• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Gasoline options and recommendations

OP
OP
24BlueStang

24BlueStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost
2024 eco here as well and I only have Circle K or RaceTrack or a few local places where I live for gas I usually go back and forth between Circle K and Racetrack depending on price I am on my 4th tank now with 780 miles I think on the car.. I did 91 first 2 tanks on the 3rd 89 and now trying 87 ... my issue so far is $hitty gas mileage best I have gotten is 13.9 I am driving under 50 most of the time and just run to town to get food or etc I have made 2 small trips one to a town 15 miles away another to a town 25 miles away and my gas mileage went up to 17 for like a few hours then dropped back down this was on the two 91 tanks... I am thoroughly not happy with the gas mileage I am getting I drive like a granny I dont rev the car I dont accelerate hard at all for the most part.. what kind of mileage are you getting just curious?
Well this was the first tank of gas I’ve been through since getting the car last weekend. 300 miles. Hand calculated to 22.5mpg and I’m constantly getting on it at least twice a day. Only went above 3K rpm like 3-4 times though. I’ve drove in normal mode and sport mode only. I only live 7-8 miles from work and this is my only vehicle. Idk why you would be getting such low mpg. That’s kinda odd
Sponsored

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Thanks for confirming they don’t separate.

However, I can 100% guarantee some additives do work and work very well. Not all are created equal and there’s probably more that don’t work well. I have seen various engines, before and after, from boat motors, gas and diesels that have seen the benefits of additives over the last 30 years. The key is to use them before you have 100k miles of buildup. They are not a mechanic in a can however that so many think they are. White gas works wonders on carbon buildup and it was a very cheap option for diesel injector carbon buildup. Chem Dip too but you have to be careful using that stuff.
Whatever makes you feel better is your call. But, again, a top tier fuel requires no aftermarket additives to keep you engine clean. I used to think the same way you did ... until I spent 1.5 years in the downstream petroleum industry. I leaned a lot and had many of the myths debunked.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
Here in S.Cali all our fuel is required to be Tier1 and the fuel comes from the same refineries.

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
Whatever makes you feel better is your call. But, again, a top tier fuel requires no aftermarket additives to keep you engine clean. I used to think the same way you did ... until I spent 1.5 years in the downstream petroleum industry. I leaned a lot and had many of the myths debunked.
I would have to see torn down engines to believe without a doubt. I don’t doubt they help but a few factors come into play.
1) 90% (guesstimate)or more people don’t use top tier all the time.
2) many people don’t do proper oil changes at the correct time and use non top quality oil which doesn’t matter what fuel you burn can still cause carbon buildup. Short drives, weather temps, also come into factor
3) pcv systems are not all the same either. Some designs are better than others which can contribute to either side of the debate. A quality catch can will definitely help reduce carbon buildup but a poorly designed one won’t.

it’s been more than a few years since I’ve torn a motor apart but not so far back that top tier didn’t exist. I’ve seen engines under 25k miles have carbon buildup and over 100k with very little. Asking them what fuel they run was pointless most of the time. Only about 10% of the country buys fuel consistently that’s top tier. I always told, as did my friends, people to run top tier fuel if possible I wanted to run a reliable test on comparing top tier to non top tier and see what the inside looks like but could never find the time nor the environment to control the two. I’ve also read a few studies over the years supporting top tier fuels but non of them proved nor said that deposits were eliminated.

DevilDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT on order
I run Shell V-Power (93 octane) in my daily driver and the Mustang. Not sure that it's any better than other top tier gasoline, but I like it.

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited
Personally, I think the use of Top Tier fuels is more important than 87 vs. E87. The car is designed for the ethanol fuels, so that should be of no real concern if driven regularly. The cleaning power of top tier gas will help keep it running more efficiently for longer.
I use premium (91) in mine, and average 37mpg for mostly rural driving (55-65 mph, very few stops). I currently have around 6800 miles on it, so it is broken in by now.
I use 91 octane in all my vehicle's. đźš—
Even if the manufacturer says otherwise.
The highest octane we can get around here is 91.
The higher the octane the better your vehicle will perform.
Use both & make your decision.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The higher the octane the better your vehicle will perform.
This in not necessarily an accurate statement because it depends on the vehicle (engine).

If the engine was not designed to perform better with higher octane fuel (e.g., higher compression engine), running higher octane fuel will do nothing but help empty your wallet faster.

A higher octane level, alone, will not improve performance if the engine wasn't designed for it, nor will it clean engine deposits.

Further, a higher octane rating does NOT mean better fuel quality, either.

Fuels with higher octane ratings are made to be used to prevent engine knocking (mistiming combustion), not to clean them nor make them perform "better" unless the engine is designed for them - or - if the engine is knocking and pinging. As crazy as it sounds, many people get it backwards: They put higher octane fuel in their car when new, but when it gets older -- and starts actually needing it -- they switch to lower octane fuel.

Bottom line, if your owner's manual doesn't recommend or advise you to run higher octane fuel, don't - you're not benefitting from it.

Decio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
So far I have used Shell 91 exclusively in the Mustang and there's enough of them in the region that I should be able to sustain that.

I've used Speedway 87 almost exclusively in my '15 V6 Impala with an STP fuel system cleaner additive every 3 months and have no perceptible loss of power or fuel/engine issues to date. Take it for what it's worth. I have claimed hundreds in Speedway perks gift cards as a rewards member.

Any vehicle with a turbo that calls for higher octane should get it. Not many naturally-aspirated engines out there anymore, but my GT is :)

I recommend Andrews Federal Credit Union Titanium Visa for paying at the pump, or any other card that will give you 3% back on gasoline purchases.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I recommend Andrews Federal Credit Union Titanium Visa for paying at the pump, or any other card that will give you 3% back on gasoline purchases.
PNC Bank Cash Rewards Visa - 4% off all gasoline purchases (up to $8K/yr)

Pentagon Federal Credit Union Platinum Rewards: 5x points off all gasoline purchases. They are "points" that can be used to purchase Visa Debit cards that work out to ~4.25% off.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
PNC Bank Cash Rewards Visa - 4% off all gasoline purchases (up to $8K/yr)

Pentagon Federal Credit Union Platinum Rewards: 5x points off all gasoline purchases. They are "points" that can be used to purchase Visa Debit cards that work out to ~4.25% off.
I prefer station branded gas cards - with points/discount, If it gets snagged via the swipe no big deal can only purchase fuel and soda.

Decio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
I use PenFed Pathfinder for 4X travel. Really between Andrews, PenFed and NASA (best CD rates) you can't go wrong with an FCU.

That PNC looks interesting. Worth checking out.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I prefer station branded gas cards - with points/discount, If it gets snagged via the swipe no big deal can only purchase fuel and soda.
Federal law limits consumers' liability for physical credit card fraud to $50.

If the number is stolen (you still retain the card), then your liability is $0.

Many issuers offer $0 in either case, including:
  • American Express
  • Bank of America®
  • Barclaycard
  • Capital One
  • Chase
  • Citibank
  • Discover
  • PNC Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank
  • Wells Fargo

Reactions: Zig

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Federal law limits consumers' liability for physical credit card fraud to $50.

If the number is stolen (you still retain the card), then your liability is $0.

Many issuers offer $0 in either case, including:
  • American Express
  • Bank of America®
  • Barclaycard
  • Capital One
  • Chase
  • Citibank
  • Discover
  • PNC Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank
  • Wells Fargo
Although the unknown hassle - priceless.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That PNC looks interesting. Worth checking out.
If you want to apply online, you have to be an existing PNC Bank customer (online banking). If you're not, the you simply have to call and apply by phone.

Last year, we reached the $8K limit before the end of the year, so we had my wife apply and get her own. Now we're good up to $16K/yr in purchases with rewards (the car is not limited to just rewards for gas, but there are other cards with more rewards than this for non-gasoline).

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Although the unknown hassle - priceless.
What unknown hassle?

If/When you see fraudulent charges, you call them, they reverse them. Easy peasy. Absolutely zero hassle.

More often than not, they call YOU to advise your card/number was compromised.

We've had a card number compromised 3x over the past ~10 years or so (best of my recollection). The bank contacted us after they denied the charge and locked the card -- all before we knew it. Once was Citibank and twice was Bank of America.
Sponsored