• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Ford Performance Teases All-New NASCAR Next Gen Mustang for Global Mustang Week; Race Car Debuts May 5

DEARBORN, Mich., April 15, 2021 – Ford and NASCAR look to the future next season, welcoming the Next Gen era with an all-new Mustang race car from Ford Performance that will compete in the NASCAR Cup Series starting in February 2022.

Race fans and Mustang enthusiasts will get their first chance to see the NASCAR Next Gen Mustang on May 5 at its public unveiling. Until then, Ford Performance shares this taste of the car’s first laps around historic Martinsville Speedway, accompanied by the thunderous soundtrack of a powerful Roush Yates Ford V8 racing engine.

“We couldn’t be more excited to show off the NASCAR Next Gen Mustang to Mustang enthusiasts and Ford race fans around the world,” said Mark Rushbrook, global director, Ford Performance Motorsports. “This is truly a game-changing redesign for the sport of NASCAR, and we expect everyone is going to love the result of the countless hours of work by those of us at Ford Performance and our partners in NASCAR. Mustang Week is the perfect opportunity to showcase a quick tease of this exciting new race car.”

Ford and NASCAR have spent thousands of hours designing the new body. Development continues at Ford’s racing center in Charlotte, North Carolina, using the same simulation and design equipment that’s used to design all-new vehicles, like Mustang Mach-E.

To date, Mustang has 31 wins in the NASCAR Cup Series since becoming Ford’s flagship model for the series in 2019, and is coming off a 2020 campaign that saw it win a season-high 18 races and capture the manufacturers’ championship for Ford.

2021 marks the sixth straight year of Mustang’s reign as the world’s best-selling sports coupe.
Sponsored

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
Man, I f'in love NASCAR. Can't wait for these new cars. I hope they're are less aero-dependent. They are supposed to be.
I really wonder about Chevy. Yeah, the new car will probably come out as a Camaro, but what happens when they kill it in a year or two?

I'm no chevy fan, but I don't want the Camaro to die. But I really don't see it continuing. Maybe now that the Corvette is more differentiated? I dunno.

Chevy has no other car that they could use for the NASCAR bodies. No sedans.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
It'll be interesting to see what it looks like.

However, the current Mustang Nascar looks more like some of the less successful S550 photoshops :giggle:

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 10 Gear
Man, I f'in love NASCAR. Can't wait for these new cars. I hope they're are less aero-dependent. They are supposed to be.
I really wonder about Chevy. Yeah, the new car will probably come out as a Camaro, but what happens when they kill it in a year or two?

I'm no chevy fan, but I don't want the Camaro to die. But I really don't see it continuing. Maybe now that the Corvette is more differentiated? I dunno.

Chevy has no other car that they could use for the NASCAR bodies. No sedans.
I am the opposite on the aero. Between no qualifying last year and certain restrictions they have given smaller teams a shot again. It’s gotten super competitive again.

What I want to know is how they can make these cars so compatible with different bodies. Seems like it could never be a true level playing field. They seem to do it though.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see the aero being the main driver of cost. That puts teams like Hendrick/Gibbs/Penske at a HUGE advantage. The science and engineering that go into computer simulations, fluid dynamics, etc cost millions. NASCAR limits actual wind tunnel testing, so that cost shifts to teams, and requires them to do it with computers.

As an example, the current front splitter arrangement, along with the removal of the ride height rule (in CUP) drove teams to engineer springs that would hold the car up to be at inspection height at rest, but as soon as downforce was applied, the springs collapse into full spring bind. What does that do? Sets the front splitter (and rear spoiler angle) at the exact height above the track that teams want.

They need to get these cars up off the ground. It's not a F1 car, it's a stock car. The grip should come from tires, not aero grip.

Plus, with this package, once a dude is out front (ie. his car is seeing clean air, the air for which it was designed) they're hard to pass. These last two years were better, IMO because they took a lot of area off of the splitter and radiator pan area. Gonna be even smaller on the next gen.

All IMHO, of course. :)

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
I think you read more out of this than it really is. It sounds more like it is just the new Nascar design, which should not automatically tease the next gen Mustang. Maybe it just looks like a GT500 or Mach1.
Of course a real Mustang7 teaser would be great, but I am not quite sure what to expect from this news

Last edited:

Chadillac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'96 Mustang GT, '73 El Camino, '12 Mazdaspeed3
I’m 10,000% certain this is just the “7th gen” nascar design. Not “7th Gen” mustang unfortunate coincidence with nicknames.

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
I’m 10,000% certain this is just the “7th gen” nascar design. Not “7th Gen” mustang unfortunate coincidence with nicknames.
Right, but won't the redesigned NASCAR at least give us some design element clues for the actual car?

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I think you read more out of this than it really is. It sounds more like it is just the new Nascar design, which should not automatically tease the next gen Mustang. Maybe it just looks like a GT500 or Mach1.
Of course a real Mustang7 teaser would be great, but I am not quite sure what to expect from this news
Agreed. I don't think this has anything to do with the S650. I believe this is just the next evolution for Nascar on the current S550. Likely for competitive reasons or to make the cars more closely resemble the actual street cars.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NASCAR will not/cannot show anything before Ford lets them. I'd imagine that any NASCAR body that's modeled after the '23 Mustang would not be shown before FORD officially releases the new design. The body for the '22 season will be based off the current Mustang. No doubt.

We all know how tight they are with new designs lately.

fpvfan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 mustang GT
Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing the next gen mustang, especially this four-door version. At the current moment, I have my eyes set on a Dodge Charger but if Ford does a good job with the upcoming Mustang 4-door then I will continue on with Ford. Hopefully, we will get an AWD version with the 5.0L Coyote V8 to do battle with the Charger-392 and a 415hp 3.0L V6 to compete with the Charger R/T 5.7 as well.

Chadillac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Right, but won't the redesigned NASCAR at least give us some design element clues for the actual car?
I’m pretty sure the “new nascar” is gonna still be modeled after the current mustang. Unless Ford pulls a Toyota Supra stunt and unveils the race car version first. But I doubt that.

Chadillac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed. I don't think this has anything to do with the S650. I believe this is just the next evolution for Nascar on the current S550. Likely for competitive reasons or to make the cars more closely resemble the actual street cars.
Exactly what it is. And they have some fancy new wheels

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
It would be very surprising for Ford to reveal any of the S650's styling cues on a racing car before the reveal of the production model. But Ford moves in mysterious ways these days!

Fingers crossed we'll see some S650 prototypes soon after???

I sure hope so. I appreciate modern computer design means the vast majority of S650's design will be complete without needing to turn a wheel, so those camo'd prototypes aren't required until much later in the design phase..........but I seem to have been waiting to see a fully camo'd prototype for years now!
Sponsored