• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

G87 M2 Dyno Numbers

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Well, sure looks like BMW did it again. As always, highly underrating power output.

I wonder how much power the 5.0 in the 7th Gen Mustang actually makes at the crank and at the wheels?

G87 M2
465 Wheel HP (540 Crank HP)
412 Ft-Lbs. Wheel Torque (490 Crank Ft-Lbs.)

Say what you will about the looks, but really pushes the power out. For the same price as a Dark Horse and arguably much better build quality it might be something to look into.

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/04/f...m2-results-in-impressive-465hp-to-the-wheels/
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 ND2 30th anniversary
Well, looks like BMW did it again. As always, highly underrating power output.

I wonder how the 5.0 in the 7th Gen Mustang actually makes at the cranks and at the wheels.

G87 M2

Say what you will about the looks, but really pushes the power out. For the same price as a Dark Horse and arguably much better build quality it might be something to look into.

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/04/f...m2-results-in-impressive-465hp-to-the-wheels/
Yes and at least here in Sweden the starting price is most likely less than a base DH. The road tax is also half for the first three years!

List price compared to a base Mach 1 the prices are the same here. If the DH HP could be had for the same then I would go for the HP. But we don't get the HP this side of the pond...

Some lowering and aftermarket wheels makes it look pretty good

S650 Mustang G87 M2 Dyno Numbers 1683115538091

S650 Mustang G87 M2 Dyno Numbers 1683115557936

S650 Mustang G87 M2 Dyno Numbers 1683115571625

S650 Mustang G87 M2 Dyno Numbers 1683115584227

Last edited:

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
Well, looks like BMW did it again. As always, highly underrating power output.

I wonder how the 5.0 in the 7th Gen Mustang actually makes at the cranks and at the wheels.

G87 M2

So the number they advertised was essentially the whp. That's insane. Aside from some "dyno outliers" Ford very slightly under-rated the M1/bullitt. But we are talking 10-15HP maybe, not 80-90 like the above.

OP
OP
Baldilocks

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the number they advertised was essentially the whp. That's insane. Aside from some "dyno outliers" Ford very slightly under-rated the M1/bullitt. But we are talking 10-15HP maybe, not 80-90 like the above.
Yes. BMW seems to always underrate by quite a lot. Even the M240i, which is advertised as making 382 Net HP, is making 380 to the wheels itself. Hence the 3.8 second 0-60 and 11.9 quarter mile for the XDrive model.

OP
OP
Baldilocks

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes and at least here in Sweden the starting price is most likely less than a base DH. The road tax is also half for the first three years!

List price compared to a base Mach 1 the prices are the same here. If the DH HP could be had for the same then I would go for the HP. But we don't get the HP this side of the pond...

Some lowering and aftermarket wheels makes it look pretty good

1683115571625.png
I've priced the M2 here at around $66,000 USD. The Dark Horse variant that I spec'd was also $66,000 USD. Going to a tough choice....

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 ND2 30th anniversary
I've priced the M2 here at around $66,000 USD. The Dark Horse variant that I spec'd was also $66,000 USD. Going to a tough choice....
The M2 is going to be quicker in street use application, not to mention what a simple tune does for it.... Both are more or less the same when it comes to practicality/impracticality

However there is still something about the Mustang which makes it not as "precise" and digital as the M2. I guess most of it it is the engine and exhaust note(specially in the US as you don't have any GPF). I would go for the DH HP with recaros as the car feels more special (not even seen one but still :D.). I cannot put my finger on it but the DH with HP is more special even if it is not "as good" as the M2.

With all of that said If I was in the US I would most likely buy a ZL1 1LE if those are still available for a reasonable price

Last edited:

V10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Viper, '21 M2 Competition, '22 S1000RR
As a previous gen M2 owner the new ones are ugly af, BUT, that S58 motor is pretty stout. Theres already modded '23 M2 out there with minor bolton (downpipes, intake, tune, e85) doing over 720whp. See what the beaver grill m3/m4 are doing, running 9's with those boltons.

However, these cars are so heavy, I think 300lbs+ heavier than the previous gen M2, (new m2 is around 3900lbs!!). I hope the Competition and CS editions look better and drop significant weight.

Darkness24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang Gt Ordered 2024 Dark Horse Premium
Amazing power BUTT UGLY IMO! Could not would not want to be seen in something that Fugly!

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
Every German manufacturer advertises whp as they should. Only the Americans put out these pathetic crank numbers for marketing... The S550 Coyote really is a 410-420hp car. The DH will be a ~460hp car, at best. "Some 500hp, 100hp per liter" my a$$.
I as a customer feel betrayed as I was promised a 500hp car but I'll never be able to reproduce those numbers, only in theory. Same goes for the 1-foot rollout or prepped surfaces in general... Literally creating a fake environment to come up with marketing numbers...
To me Ford always OVER-rates the Mustang substantially. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche... They all under-rate their cars but only slightly. On average (~10-20hp). My current BMW is underrated by 12hp (average measure on two dynos). Only their high performance cars put out way more than advertised but as a customer that's a much better experience than the other way around.

goodlettjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Every German manufacturer advertises whp as they should. Only the Americans put out these pathetic crank numbers for marketing... The S550 Coyote really is a 410-420hp car. The DH will be a ~460hp car, at best. "Some 500hp, 100hp per liter" my a$$.
I as a customer feel betrayed as I was promised a 500hp car but I'll never be able to reproduce those numbers, only in theory. Same goes for the 1-foot rollout or prepped surfaces in general... Literally creating a fake environment to come up with marketing numbers...
To me Ford always OVER-rates the Mustang substantially. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche... They all under-rate their cars but only slightly. On average (~10-20hp). My current BMW is underrated by 12hp (average measure on two dynos). Only their high performance cars put out way more than advertised but as a customer that's a much better experience than the other way around.
So you KNOW it is rated at the crank and not the wheel and yet you still feel betrayed. Why don't you also complain about metric vs imperial measurements. Jeez. Some people find anything to be upset about. Be better.

erocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT Premium, '09 Lexus IS250 AWD
I've really like the 1 and 2 series since they came out. It's unfortunate the newer 2 series has gotten larger but I saw one in person the other day and I really like the way it looks.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Literally nobody advertises whp

BMW started underrating engines as early as the E9X era with its first array of mass-produced, turbocharged N54 engines and have been continuing this trend for for about 15 years now

And Ford’s not underrating their engines at all, tf? They consistently produce figures in line with typically-accepted parasitic losses

If anything, BMW and Porsche are the only OEMs that *consistently* underrate their outputs

JS1951

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander, hayabusa
Hi HP. My wife X'd the M2 and the 440i x-drive because they are ugly. I'm getting the mustang. She picked the color. Life is good.

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Hi HP. My wife X'd the M2 and the 440i x-drive because they are ugly. I'm getting the mustang. She picked the color. Life is good.
Wait till she hears it 😁

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Too bad we can’t claim: Torque Conversion Chart Metric to English….
Sponsored