• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

First oil change.. 9.5qt?

Dapsters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 gt premium performance package vapor blue
Yo, so I finally got my first oil change at 5k miles. I wanted to do it earlier, but the dealership insisted on waiting. I don't plan on keeping this car for more than 3 years, so I'm not too worried about it. But man, I miss my 550.

Anyway, the technician told me the oil capacity was 9.5 quarts. I checked online and saw that it says 10 quarts or 9.5 liters in the owner's manual.

Ford's software does say 9.5 quarts or 9.0 liters, they gave me a printout.

I don't get it. But whatever, I just added another half quart and now it's all good.
Sponsored

Rocket Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 2024 GT (soon)
What oil did they use and what oil did you add?

OP
OP

Dapsters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What oil did they use and what oil did you add?
They used 5w30 Motorcraft and I did too

Also, I got the good old coyote tick pretty bad now

S650 Mustang First oil change.. 9.5qt? 20240404_144642

Rocket Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, 2024 GT (soon)
that's really odd since everywhere else says 10 QTs.

Reactions: DCS
OP
OP

Dapsters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
that's really odd since everywhere else says 10 QTs.
Only thing I can think of is maybe the new models with start-stop take 9.5 and they just changed the documents for all of them

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
I was 1qt low when I checked after driving home from the dealer. Car had less than 25 miles. I added 1/2 qt 5-30w Ford blended to bring it up to the mddle of the safe zone on the dipstick. Checked it again at 500 miles and it hasn't changed. I don't see what S/S has to do with oil amounts.

keithwalton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue Ember Dark Horse on order, Mercedes SLC
Did they not check the dipstick after the change to verify it was correct?
Did you check the dipstick before you added more ?

Change amounts can vary from dry fill capacity as when there are things like oil coolers not all of the oil will come out through the drain plug.

I do wonder if during factory fill that they're accounting for vehicles with extra coolers or not.
Or if they're firing the engine before doing a final fill check.

I also wonder what the oil circuit looks like and whether oil always goes through the external coolers or whether they have a thermo bypass valve on it. I'm hoping the engine also has an oil to water heat exchanger as well ...

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
Sorry this was when I picked up the car new that I had ordered. I checked oil when I got home. PDI dealer must have thought all was good. Not sure about oil cooler question. I do have PP. I have been checking oil on cars for over 60 years on customer cars as well as my own.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Yo, so I finally got my first oil change at 5k miles. I wanted to do it earlier, but the dealership insisted on waiting....
Is it your car or theirs? That's like the counter gal at McDonald's telling that you aren't hungry.

Or did you buy a maintenance plan or something?

keithwalton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue Ember Dark Horse on order, Mercedes SLC
Sorry this was when I picked up the car new that I had ordered. I checked oil when I got home. PDI dealer must have thought all was good. Not sure about oil cooler question. I do have PP. I have been checking oil on cars for over 60 years on customer cars as well as my own.
Sorry i was referring to the OP that had the oil change then decided to add oil ...

When ever i change my own oil i'll check the dipstick before draining it, then approximate how much is drained by filling up old oil bottles (ready for disposal)
Then adding that much back in, check that it's on the dipstick range adjust if not.
Fire it and let it warm up so that all the coolers engage.
Then let it cool, check it and top it up to just under max.

Usually works well, only pain was the S85 that had a scavenge sump that held 2L of oil and an electric only dipstick ...
That was a similar 9L oil change and when only 7L comes out of the drain plug you wonder what you've done wrong.

Ryunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 convertible, 1971 Mach1
Just did my 1k on the DH, used Motorcraft filter FL2127 and 10 quarts of Motorcraft full synthetic oil. No mysterious coyote tic noises.

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
Ryunker... Did you prefill the filter? I have always done this for a longtime. Plenty of controversy on doing this. It might not make any difference but my 2011 has no tick.

OP
OP

Dapsters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is it your car or theirs? That's like the counter gal at McDonald's telling that you aren't hungry.

Or did you buy a maintenance plan or something?
I bought the maintenance plan, I'm not sure why honestly. I've never let anyone touch my vehicles before but this is also my first brand-new car and wasn't sure about me doing any maintenance on it and having to fight with ford for any warranty work

S650 Mustang First oil change.. 9.5qt? 20230916_144216

Did the oil change on my 22 gt pp1 (super tech bottle is for my 95 f150) idk why I psyched myself out on this car. Kinda most of the reason I'm not enjoying it.. I feel like I can't touch it

Last edited:
OP
OP

Dapsters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did they not check the dipstick after the change to verify it was correct?
Did you check the dipstick before you added more ?

Change amounts can vary from dry fill capacity as when there are things like oil coolers not all of the oil will come out through the drain plug.

I do wonder if during factory fill that they're accounting for vehicles with extra coolers or not.
Or if they're firing the engine before doing a final fill check.

I also wonder what the oil circuit looks like and whether oil always goes through the external coolers or whether they have a thermo bypass valve on it. I'm hoping the engine also has an oil to water heat exchanger as well ...
He didn't check the dipstick, I figured 9.5 wasn't in the danger zone. After I let the car sit for 15m while talking to them I checked the dipstick and it was barely above the bottom of the crosshatches, after I added what I had in my trunk (old car habits, I always keep a bottle of oil in the trunk)

Now it's sitting 3/4ths in the cross hatch marks

erocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT Premium, '09 Lexus IS250 AWD
Their info is wrong. It's 10 quarts on the nose.
Sponsored