off and slide them out, no removing the caliper
Help me out...how would you then drive the pistons back into the bore without removing the caliper or placing into service mode when you install your new, thicker brake pads?
Sponsored

OP
OP
roket

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
Help me out...how would you then drive the pistons back into the bore without removing the caliper or placing into service mode when you install your new, thicker brake pads?
you have to put it into service mode, not doing so can cause issues
you also need a brake pad spreader tool to push the pistons back into the calipers

S650 GT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Horse with Trailer
Can anybody explain what service mode actually does when turning it on?

OP
OP
roket

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
Can anybody explain what service mode actually does when turning it on?
service mode makes it significantly more difficult to damage your brakes by disabling the brake-by-wire system, as without enabling it you could push out one or more pistons out of the caliper if you press the brake pedal too much. it also disables the parking brake.

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
you have to put it into service mode, not doing so can cause issues
you also need a brake pad spreader tool to push the pistons back into the calipers
That's exactly what I was understanding the need for putting the brakes in service mode was. When the previous post said just slide the pads out, I knew that was incorrect. I will miss doing brakes the old school way, but this is just a quick extra step as long as it goes as intended.

I'm going to need to purchase that special tool for driving the rear pistons back into their bore for electronic parking brakes when it's time to replace the rear pads. Haven't needed one until now. Used to be an old brake pad and a C clamp was all you needed.

Mastermind46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Xterra, 2001 Chevy Silverado
A lot of other companies have already done this. Including Ford on other models. It can also be activated with the push of a button on service software. Vw software costs a decent amount of money but I think Ford's was pretty cheap. Actually having a way to activate service mode without software is nice too.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue 301A, PP2, Active Exhaust, Recaro's
There might be some confusion here. I believe the reference to sliding the pads out and not removing the caliper is only for those with Brembo brakes. If I recall there is a brake package that includes Brembo front and rear (just like GT350/500) for 2024. There are ways to push those pistons in without removing the calipers. If that's true you might want to look at something like this https://www.opmustang.com/store/p27...s_Brake_Caliper_Stud_Kit_GT350_-_GT500.html#/

Dig-It

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500KR (0758), GT500 (N2617)
This kit makes the S550 GT350 and GT500 front brake calipers easier to remove and negates the need to replace the the one time use caliper retaining bolts every time you want to change brake pads. From looking at all the of the DH and GT PP pics, I don’t think this caliper stud kit will be compatible with any S650 Mustangs shown so far. A piston compression tool (broad thin lever) should be the only special tool thats needed since it appears that both the front and rear brake calipers are fixed.

mcky2011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 Premium 21 F150 XLT 3.5
I just did this to do the rear brakes on my Fusion.
It must have been a real issue early on or they wouldn't have put that procedure in.
You can't mistakenly get in or out of the mode. Once you do it, it's farely straight forward though.

OP
OP
roket

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
There might be some confusion here. I believe the reference to sliding the pads out and not removing the caliper is only for those with Brembo brakes. If I recall there is a brake package that includes Brembo front and rear (just like GT350/500) for 2024. There are ways to push those pistons in without removing the calipers. If that's true you might want to look at something like this https://www.opmustang.com/store/p27...s_Brake_Caliper_Stud_Kit_GT350_-_GT500.html#/
it's not just the Brembo brakes, it's also the base GT front brakes
here's the directions from the workshop manual (for base GT front brakes, also applies to Brembo front and rear and parking brakes):

Activate the brake service mode.
Refer to: Brake Service Mode Activation and Deactivation (206-00 Brake System - General Information, General Procedures).

Remove the wheel and tire.
Refer to: Wheel and Tire (204-04A Wheels and Tires, Removal and Installation).
NOTE: Note the position of the components before removal.
  1. Remove the brake pad pins.
  2. Remove the brake pad spring.
  3. Remove the screw and tie rod.
S650 Mustang How to service your 2024 Mustang brakes 1685505018308

NOTICE: The operation for retraction of the pistons described below may cause a surge in the level of the brake fluid in the reservoir. Ensure that the fluid does not overflow, damaging the painted parts of vehicle.

NOTICE: Use care when pushing the caliper piston into the caliper piston bores or damage to components may occur.

If installing new brake pads.
Using a brake pad spreader tool, compress the brake caliper pistons and remove the brake pads.
Use the General Equipment: Brake Caliper Piston Retractor

S650 Mustang How to service your 2024 Mustang brakes 1685505111039

NOTE: Note the position of the components before removal.

Remove the brake pads. Discards if installing new.
S650 Mustang How to service your 2024 Mustang brakes 1685505153397

This kit makes the S550 GT350 and GT500 front brake calipers easier to remove and negates the need to replace the the one time use caliper retaining bolts every time you want to change brake pads. From looking at all the of the DH and GT PP pics, I don’t think this caliper stud kit will be compatible with any S650 Mustangs shown so far. A piston compression tool (broad thin lever) should be the only special tool thats needed since it appears that both the front and rear brake calipers are fixed.
you're right, the mounting is all new for these calipers and the only non-fixed ones are the base EcoBoost front calipers and the Non-HPP/Non-GTPP rear calipers (for those, it's pretty standard stuff)

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer ST, 2001 Avalon
Wait, I'm confused...
Why is this needed at all? Couldn't you just turn off the electronic parking brake (just like releasing the manual handle) and do your brakes like normal?

I guess if you really wanted to prevent electrical gremlins, you could just disconnect the battery after you've turned off the parking brake too. That would be 10x faster than all this jumping through hoops.

Ryunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 convertible, 1971 Mach1
Wait, I'm confused...
Why is this needed at all? Couldn't you just turn off the electronic parking brake (just like releasing the manual handle) and do your brakes like normal?

I guess if you really wanted to prevent electrical gremlins, you could just disconnect the battery after you've turned off the parking brake too. That would be 10x faster than all this jumping through hoops.
These processes across many auto lines are for safety, some (not all) calipers will "fight back" when pistons are pressed back manually.

Fords system is way user friendly compared to others.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT/CS, C6 Corvette, 1997 GT Convertable
I have a tool that sets the electronic brakes for service. Works on my current F150 and Edge, so I will just update it to work with the Dark Horse. Not really a big deal, I am retired have 6 cars and will be dead before I wear out the brakes.

OP
OP
roket

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
I have a tool that sets the electronic brakes for service. Works on my current F150 and Edge, so I will just update it to work with the Dark Horse. Not really a big deal, I am retired have 6 cars and will be dead before I wear out the brakes.
that's pretty cool, makes me think about making my own set of tools too

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT/CS, C6 Corvette, 1997 GT Convertable
that's pretty cool, makes me think about making my own set of tools too
I don’t want to mislead you, I bought a tool. Autel MaxiCheck Pro for ABS Brake Auto Bleeding, 2023 New OBD2 Scan Diagnostic Tool with SRS Airbag, Oil Reset, SAS, EPB, BMS for Specific Vehicles, Software Lifelong Free Update, NOT Support All Cars https://a.co/d/6jX7UAA
Sponsored