• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

How long before Ford Performance will offer a powerkit for the GT for this car?

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Time for a history lesson
1) making a warranty safe tune isn’t that hard at all really most of the aftermarket tuners damn near do it already if your stock and you don’t wanna go hunting for crazy records hahaha
2) the hard part is getting it carb certified it takes 6 months to 18 month sometimes longer, the 2018 mustang gt stage 1 tune took almost two years to come out and by then the aftermarket had the market cornered so the ford performance tune wasn’t really a hot seller. Previous on the 2015 mustangs ford racing “before it was ford performance” had that cool project to be the first group of people to get the Ecoboost into the 12s, N/A coyote 11s and boosted coyote 10s. This was early 2015 if y’all remember point being ford performance hasn’t really been pushing for alot of aftermarket tunes and support. They even canceled all the cool Gt350 parts like the “track key” 90 and 100mm throttle bodies all canceled because of cost overruns
3) lastly they had an interesting history of messing up there tunes out of the gate i got 3 good examples none of which hurt the cars but ended having to have updates or fixes after the fact
-11-14 mustang GT ford racing tune i personally ran it back in the day and it was a hot mess the big issue was the knock sensors would constantly go off because they retained the stock tunes god awful way it would flatten out the torque curve by leaning out too 14:1 at part throttle instead of closing the throttle body or pulling timing. For those that made it this far that’s why cylinder 8 was going out because a lot of the aftermarket tuners would either turn the knock sensors off or desensitize them, add timing and boom she done
-focus st frpp tune, boy this was a hot mess they had to recall the memory sticks and give out free updates to fix a god awful flat spot past 5000rpm the power curve would tank below stock, i DONT recall off hand exactly what the issue was, probably too aggressive on catalyst protection but they got it fixed
- track key and it’s loopy idle this was a huge problem because carb voided there tuning because you’re not supposed to change cam timing to that effect because it was messing with emissions. If you go back and find some of the pre production track key videos they had a very aggressive almost ghost cam idle to them but it was passing the sniff test. So they had to completely redo the tune and owners had to wait almost a year to get their cars flashed while people had put money down. It was an interesting time to be on the forums hahah

i like ford performance parts but unless they’re the only game in town or they do stage 2 and 3 kits again properly i wouldn’t waste my money IMO
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I’m legit surprised to see so many people ready to nuke their warranty for an extra 50-75hp on these things

Am I the only one who’s stomach gets in a knot about the idea of buying a brand new car and kissing a 5 year/60,000 powertrain warranty goodbye?

I’d rather have peace of mind and treat the throttle like those carnival hammer strength tests in stock form rather than losing sleep if I wanted to abuse it with a voided warranty, at least for the first half of that warranty
Back in 2011 when the coyotes came out I’d agree with you because we did have a lot of tuning issues but now i wouldn’t be the first guy testing crap but after a year i will not have a stock car. The days of wild tuning are pretty much over because if a tuner is blowing stuff up left and right they’re out of business this isn’t 2002 where you can kinda get away with. Sub par tuning isn’t acceptable but once in an blue some idiot will go to Billy bob dyno and pop a motor

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I just realized I’m like a halfway hypocrite since I bought a Civic Si back in December and already stuck a Ktuner and TSP flash on the thing… I just know if SHTF I can comfortably afford the bill.
That’s because the civic si’s have an open deck block and one of the crappiest stock clutches known to man. They’re a great car if you run a nice conservative tune, intercooler and daily it. But it’s no Honda of the past lol

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
That’s because the civic si’s have an open deck block and one of the crappiest stock clutches known to man. They’re a great car if you run a nice conservative tune, intercooler and daily it. But it’s no Honda of the past lol
Can confirm clutch is trash. If I set boost target to 25 (which is map 3 with the TSP tune I installed; factory is mid 17s) I'll get guaranteed clutch slip at 4500rpm. Also added an intercooler to the list because that's arguably just as bad--tune or not lol

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Can confirm clutch is trash. If I set boost target to 25 (which is map 3 with the TSP tune I installed; factory is mid 17s) I'll get guaranteed clutch slip at 4500rpm. Also added an intercooler to the list because that's arguably just as bad--tune or not lol
They even warn you not to run that map unless you want slip lmfao and an aftermarket clutch for them is really stupid expensive, i know few guys have done type R clutches but it’s got some things you have to change to install it not a good modding platform at all

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
They even warn you not to run that map unless you want slip lmfao and an aftermarket clutch for them is really stupid expensive, i know few guys have done type R clutches but it’s got some things you have to change to install it not a good modding platform at all
Lmao I know. If you run map 3 and leave it in normal, you can roll into the throttle and avoid slip-- since normal's throttle mapping isn't hilariously overboosted--but I just leave it map 2 and pretend that it's how they should've come from the factory

I don't understand the crowd that tries pushing this thing FBO, but as it is I wouldn't change it for any other commuter/daily under $35k

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Lmao I know. If you run map 3 and leave it in normal, you can roll into the throttle and avoid slip, but I just leave it map 2 and pretend that it's how they should've come from the factory

I don't understand the crowd that tries pushing this thing FBO, but as it is I wouldn't change it for any other commuter/daily under $35k
Honda is in a very weird place because while i like the new civic SI and it’s very affordable it’s like man you guys don’t wanna spend anything on reliability improvements, it’s just bare minimum engineering. That’s why you won’t see very many of them heavily modded long term without rotating assembly or at a min a clutch job

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Honda is in a very weird place because while i like the new civic SI and it’s very affordable it’s like man you guys don’t wanna spend anything on reliability improvements, it’s just bare minimum engineering. That’s why you won’t see very many of them heavily modded long term without rotating assembly or at a min a clutch job
100%, I just assume they're not catering toward the tuning crowd anymore

I've read about the issues with the L15B7 but there's surprisingly close to zero info on the L15CA in the FE1 Si. All I know is someone pushed too much boost and the rods went first so guessing that's still a carryover weakpoint. Also know that the L15s in the non-Si models are particularly bad

Don't think I'll run into issues at mid 20s boost though 😎

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
100%, I just assume they're not catering toward the tuning crowd anymore

I've read about the issues with the L15B7 but there's surprisingly close to zero info on the L15CA in the FE1 Si. All I know is someone pushed too much boost and the rods went first so guessing that's still a carryover weakpoint. Also know that the L15s in the non-Si models are particularly bad

Don't think I'll run into issues at mid 20s boost though 😎
I’d just run a basic 91 octane tune and leave it be

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'll give it two years, if it happens at all. The 18-21 kit wasn't too popular due to the cost and the relatively mild gains, and Ford doesn't want to dilute their special editions too soon. Now that the intake has been revised, there probably won't be much more to it than a filter change and tune, much like the Bronco.

OP
OP
Dave2013M3

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
My main goal would be able to install the 4.09 gears for the GT. Not so much for the power boost of the kit.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I'll give it two years, if it happens at all. The 18-21 kit wasn't too popular due to the cost and the relatively mild gains, and Ford doesn't want to dilute their special editions too soon. Now that the intake has been revised, there probably won't be much more to it than a filter change and tune, much like the Bronco.
This is right on the money, they 18-23 kit if it’s fully out. Is a bit of a dog’s breakfast it’s very expensive for the what 20-25hp gain and ford gave up on doing stage kits which is what they should of done for the gen 3 guys because the 15-17 kits are still very popular. Ford performance makes some nice parts/ tunes but they’re not worth the wait or the prices alot of the times just because it’s carb legal doesn’t mean it’s the best lol

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Last thing a good tuner and some high flow filters, could probably wake these cars right up. Id be willing to bet they’res a 15-20whp on the table in tuning and cam timing. NeverMind the fact you could just command both throttle to stay wide open vs keeping one closed to flatten the tq curve. Tuning this engine is going to be very interesting it’ll take a good while for tuners to get them right let alone get past the encryption
Sponsored