• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Heat extractor plug

1sttimestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S650
Good day, going to pickup s650 gt today which I plan to daily drive year round in Canada. Having this beautiful engine exposed to elements is a bad idea. Are there any options to plug it or the only solution is to replace with non gt hood?
Sponsored

Last edited:

KABStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT convertible, 2024 Mustang GT conv.
Great question. I picked up a 2024 GT vert on March 1 that is sitting in my garage in PEI awaiting better weather. I don’t plan on driving it year round, but given the snow, salt, sand, and other crap we get, I would not want that open to the elements during the winter. I just went out to the garage and popped my hood and had a look. Looks like 4 nuts holding on the grill. It may be possible to trim a fairly stiff rubber mat to fit in from below and wedge in the slot on one end, and if it had holes punched, use the existing fasteners. You could use Gorilla tape, or something similar to help secure it. The one question is, how much heat is generated from the engine in that area. Would it melt rubber or tape. Have a look when you get your car and let us know how you make out. What color did you get?

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I think you need to start by understanding what the vent actually does. Then take a close look at the 75 other places that water and dirt get in.

A modern vehicle's engine bay is not a delicate flower. Spray it with some all purpose cleaner and power wash it in the spring.

It's the suspension components that will show their age on a winter driven car, not the engine.

keithwalton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue Ember Dark Horse on order, Mercedes SLC
All of the vehicles i've previously owned that had 'hood' vents came with a metal blanking plate fitted by default with the instructions to remove the plate before spirited driving.
There are a number of aftermarket replacements for the vent, i suspect someone will do a blanking plate.
If not make your own from plate metal and put a seal around the perimeter of it.
I wouldn't use rubber like suggested due to the proximity of the engine

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
She’s got her own little cover for when she gets wet.

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GTP, PP,AVE,MR. 2018 Mustang GT PP1,
I don't usually drive in bad weather but I took delivery in the middle of winter here and have driven in rainy messy conditions as well as very cold temperatures , the engine bay is clean and I had no issues, I don't really see a need to cover the heat extractor.

Dxm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
ditto! I keep my car outside. I got my car in October. And with multiple snow/rain storms, the engine bay is surprisingly clean. Way cleaner than my 2007 GT looked. Another thing that the old car had which was mind-boggling: there was a bunch of electrical tape that got unraveled during my first road trip from NY to Indiana in 2007. This car looks pretty clean, and everything is still tidy after 5,500 miles and 5 months.
Sponsored