• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Ford Aerodynamics

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4, 2024 Mustang GT Vert PP NP
Very informative reading..

OP
OP
jimbo67

jimbo67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Matter, PP, NPP
Yeah, it was. I still haven't done anything with the splash shields yet. I am going to wait, probably no harm in doing so. Just wish someone would respond and if they are there for a reason. They changed alot under the car who knows?

Decio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
Can anyone with a LinkedIn account contact Jonathan Gesek at Ford and ask him about the openings in the wheel wells AKA gravel catchers? Maybe he'd be kind enough to join us here.

If the openings help cool the brakes, that's one thing. If it's about shaving tenths of a second off my lap time or adding a few more miles to the gallon, I'll gladly forfeit both to keep gravel, water, and anything else those sticky summer tires kick up out of the inside of my GT. Looked like a quarry under the car when it finally went up on a lift by the time it was cleaned out!

Glad I got to put the top down for a couple of days before rain soaks my area for the next few days.

JAM486HP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
I'm leaving mine alone... Either way clearly not simply an "oversight"

OP
OP
jimbo67

jimbo67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Matter, PP, NPP
In all honesty these cars aren't ment for dirt roads. It's not a WRX.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
Gravel ends up in random places on GT350s… famous for the rear pan by the exhaust…

I would imagine it would cost Ford more to create the holes behind the wheels then to leave the panel solid… it’s an extra manufacturing step…

There is a reason they are there

Personally I wouldn’t go covering up the holes until I had a solid understanding of what they do..

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Gravel, small rocks, dirt, debris, glass, and all kinds of other crap is all over the roads. There's no way around it.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Gravel ends up in random places on GT350s… famous for the rear pan by the exhaust…

I would imagine it would cost Ford more to create the holes behind the wheels then to leave the panel solid… it’s an extra manufacturing step…

There is a reason they are there

Personally I wouldn’t go covering up the holes until I had a solid understanding of what they do..
Agree

It doesn't stop self proclaimed experts on here from ridiculing Ford though! The best one was the categorical statement from somebody that the hood vent was complete rubbish as it exits in front of the radiator and so Ford are stupid - turns out it isn't Ford that are stupid!

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Agree

It doesn't stop self proclaimed experts on here from ridiculing Ford though! The best one was the categorical statement from somebody that the hood vent was complete rubbish as it exits in front of the radiator and so Ford are stupid - turns out it isn't Ford that are stupid!
Ford isn't stupid, they are actually quite smart with their planned obsolescence.
Keep the holes there and tell everyone it is for 'aerodynamics.'
Meanwhile for those that drive in winter all that salt water slush that will get in there and rust the frame away over time will hopefully make a customer come back to buy another car.
They have the engineers (and bean counter accountants) that will definitely make the 1st owner happy, at least until the warranty is up. 😋

Darkness24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang Gt Ordered 2024 Dark Horse Premium
I'm leaving mine alone... Either way clearly not simply an "oversight"
I was astonished by the quantity of rocks in that area, especially since the car had only traveled a few hundred miles and hadn't been on any dirt roads. I couldn't ignore it, knowing the damage it would cause.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
It’s one thing to use cheaper parts that won’t last 200k miles… it’s another to suggest that Ford created additional expense to make something fail earlier… making those holes cost Ford money…

Plus is they really did do that so the S650 would fail …

Then what did they do that you can’t see?
What if they designed all your screens to fail after so many years too?

Those saying that Ford created the holes just so the car would fail are not exactly putting the S650 in a good light

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GTP, PP,AVE,MR. 2018 Mustang GT PP1,
That is a good article but I didn't see anything addressing the holes specifically and If the holes are there for a reason then why can't my dealer get an answer from Ford as to why they exist? My Mustang was delivered with 20 miles on it, I drove it home on paved roads and with a total of 25 miles on it there was debris in the frame behind the hole, I really don't want so much to get in there that it will trap moisture. I figure that at the speeds I drive any aero benefit is far less then the possible corrosion in that area. I can always remove the coveres if needed.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Can anyone with a LinkedIn account contact Jonathan Gesek at Ford and ask him about the openings in the wheel wells AKA gravel catchers? Maybe he'd be kind enough to join us here.
Someone I work with is friends with Jonathan's boss.

I gave him my questions, a pic, a link to the YouTube video, and my email address. I'm hoping this gets passed along to Jonathan and I get some clarification for everyone (including myself).

Jonathan has become somewhat of a celebrity since those articles on the S650 came out.
Sponsored

Last edited: